⚽ 🔄 Transfers overall good or bad result 👎👍

I have always thought that Nigel was given a rough deal then.

4 Likes

There’s no arguing with outcomes.

I agree that it seemed fucking ruthless at the time, but I actually think he stayed on longer than intended.

I quite distinctly remember him using the term “parting of the ways” the day we got promoted.

My take is that he might have gone then, but was given a chance to prove himself.

I strongly suspect Adkins was suffering from impostor syndrome in the early days of that season or alternatively, was just thrilled to be taking part. So much respect given to the big teams. Not enough tactical awareness.

It’s all very well saying “football is a simple game” when you’re the Man City of League One, but it doesn’t cut it in the Prem. You need to win and Nigel didn’t do that enough.

It was the right decision executed Cortese style

If it were the wrong decision Nigel would have surfaced somewhere and eventually got a big team to manage. He hasn’t

Also Nigels exit led to Poch and the start of some of the best years of watching Saints

Would we have got to the San Siro with Nigel?

1 Like

I’ll always love him for keeping Huddersfield at bay when we got promoted from League One.

The opening of the Championship season, and much of the rest of it, was brilliant. However, you can’t forget that we only achieved automatic promotion on the last day and that he was tactically outdone by Brian McDermott. We should have won the Championship that year.

People forget just how full of vacuous shit he was. I remember there being apologists on TSW that would spin fantasies about the mindless array of cliches being a cunning cover for the genius underneath.

Time has shown they were not.

1 Like

So who was our best ever manager.?

Ted Bates
Lawrie Mac
The wee ginger scottish one

???

Any news on if we are looking to bring in anybody from the lower leagues?