🎾 Wimbledon 2021

So with Murray out who do we have to watch to give us Brits a lift before our sad exit from the Euro Nations Cup this evening.

Well the lift comes in the name of Emma Raducanu the 18 year old schoolgirl, world ranked 333. She looks to be a star in the making after beating Sorana Cirstea 6-3 7-5 to take her through to the last 16. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Just watched 18 y.o Emma Raducanu (English despite her name) go through to 4th round. A little inconsistent but very talented - remind you of anyone?

1 Like

Angela Mortimer?

I was thinking Andy Murray - in terms of the inconsistency & talent, not appearance.

2 Likes

Actually my reply was a joke…OK not a very good one. :unamused:

Well that’s typical of a British player, get hyped up and then retire injured…

McEnroe got hammered on social media today for suggesting she couldn’t handle it (the pressure)

And after a day of him getting pellets she has come out and said the occasion got the better of her

Given that mental toughness and temperament is a huge part of separating the best and the also rans, are commentators no longer allowed to comment on this for fear of the backlash

1 Like

Ffs she’s a kid still.

1 Like

I suspect it was more because she was a girl

Had Pedri (same age) bottled it in the same way last night and the commentators made the same comments, there wouldn’t have been the Twitter pile on

What he said wasn’t outrageous. It was pretty measured in context, and as it turned out, entirely accurate.

1 Like

Aye, but for an 18 yearly to simply admit to being overcome by anxiety and nerves on her first such big occasion shows a fair amount of courage, which is something McEnroe should at leat acknowledge if wanting full context