šŸŽµ What are you listening to etc

This may make you want to run outside screamingā€¦

Revisiting the Tedeschi Trucks live album ,if youā€™ve never listened to this please do itā€™s as good as it gets IMHO.

Iā€™m sat at my desk distracted by the cricket and checking papsweb, whilst trying to do some work. So in an effort to improve my focus, Iā€™m listening to Qi by Phidel.

I heard her for the first time yesterday during the BBCā€™s FA Cup coverage, and Iā€™m a sucker for simple piano and haunting melodies whilst I work.

But as Iā€™ve now just posted about it on papsweb, I guess it hasnā€™t done much to improve my concentration.

bletch posted a diatribe about guitar music over on the Cover us in glory thread. Worse still, he used a load of cover songs of AC/DC tunes to prove his point, soliciting opinions about whether AC/DC fans might like them. I did not like them, bletch. I hated the way they made the lyrics sound as misogynistic as they actually are.

Iā€™m here to re-dress the balance, and show how a bit of electric music (yes, electric bletch), swagger and soaring sounds can make all that sexism alright.

Enjoy!

1 Like

A very impressive piece of work.

I refer of course to the seamstress responsible for enforcing Bon Scottā€™s fly.

Re the ā€˜songā€™, well it just goes to show that you should judge a book by its cover, and indeed each song by its genre.

I specifically liked the way it improved after 7:39.

ā€¦andā€¦

Um?

No one died?

1 Like

Jamie xx album. Just yes.

(y)

1 Like

Originally posted by @KRG

(y)

I concur KRG. ā€˜Goshā€™ is fucking immense.

Originally posted by @KRG

(y)

Having said that, this is a hilariously grumpy (and well observed, I might add) review:

Iā€™m having an Uncle Tupelo revival this evening. Anyone unfamiliar with Uncle Tupelo, itā€™s basically Jeff Tweedy pre Wilco, and Jay Farrar pre Son Volt.

Going through the Glasto lineup and now iā€™m mildly obsessed with this lot. They released a 6 track EP last year which has been on constant repeat for the last 48 hours.

1 Like

Makes me feel like I should have had a bucket bong

Sitting in the garden with wine instead

I only tend to listen to music on the car radio these days. My head is firmly stuck in 70ā€™s classic rock.

That is fortunate because I have two channels locally that play only that. It turns out that in America, classic rock is 50% English bands of the type that are exactly my taste.

Mrs SOG has just bought the new Brandon Flowers and Florence & The Machine CDs. Wasnt impressed with Brandon to start with (still stuck with his 80s obsession) but it has grown on me. Florence started out a bit samey (big lungs as per last 2 albums) but then things change and there is some different and good stuff on it. I was about to give up on the Mumfords but they have ditched the tweed and banjoes and their new offering is worth a listen.

Listening to Tallest Man on Earth at the moment. Really growing on me.

This video doesnā€™t give a true impression of his voice from the album which is quite reminiscent of early Dylan.

2 Likes

I like The Tallest Man, particularly that song youā€™ve linked to. Iā€™m always impressed by people who sign in a different language. Abba are my favourite band.

been listening to late Super Furry Animals stuff after starting off with mwng and today put American interiors by a Gruff Rhys on after a month or two without listening to it. He is top of my ā€œto friendā€ list. I love him, a total hero to me. In fact, I wish he was my best friend.

2 Likes

Not been doing much apart from plough the usual course, which is 1970s rock. Like sadoldgit, I am a fan but got a particular love for AC/DC before Bon Scott went to the great gig in the sky. I saw them headline Donington in 1991, but wonā€™t be seeing them on this tour. My favourite stuff is the old stuff, and no-one does that like Bon. In a way, youā€™ve almost got to see them as two separate bands. Their first incarnation got better and better with each album. Their second incarnation did one good album then spent most of the rest of their career in self-imitation; not at all flattering.

Itā€™s telling that after Back in Black, that one good album, only two songs out of the entire catalogue that follows are guarantees for a live setlist.

We have been enjoying the sounds of this new band from Kent. Recently played at the Common people festival in Southampton.

I thought they were great at Common People and I really didnā€™t want to like them as they are a bit too ā€˜fashionableā€™ at the moment. I particularly enjoyed the stage diving loon in the manta ray costume.

2 Likes

I like Slaves, but was a tad disappointed in their album. For all the front, they arenā€™t near as edgy as they like to think, I feel.

Gave the new Muse album a listen. God they are frustrating. Thereā€™s glimpses of what used to make them great their, but itā€™s fleeting in the extreme. The rest is just daft and blatant aping of Queen. I feel they need to just stop pratting about and just fucking write a Sci-fi/Conspiracy themed Rock Opera and be done with it. Itā€™s clearly what they are edging towards.

Anyway, loving the new Leftfield album. Tā€™is an absolute belter.

On a slightly different tack (Iā€™m nothing if not diverse) also quite enjoying the new album from a long standing favourite of mine, Summer Camp. Uber-poppy, and slightly twee, itā€™s right up my East-London Hipster street. Talking of which, Iā€™ve actually bumped into them around mine twice in the past couple of week. Yesterday litterally right outside my front door. Iā€™ve had a chat with them at a few gigs before, they are a both very nice which always makes a band more likable in my book.

Kept hearing this on BBC6 Music and decided to find out more about it as found it really catchy.

Turns out itā€™s a ā€˜supergroupā€™ formed by the merging of Franz Ferdinand and Sparks. An unlikely collaboration that I would never have paired in my own mind, but I think it works really well.