Your all time top 10 films

Originally posted by @Furball

Would whoever started this MBE thing please accompany me over to the TSW assisted suicide thread?

There’s so much (easy) mileage to be had with Whitey ‘Burning Cross’ Grandad on that thread. I just can’t bring myself to do it.

You may well be confused. What exactly am I supposed to have said about Bryan Gould that relates to this?

You dismissed his views on Corbyn because of what you thought his views on Blair were.

Also, I’m not defending Allen, merely pointing out (a) that none of this stuff has actually been tested in a court of law; and (b) it is distinguishable from considering his creative work and its merit.

The public prosecutor said that they had enough evidence to convict, but did not want to put the child through the rigours of the trial.

As you say, it has never been proven in a court of law, but the stuff that the judge has said on record is pretty damning. FWIW, if-in-doubt-leave-it-out is a consistent personal position. I’ve never been able to listen to a Who track since Pete Townsend was arrested for research.

1 Like
  1. I don’t recall saying any such thing about Bryan Gould, nor do I see its relevance to this. Can you find the quote, rather than winging it?

2. You do realise that a public prosecutor prosecutes, right? He or she doesn’t adjudicate the case - they merely present the worst possible case against the accused for the prosecution.

3. To repeat (!), that in any case is not my argument; it is rather that the creative work stands and should be judged on its own merits and not mushed in with the personal lives of its creator(s).

And again, what’s your point about Ike Turner being ‘off the menu’? What does that mean?

1. I don’t recall saying any such thing about Bryan Gould, nor do I see its relevance to this. Can you find the quote, rather than winging it?

I posted an article by Bryan Gould. You said:-

Written by a dyed-in-the-wool Blairite.

So I’m not saying that you made accusations of child abuse, and I never did. KRG has a problem with Allen because of things he has said or done in the past. You say he shouldn’t dismiss Allen’s films because accusations of paedophilia have been chucked his way, yet you’re apparently okay with dismissing Gould’s entire contribution in one line because you thought he was a Blairite.

Same thing going on, except KRG is miffed about child abuse and you’re possibly miffed about people being Blairites. You’re both distrustful of the message on the basis of the messenger.

And again, what’s your point about Ike Turner being ‘off the menu’? What does that mean?

People don’t like domestic violence. His career effectively ended in the late 70s. Tina Turner was one of the most successful recording artists of the 1980s. I wonder why.

“Yeah I hit her, but I didn’t hit her more than the average guy beats his wife”

Oh dear.

You’ve forgotten that I retracted that, because I’d confused Philip Gould with Bryan Gould. I do think a political perspective has a bearing on what one might say! Politicians and poltiical advisors are not producing creative works (god forbid such an idea!!) but are arguing precisely about morality and public life…all the things that make up national and party politics.

You can say Ike Turner is ‘off the menu’ is often as you like. It doesn’t alter the fact, or the point I was making, that he was a brilliant innovator who was considered to have made the first rock-n-roll record.

I think I do get that people don’t like domestic violence. I’m not a fan of it myself (!) But it pisses me off enormously to have you imply that I somehow condone his behaviour by saying that Rocket 88 was the beginning of a new musical form (evolving out of R&B).

Beyond that, I’m not going to make any further comment on that because it’s getting in the way of an interesting thread. Interesting this isn’t

It actually doesn’t matter. You were prepared to bury any sentiment that article might have had because you didn’t like the author. The fact that you read the author’s name incorrectly is completely irrelevant.

KRG is uneasy about Allen’s films because of some high profile allegations that have been chucked at him.

I was therefore surprised that you recommend that KRG give Allen a chance despite his misgivings.

I did say he is a great film-maker and that Annie Hall is great. I take nothing away from him as a creator, just that it makes viewing uncomfortable for me.

3 Likes

Zulu - never tire of seeing this film

Doctor Zhivago - fell in love with Julie Christie

A Clockwork Orange - they dont make films like this any more

Jaws - or at least until the rubber shark emerged. Before that it was a masterpiece of building tension

Donny Darko - still dont quite get it

Lawrence of Arabia - an epic

Ben Hur - Another epic

Mony Pythons Holy Grail - Makes Ben Hur look like an epic

Life of Brian - no brainer

The Man With Two Brains - a two brainer

1 Like

He’s tough and not very tasty unless martinated in red wine for a long time.

I have a problem compiling a top ten of films because every time I see other people’s lists I think “Wow, actually that was a good film, that should be in my top 10”

Anyway, some favourites :-

* The Green Mile

* Shawshank Redemption

* Alien

* Aliens

* Galaxy Quest

* Guardians of the Galaxy

* Flash Gordon

* Highlander (certainly not for the acting!!)

* The Wedding Singer (in fact any film with Drew Barrymore alongside Adam Sandler, their on screen chemistry makes for a good fillum)

* 1941 ( :blush: :blush: :blush: for the original mistake)

* etc. etc. etc. etc.

1 Like

The Great Race with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon - Classic film - absolutely loved it as a kid

Originally posted by @BTripz

* Galaxy Quest

A better Star Trek movie than most Star Trek movies.

Enjoyed it, but…

* Flash Gordon

First film I ever saw in the cinema. We were supposed to go and see Snow White.

* The Wedding Singer (in fact any film with Drew Barrymore alongside Adam Sandler, their on screen chemistry makes for a good fillum)

I really enjoyed that movie, but Sandler had to go and spoil it all by making You Don’t Mess With The Zohan. My bro, claiming it was funny, put it on in me ma’s house. He hasn’t heard the end of it.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Originally posted by @pap

Empire’s Top 500.

How many have you seen?

Empire Magazine's 500 Greatest Films of All Time

1. That’s quite a mainstream list - and any list that ranks Transformers above Battleship Potemkin is a teeny bit weird.

Have you worked on any of them?

Not really. I did have an unexpected role in this scene…

I have a problem compiling a top ten of films because every time I see other people’s lists I think “Wow, actually that was a good film, that should be in my top 10”

* The Green Mile

* Shawshank Redemption

* Alien

* Aliens

* Galaxy Quest

* Flash Gordon

* etc. etc. etc. etc.

Thumbs up for 1942 :laughing:

1 Like

Originally posted by @Goatboy

* The Green Mile

* Shawshank Redemption

* Alien

* Aliens

* Galaxy Quest

* Flash Gordon

* etc. etc. etc. etc.

Thumbs up for 1942 :laughing:

Would sirs mind being a bit more specific as to this movie? In my quest not to look like a colossal uncultured arse, I did a search, and IMDB yields a few results.

The quest not to look like a colossal uncultured arse is now fucked, but I’d still like the specifics :cool:

I think they’re joking. They must be. Right?

Doh! I was thinking 1941 starring the late great John Belushi. Only a year out. Silly goat.

Ah Galaxy Quest. Fond memories of Sigouney Weaver’s cleavage. Now there were some special effects!

I watched a bit of Jaws last night on Sky, they were showing all the films back to back. Can’t believe it has been 40 years.