:Saints: What Have Sports Republic ever done for us?

What’s “bizarre” is that you’re not agreeing with every word he said.

No-one is “going over the top”. The past 4 games have been the worst since the dutch duo, prior to administration. He is merely repeating the complete clusterfuck he made of his time at Stoke. And they know a bad manager.

I think the players were dogshit under Ralph, dogshit under Jones, and will be dogshit under the next manager.

I think our performance in the last 10 mins against Newcastle under Ralph was equally as bad as it was under Jones against Forest, if not worse.

Brighton lost to League 1 opposition in the Carabao Cup and we won against Lincoln (luckily) in Jones’s first proper game. I don’t think that is any sort of yard stick.

I watched the Fulham game carefully as I missed the Brighton one. There was no way at all that it was all long ball, which is what the majority of fans were sayng. It was direct, sure, and you could see the players - even Captain Sideways - trying to pass forward quicker, but it wasn’t ALL long ball tactics. Even the Forest match started ‘OK’ for the first ten minutes, but then went to shit once Forest scored - that suggests to me a mentality issue.

For what it’s worth I think Jones was the wrong choice, but not because he’s a terrible manager or way out of his depth. It’s because our entitled fanbase and our deluded players would never give him a chance, and also simply because we were already in deep shit and I don’t think it was ever going to work to ask a relatively inexperienced manager to try and drag us out of it when he had zero respect from players or fans.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not pro-Jones at all, but no one can deny that he got Luton to the play-offs on a shoestring budget - so how he can be considered ‘way out of his depth’ by a fellow ‘manager’ is beyond me.

“Lyanco wouldn’t get in the Havant team”? Do me a favour.

There is almost certainly something in this and Tim Howard confirmed players look for any excuse. As you say, that is one of the major factors that needed to be taken in to consideration when choosing Ralph’s replacement. Sadly it wasn’t. Presumably because there was no room for a human metric on Rasmus’s spreadsheet.

I don’t think we should tar all supporters with the same brush though. If performances (ignore results) and media comments from Jones were better (uplifting or inspiring) from the off then I think the majority of supporters would have been more forgiving.

But none of this has happened in a vacuum and there are so many variables that contribute to the overall mood of the fan base. I just don’t think enough of these variables were considered when appointing Jones. Wolves and Villa appointing managers with top level experience (and them winning games immediately) has also exacerbated the feeling of relative deprivation amongst some fans.

Even today he is STILL saying ‘they’. I’m amazed nobody from the PR side of things hasn’t told him to stop this. Also nobody has ever said “with the greatest respect” without going on to say something that will piss people off. It’s up there with “no offence, but you’re a cunt”.

Even Adam Blackmore picked up on this and did a public plea last night on the radio!

Yes the players are underperforming, maybe some fans are entitled or harbour unrealistic expectations, BUT Jones is accountable for things he can control and that includes saying and not saying certain things.

With the greatest respect :wink: I think it’s getting to Puel levels of silliness with some fans. So what if he says “they”? He wasn’t here when “they” were losing games for a long, long time, so technically it’s accurate. In the very same interview he said “They’ll [the fans] need to see something they can get behind and that’s what we have to do” but no one cares because they only see the bits they want to see.

And Jones just seems to use “with the greatest respect” the way lots of people have a phrase they always unconsciously use to give themseles thinking time. I know plenty of people that say ‘what have you’ all the time, or ‘y’know’ or whatever.

He also quite clearly said in a BBC interview after the Forest match that “We need to be better. It’s all on me, I fully take the blame for that” and “The blame lies solely with me, I set them up, asked them to do certain things but we need to give ourselves a better opportunity to win the game” but people ignore it because apparently he never takes responsibility and always blames someone else for losses. It’s just not true.

Anyway, I’m defending him in the abstract because I think people are being unreasonable. I don’t think he was the right choice in our situation because modern players are divas and feel like they deserve to be managed by a big(ger) name, and when you’re in the shit you need as much help as you can get, even if it’s just getting the divas onside.

Maybe Saints have changed their pronouns

2 Likes

:notes: Oh when the Saints go mincing in :notes:

Rebrand them ACDCFC.

1 Like

They aren’t even putting the Welsh press claptrap on their twitter site

When they told us they’re working hard on the transition…

2 Likes

:dizzy_face:

Only a two and a half year deal. Good reminder to not trust everything the internet/media tells you.

LOLZ.

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.

Chelsea have joined the chat.

1 Like

Why is it that every time I see the training kit I am thinking of Star Trek

2 Likes

Because all Trek fans know Red Shirts are expendable

2 Likes

Can we give one to Nathan

1 Like

Christ if they think we play hoofball now, mind you it would at least cater for the Chris Wood rumours

1 Like