šŸ”§ User Avatar Missing on Discourse Mobile

Yeah, as I thought, similar but not the same issue.

There is no gap where the avatar should be.

But you did spot another change in config that I tried whilst trying to fix it.

I THINK I can change that back.

Have another look mate.

Should be back where it was for you.

EDIT: You might need to do a HARD reload.

I did a hard reload - my favourite kind. Hereā€™s what Iā€™m seeing now:

Oh my.

WTF?

Now itā€™s looking better - I clearly didnā€™t reload hard enough. My lovely wife says hello btw, and can she please borrow one of your shirts for a fancy-dress do?

Current look:

1 Like

Good and of course she can.

Does she have a preference for colour/pattern?

Pink/purple flowers - obviously youā€™ll have to choose one from so many.

Iā€™ve got a Samsung Galaxy Fold and itā€™s still got missing avatars

I wonder if Discourse knows how pretentious your device is and downgrades the resolution to spite you?

Somehow the resolution that the browser on the phone is reporting to Discourse isnā€™t wide enough for it to kick in to the desktop view.

You could always select Desktop View from the bottom of the hamburger menu?

2 Likes

FYI, Iā€™ll be working on this this morning so the site will be up and down quite a bit.

Iā€™m going to have to disable some functionality along the way to nail down where the issue is.

So like the Grand old Duke of York and his men, when itā€™s up it will be up when itā€™s down it will be down but when it is only halfway up it will be neither up nor down.

I also run a discourse site with missing avatars in the mobile view.

Though yours seem to be working for me.

What was your solution?

Hi Matt, welcome to Sotonians - albeit perhaps only fleetingly.

I discussed the problem on this thread which might give you some guidanceā€¦

https://meta.discourse.org/t/avatars-missing-due-to-theme-or-plugin/146080/17

I traced the problem down to a change in Discourse Core that broke a number of plugins. For me the plugin that no longer worked was Discourse Events.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/avatars-missing-due-to-theme-or-plugin/146080/17?u=bletch

However, other people had problems with the Topic List Previews plugin.

The solution for me at the moment was to disable Discourse Eventsā€¦ Iā€™ve also reported a bug that you can track developments on here.

Let me know how you go, and thanks for dropping by.

Dan

You shouldnā€™t have told him. Heā€™s using you, he doesnā€™t have feelings for you like me.

Itā€™s ok darling. We can let a third person into our lives without ruining what we have.

Sorry @matt - Iā€™m a twat-wrangler here and as you can see I have my hands full.

@saintbletch ah, itā€™s the events plugin!
Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction.

Yā€™all have a great community here, I wish mine was as active!

I did read a few postsā€¦ quite entertaining!
@Fatso :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Best wishes to everyone in Southampton from Pioneertown, CA.

Come visit us sometime, bring Paul if you can, weā€™d :heart: having him again.

4 Likes

Donā€™t thank him @matt, he just got lucky, last time we had Bertie (our bug) visit @saintbletch took ages to get rid of him, and even then it looks like he only gave him a comfortable bed for a while!!!

Cheers, Matt and youā€™re welcome.

If you ever make it to the UK and fancy meeting up with a bunch of football-obsessed (soccer), beer-obsessed (craft ale), music-obsessed (folk - well thatā€™s just me), politics-obsessed (largely left of centre) funsters, then drop me a PM and weā€™ll look after you.

Our co-founder is called Paul. I assumed you wanted him - youā€™re welcome to him, BTW. Weā€™ve also got a Barry you can have too (Sanchez, not Gibb!).

Stay well in these troubling times.

5 Likes