XFM - Sexist Rebranding!

Originally posted by @Sadoldgit

If you want to know what something is aimed at, take a look at the ads. On TS it is all ScrewFix etc. I got into trouble in the other place by mentioning the White Van Man demographic (and I have recently been driving one myself so am not using it in a perjorative sense) but that is clearly where they are at.

I know I probably shouldn’t mention this out loud, but sometimes, when listening to talkSPORT, I actually want a white van. I’m conflicted as to what I’d do next. Option one is and buy a load of manly tools, perhaps swinging by Lou and hurling out unsophisticated builder style “chat up lines” out of the window. Option two is to drive the white van into whatever server holds that self-indulgent cache of self-promoting shit they play all the fucking time, including of course, Micky Quinn’s rap*.

*The one that makes John Barnes look like Kendrick Lamar, and the Selco ad sound like quality programming.

1 Like

Originally posted by @pap

Option one is and buy a load of manly tools, perhaps swinging by Lou and hurling out unsophisticated builder style “chat up lines” out of the window.

Hey Pap, can you do the “cheer up love, might never happen” one? That one’s my favourite!

The really annoying bit is all those bits are out of date. They are talking about the World Cup as ‘this summer’ and other such crap. Just record some new ones for Christ sake, how long can it take these idiots to spout some bullshit? They do it all day long. I really don’t know why I listen to it.

anyway, on radio x. Yeah, I get it. I thinks it’s crass and shitty and oh lordy is it a pathetic line up. But, meh, xfm has been shite for ages. It’s a commercial Radio 1 with ever so slightly more a guitar based leaning.

i don’t particularly like the insinuation that ‘rock’ (xfm/radio x barely qualifies as a rock station anyway) = lad music. As was mentioned earlier, try picking out women performers on a festival bill. It’s a fucking sorry state of affairs. I think the pink/blue toys comparison is pretty on point. It’s not so much the targeting of men, more the message this is reinforcing. It’s already a pretty male dominated space (fuck off with your pop is female dominated bollocks), this sort of move does nothing to change that.

Hey look at that, 2 threads on sexism I had nothing to do with (obviously this post ruins that). Miss me while I was rolling around the IoW like an idiot?

KRG, you’ve got serious competition in the best male feminist award at the end of the year!

Whose bra does the winner get to burn?

1 Like

What?! Who? I’ll femi-fight them to the death.

nah, not really. It’s a good thing. The more the better!

On this site it’s the ones that aren’t that stick out like a sore thumb!

Maybe they’ve got their own, GB.

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Option one is and buy a load of manly tools, perhaps swinging by Lou and hurling out unsophisticated builder style “chat up lines” out of the window.

Hey Pap, can you do the “cheer up love, might never happen” one? That one’s my favourite!

Yeah, I wasn’t going to be that polite. Would have been probably something to do with carpet display. Be the van. Be the white man van. It’s not worth doing unless done properly.

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Yeah, I wasn’t going to be that polite. Would have been probably something to do with carpet display. Be the van. Be the white man van. It’s not worth doing unless done properly.

Eh? I don’t get it? Carpet display?

Does Lou Lou show her rug regularly then?

Oh dear. Luckily I’ve never heard that one before.

Or buff her lino?

It is a shame people still find the need to be an *ist. As soon as you apply that ending to anything it seems to come with a pair of blinkers. Cant we just we normal sensible human beings?

No idea, BTripz - but I have heard “show us your carpet” shouted out loud.

Shout outs like that wouldn’t be a problem for me because it would be completely over my head. I’d probably just be thinking: what a dedicated van man. Even when he’s at traffic lights he’s still trying to drum up trade for his employer. Impressive.

3 Likes

Shit music for twats. Non story really.

Plenty of female musicians at Green Man by the way.

1 Like

Absolutely loving having Chris Moyles back on the radio. It feels like life is back to normal.

1 Like

A million times better than Nick Grimshaw.

Woke up to The Smiths playing. Happy days.

that’l be me then.

If men had never invented Bra’s women would never have found the need to burn them out of spite.