😭 Who were / are responsible for the bad times in the UK. Politicians or the people Discuss

A few from the top of my head

Long list of recessions ‘70’s, ‘80’s, 90’’s, 2008/9…?

Brutally quashing the miners strike
Falklands War
Iraq wars
Afghanistan
Not calling out Saudis Arabia in Yemen
Tacitly / openly supporting jihadists in Syria
Universal credit
Student debt
Failing privatised railways
NHS being run into the ground - don’t forget the PFI initiatives making a lot of Tories a lot of money…
The home owning con

Brexit.

Etc etc etc…

Do you see a pattern of manipulation of the masses / jingoism?

And you wonder why people don’t rise up.

Conditioned socially not to - unlike the French, who we are repeatedly told are Vichy collaborators.

But there will always be Glastonbury, Glyndbourne, the proms and the Queen’s speech…

I was going to put in a different thread, but this seems appropriate. The real power behind all decisions. The financial figures are astonishing.

The film he mentioned(I have posted before, but i doubt anyone watched).

1 Like

Why are you worried? You have the freedom to up and leave to any one of 27 countries annoy time you like.
Oh wait…

Good point

Why should I be forced to leave anyway?

1 Like

Same reason I’m forced to live with a Conservative led government. That pesky democracy. All the same, I’ll take it over all other alternatives.

To @Saint-or-sinner’s question, it’s partly both, but it’s mostly those that have formed various governments over the years. Most of those governments, in addition to implementing new policy, also fought cultural wars to change the way we think, change our relationship with power.

Thatcher not only promoted individualism, but also went on a crusade to reduce the power of collective bargaining, where actual battles were arranged and fought. She knew that workplace unions gave most people of that class their first taste of politics, many of them becoming highly effective politicians for the opposition.

Blair’s big domestic gamble was to waive the seven year wait for workers from the newly acceded member states. He and Mandelson were convinced that it would create more Labour voters, and that the result would be a United Kingdom that always voted Labour. Instead, he merely fuelled the rise of UKIP, never realising that migrant workers were more interested in earning a few bob than UK politics, never realising the effect it would have on their base.

The Conservatives deserve more criticism, mostly because they spin their own failures into attacks against specific communities.

And yes, you might say that the people can change all this. The problem is that people don’t know what kind of change is possible, and in most cases, are actively reminded of fabricated constraints dressed up as universal constants, such as the fractional reserve banking system.

2 Likes