🖥🔥❔ What happened here - PC Flipped out

Visiting a Twitter link from Coronavirus thread and me Desktop threw a wobbly. It said it was sending a report to HP and then Blue Screened to this…

Switched off and started it again and everything seems to be operating normally.

Press on or follow the instructions from the Blue Screen?

The error indicates that it couldn’t find its own hard disk for some reason, and therefore couldn’t find an operating system, though there’s no indication as to why that might be. As it’s now booted up OK I’d be inclined to treat that as a one-off; if it happens again then run the system diagnostics and see what it comes back with.

Could be caused by a number of things, including power or cable to the disk (particularly if it’s an HDD and not an SSD).

How old is said PC?

Yeah it’s a HDD…not a year old. Started up again OK and has been running normally ever since.

I had something like that happen once, when I plugged in an external hard drive. That turned out to have a larger capacity than the one in the pc, so the pc went to that instead of it’s own one for the os. When it got there the cupboard was bare… so it flagged up a similar message as LITSL has. :thinking:

Yeah I do have an external back-up hard drive too and backed up to the cloud (boot and braces) but inclined to leave everything alone as it restarted normally.

Definitely worth backing up the ransomware for when there is something worthwhile to nick

2 Likes

That would have been caused by the boot device sequence rather than the respective sizes of the drives. If the PC BIOS had USB device in a higher position than its internal hard drive, it would attempt to boot from any USB-connected bootable media.

This is, of course, just another way of saying that size really isn’t important.