Things in movies that don't make sense

The big cub has got a load of her mates around, and in a act of nostalgia-inspired living room occupation, are settling down to the delights of the Lion King. That’s the inspiration for this thread, and as good a place to start as any. Two things that make no sense in this movie.

#1 All the animals lining up around Pride Rock to pay homage to the new king. “Hey. I know we’re likely to be your son’s lunch at some point in the future, but good going Mufasa. Way to reproduce existential threats!”

#2 The song, “I just can’t wait to be king”. That’s basically Simba saying he wants his old man to die, isn’t it? I mean, if we’re going on a primogeniture system as applied to a subset of the animal kingdom (specist bastards!) then yep, he’s wishing for the demise of dad. Little bastard. Gets his wish too.*

* Yes, yes, I know the Lion King is a Disney film. But come on, basic checks for internal consistency ought to be in place :laughing:

Best one I’ve heard recently was actually set out in an episode of The Big Bang Theory. Indiana Jones plays no role in the outcome of the story in Raiders of the Lost Ark. "If he weren’t in the film, it would turn out exactly the same… If he weren’t in the movie, the Nazis would still have found the Ark, taken it to the island, opened it up, and all died, just like they did.”

6 Likes

Never forgave Disney for killing Bambi’s mum off before I had finished my ice cream.

It’s good, but it’s not actually accurate. Thanks to Indy, the Ark ended up in “safe” US hands instead of being opened in Berlin, possibly in front of Hitler. Long-term, he made things worse, if anything :laughing:

Hindsight, eh?

4 Likes

Making things worse doesn’t exactly sound like a ringing endorsement for a heroic fictional character beloved by…whoever beloves anything.

1 Like

My mum had a similar reaction. It’s a shame that they’ve never really tried to hit that emotional note again. Their conduct since has given rise to the terms “Disney ending” and Disney-fied. Things do not end as well for the Little Mermaid in the original story as they do in the Disney adaptation, perhaps completely subverting the point of the original.

2 Likes

Well, his stock is waning somewhat after the CGI-laden fourth movie, completely at odds with a lot of what made Raiders great. Also recall his appearance in the second movie, Indiana Jones and the Unbelievable Racism.

1 Like

Something that has puzzled me in several movies over quite a few decades is that when the bad guy captures the hero why do they always come up with such convoluted methods of killing him i.e. like when Goldfinger proposed using a circular saw to slice Bond between the bollocks? Why the hell don’t they just shoot them and have done with it? No escaping a bullet through the brain from close range ffs.*

*Actually, I think I may have spotted the answer to this particular example in the several hundreds of million pounds grossing Bond movies that followed Goldfinger.

The bit where he hitched a ride on a submarine, always bothered me. He swam over and climbed on the submarine, and all the bros on the other ship were apparently cheering, but I think they was actualliy lolling, thinking dumb indiana fuck! ur gonna drown bro for real! It’s a fucking submarine!

And they tell them all their plans too before finding some convoluted way of offing them rather than blowing their brains out so that when Bond/the hero inevitabely escapes they know what they are up against.

1 Like

All of Interstellar.

1 Like

When hot chicks date losers/nerds/poor people/nice guys

Given the number of people who watch soap operas on TV, how come you never see the major characters in films sitting down in their onesies dunking biscuits into a cuppa watching a soap?

1 Like

Characters in any movie never go to the toilet and have a pee or poo. They only go there to be the either the victim or the perpetrator of some vicious attack. When the attack is over, they always forgot what they went in for in the first place and take that dump afterwards…

1 Like

60 year old men implausibly pulling hot 25 year old women and no one even mentions the age gap.

Hollywood bollox.

1 Like

Down voted you Saintzamboni, as this happens in real life all the time. Sorry!

1 Like

I’m sorry I’m totally convinced by everything I see in the movies. :innocent:

I’ve invested time and money in watching a carefully crafted product that has taken years to get to the screen.

Please no more spoilers…I love hoakum…a suspension of disbelief and a bucket of popcorn is all I take into a movie. :wink:

There is a God.

1 Like

Yeah, I want to see more people pissing and shitting in films. Does anyone know where I can get such films?

I don’t understand how something as shit as popcorn can cost quite so much. It’s fucking extortionate.

2 Likes