:tories: Tories in trouble?

Not very well, but then Corbyn has his own party briefing against him on those matters. I don’t think they’re comparable.

What’s more directly comparable is all the fuss the Democrats have made over Russia in the states, which ultimately led to nothing.

The Mueller Report found that the Russian government “interfered in the 2016 presidential election in sweeping and systematic fashion” and “violated U.S. criminal law”.

It led to nothing due to the high bar for impeachment for a serving US President.

Cummings, whether guilty of anything or not, is not protected by any such privilege of office.

1 Like

It’s a smokescreen. The Dems can’t look themselves in the policy department and conjure up why they lost. When you look at US foreign policy, it is pretty clear which country got most influence.

Did the Russians try to meddle in affairs of other states? Probably. Was it decisive? Almost certainly not, especially when you consider all the shenanigans that went on during the primaries.

Let’s never forget that Hillary wanted to face Trump and that Sanders, notably not hated by half the country, was done up at the DNC on Hillary’s request. Those were much more decisive factors in Trump getting in than anything Mueller uncovered.

The Russians didn’t make Hillary do all that.

Also, of course, over here we currently have Johnson and Cummings fiercely resisting attempts to get them to publish the report on Russian meddling in elections, and apparently the Brexit referendum. Johnson was expected to publish it on Thursday, but it looks like he is trying to delay it until after Tuesday when parliament closes down, and it will then be buried until a later date. Of course the report may be a load of bollocks, but clearly Johnson and co believe there is stuff there that would be harmful to them during an election campaign, otherwise he wouldn’t be dragged kicking and screaming to publish it. Privy Councillors who have seen it say it contains knowledge “germane” to voters. You can’t help feeling that if this knowledge was potentially harmful to Corbyn and the Labour Party, and the Remain campaign there wouldn’t be much reluctance shown.

1 Like

That’s as maybe but it’s not what I responded to.

We got here by you saying that a better (more direct) comparison was the Russian involvement in US politics.

You said that the US Russia enquiry ultimately led to nothing but that’s not true.

A bunch of people were indicted - US and other nation’s citizens. The serving president was censured and not exonerated.

The players that might be seen as equivalent to Cummings (advisors, campaign people) that were indicted plead guilty and were imprisoned.

IF the Russian interference in the US elections is a more direct comparison as you suggest, then it is important we find out if there is a) any involvement from Russia and b) whether Cummings has links to Russia.

On a) there is a report waiting to be published on Johnson’s desk. We’re unlikely to see that before 2020. Personally I’d like to know what is in it.

On b) I’d like it investigated. It would make a lot of sense in some respects.

Again, for the avoidance of doubt - I have no idea whether the Cummings allegations amount to anything.

2 Likes

And Mueller has been trying to do anything not to have to show evidence since the Russian troll farms lawyers turned up to defend their clients.

On non related charges. All of them.

A) I don’t want to disappoint anyone, as i don’t know anymore than the rest of you what the report says, but i would guess it’s the opposite of what people are hoping.
This has a lot of implications in its own right. Think about who was in which job and what they were saying.
Some people might end up looking very foolish, if not out right liars.

B) Again, maybe looking at it the wrong way around.
Cummings went over there for 3-4 years straight out of uni and proceeded to set up an airline, flighing a single route, with a single plane(not enough for a carriers license). This route just happened to be a drug route and this was in the 90s. Who was all over Russia in the 90s?
Clue, Cummings good friend and colleague Christopher Steele also has close links😉

1 Like

The whole Russia thing could well be a dead cat chucked on the table but it doesn’t look good for the Government if this report is withheld until after the election.

It’s a b-plot in a script that has already been written. It’s perfectly obvious by now what story the Tories are selling. Labour are preventing Brexit, dither and delay, refused to face the electorate three times.

Is this story going to make a dent in their story? I know that Dominic Cummings is infamous amongst political geeks. There’s also the fact that this is something that has already been tried on Labour by the Tories.

This could run and run…or just get buried by the media…

https://twitter.com/SayeedaWarsi/status/1193097665283801088?s=20

1 Like

I’ve had a think about it for a while and I’ve come to the conclusion that Hancock is a grade A cunt.

5 Likes

I’ve no idea about the context for this, but the question at the end still makes me slightly uncomfortable…

https://twitter.com/August05398614/status/1193648945366470656?s=20

2 Likes

Curiouser and curiouser. I wonder if Johnson will be able to keep a lid on this stuff for the next month. Surely not.

Evangelical church… who else likes the evangelical church I wonder.

1 Like

Evangelical churches love Tories.

If Labour isn’t saving people, they get to. For 10% of the saved’s post-tax income.

Bunch of cunts.

They’re making profit out of this. Sickening. I am sure that some of those fees are paid for out of local government budget too.

Absolute prick.

This seems to have got very personal. I don’t know what your problem is Bletch, but absolutely no need to talk to intiniki like that. Go and cool off.

6 Likes