šŸ§Ÿ The walking dead / Fear the walking dead / Flight 462

Other humans have long been the scariest thing on the show, something that appears to be the case in Fear The Walking Dead too. Iā€™m about five episodes in, and very much enjoying it. Though inhabiting the same universe, the tone feels different immediately. The first season reminds me a lot of the end of 28 Days Later, where the military are not all theyā€™re cracked up to be in the saviour department.

Back in the main verse, decent episode last night. Only two episodes of Rick left this season. There are strong hints that it may not be the (ahem) usual exit for the Grimester.

Iā€™ve not started this latest series, so less of the spoilers!
I struggled with Fear the Walking Dead but may try it again.

Seen on Sotoniansā€¦

https://twitter.com/sotonians/status/1055150523761000448

Been watching a bit more of Fear The Walking Dead. I like it lots, not least the fact that I have no idea where it is going.

One slight gripe which is increasingly a feature of this and its sister show is a huge reliance on retrospective point of view episodes.

They dominate Fear S4 to the point where half a season is given over for them.

Big changes going on in the main season. Andrew Lincoln has left the show, and weā€™ve jumped six years into the future in the space of one episode. Itā€™s like a reboot with all the same characters.

Anyone see @saintbletchā€™s cameo appearance in S9 E7 of the Walking Dead??

Let me guess, a bald (but tall, handsome and charming) man, wearing a ridiculous (but somehow stylish) shirt, appearing to walk past a faded sign for Magners Cider before becoming instantly and incurably drunk?

ā€¦go onā€¦

I should probably declare that I donā€™t watch TWD.

To be fair, there was a Zombie dressed in a Paisley shirt, the zombie had as much co-ordination as you do after half a pint of Fosters shandy.

The zombie, however, did have hair but it may have been you wearing a syrup.

So season nine is in the memory banks, and by all measurable yardsticks, such as previous seasons. In the real world, Andrew Lincoln, who played the ever-present Rick Grimes, departed the cast. Normally this means death and perhaps a bit of undeath if the brain ainā€™t destroyed. Iā€™ll leave that there, but for a series that lost two of its lead characters, it managed to fill the void spectacularly.

In a move Iā€™ve only seen done once before on television, the series takes a giant, permanent leap into the future. A whole seven years. When Battlestar Galactica performed its great leap, it only jumped two years ahead, and it was quickly pretty apparent as to what had happened in those years.

TWD handles it much more deftly, requiring both audience and show to fill in some gaps. They commit too - I was dreading a season full of flashbacks, but most of the time is spent exploring the brave old world. All the petrol has been found and used. Our heroes spent their time getting about in literal horse drawn cars, and there is a new and deadly opponent to face.

I will not describe what the Whisperers are. The show does that well enough. What they do is make the show scary again. Other humans have been the main threat ever since season three. Most of the cohort we cheer for are utterly competent at dispatching walkers by then. The Dead just arenā€™t that scary.

The humans are, whether its The Governor of Woodbury, a psychopath maintaining the veneer of civility, Negan, a narcissistic psychopath that still doesnā€™t give a fuck what anyone thinks of him (save perhaps two people) or Alpha, chillingly brought to life by Brit actor Samantha Morgan. She doesnā€™t give a fuck about humanity full stop.

Itā€™s an excellent TV show again, and in Trumpā€™s America, will probably end up being a survival manual for the future.

Finally able to watch series/season 9. On episode 8 at present. Having completely forgotten what Pap wrote above.
The Rick bit was a bit eh?

6 year gap? RJ looks quite little for that but itā€™s a minor point.

Looking forward to what horror await.

Really enjoyed season 9 of Walking Dead. Looking forward to seeing how bat shit Alpha goes.

Catching up with a bit of Fear.

I really like both the Walking Dead shows, especially now that theyā€™re doing different things.

What I like about Fear is that it prods at questions thatā€™ll probably be in your zombie apocalypse plans. For example, a common plan is to fuck off out to sea on a nice boat with loads of supplies.

They tried that. They found an ocean full of human pirate cunts, looking to kill them for their shit.

Fear is also a much more mobile show than the one that spawned it. The group we focus on really shifts, travelling much bigger distances than the Georgia plod-a-longs.

Where the main show is settling into what happens when people settle down, Fear explores the kinds of things that can go wrong.

In the last season, theyā€™ve crash landed in somewhere they cannot easily escape, and worse, a no longer maintained nuclear plant is about to go Chernobyl.

Iā€™ve just watched the season finale of The Walking Dead. It was the conclusion of my favourite arc of the show to date; the Whisperers. They are unlike anything our band of survivors have faced before.

The show stayed pretty faithful to the source material in terms of overall beats, although different characters wound up getting killed. Something that has been going for ten years really shouldnā€™t be this good, and what makes it more remarkable is that the show was in a rut at one point.

I also watched the pilot episode of the Walking Dead : The World Beyond. Set ten years after the outbreak, it looks like itā€™s going to focus on younger characters. It has gotten mediocre reviews according to users on Amazon, but I thought it was decent enough and am interested to see where they take it.

1 Like

It will get cancelled

The main show is already finishing up. The next extended season of 24 episodes will be its last.

I expect AMC will be quite happy to keep World Beyond going. Young cast = cheap cast, init :slight_smile:

They are also doing a Daryl and Carol spin off apparently. Just to long it out a bit further!

Yeah, again, I think theyā€™ll get the wedge and theyā€™ll cast young elsewise.

I think itā€™s an interesting universe. Nowhere near as brutal for as fuck laden as its comic book inspiration, but thatā€™s not as important as the rut.

For too long, the show just repeated a beat. Get somewhere safe. Place becomes less safe. Get somehwhere else safe.

The main show got into that rut and funnily enough, got itself out of it the minute it settled down, perhaps not immediately, but the moment it became about planted human communities pitted against each other it expanded.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan has owned Negan throughout his arc.

So, Iā€™ve started watching season 10 after getting jaded with the whole thing. The first 3 episodes are more promising than previous seasons.

Lots of sub plots and character development to go Iā€™m thinking.

BTW

Jeffrey Dean Morgan <==> Richard Dean Anderson

Richard Dean Anderson?
Stargate > Anything

1 Like