The Sweepstake - The Final Countdown 🇫🇷 v 🇭🇷

This is it.

After 5 weeks of men kicking incased air all over Russia, we have just one* match to go.

:fr: France v :croatia: Croatia @SimplySaint v @Rallyboy - Sunday 15th July 4:00pm :clock4:

I don’t want to cheapen a great sporting contest by mentioning money but I’m going to.

@Rallyboy is all that stands between @SimplySaint and £ :one: :zero: :zero:.

If you are given to empathy at all please spare a thought for those that graciously bow out at this late stage of the tournament - @KRG’s Belgium :belgium: and @Fowllyd’s England :engerland:.

Both brave, both full of toil, both gave it all and both complete capitulating cocks!

These two were joined on the benches after the quarter-finals by @Polski_Filip’s Uruguay :uruguay:, @Llwybr-Cyhoeddus’s Brazil :brazil:, @gavstar’s Russia :ru: and @SaintBristol’s Sweden :sweden:.

All of which ousted oafs made it further than these flopping fuckwits - @Lets-B-Drinking’s Argentina :argentina:, @Saint-CD’s Portugal :portugal:, @lifeintheslowlane’s Spain :es:, @dinger’s Denmark :denmark:, @Saint-Rob’s Mexico :mexico:, @Fatso’s Japan :jp:, @Bathsaint’s Switzerland :switzerland: and @PhilippineSaint’s Colombia :colombia: who got out of the group and bottled it.

But at least those also-ran rimjobs got out of their groups unlike these waste-of-DNA dicks - @Goatboy’s Panama :panama:, @BTripz’s Saudi Arabia :saudi_arabia:, @Tokyo-Saint’s Australia :australia:, @BTripz’s South Korea :kr:, @tigger’s Tunisia :tunisia:, @pap’s Iran :iran:, @Bucks’ Costa Rica :costa_rica:, @prickly’s Iceland :iceland:, @cellone’s Senegal :senegal:, @saintbletch’s Morocco :morocco:, @SO5-4BW’s Nigeria :nigeria:, @Saint-or-sinner’s Poland :poland:, @Numptyboi’s Egypt :egypt:, @Cobham-Saint’s Serbia :serbia: and @JxgrSaint’s Germany :de:.

* Apparently there’s another game to see - which team comes second or third of the losers. See other thread.

As the organiser of this tournament I am supposed to remain impartial. But on a personal note I hope France wins.

Whilst @Rallyboy is both my brother from another mother and, together with me, 1/3 of the best Right Said Fred tribute act this side of the Bitterne Triangle, he’s not young Harvey.

I’m not being mawkishly sentimental here, far from it.

France winning is a result that would benefit all match-day drinking club members directly. Here’s my logic…

@SimplySaint exists so this site can give him money. He paddled in a pool one day so we sponsored him and his Dad (@Saint-CD) turned up at a match day drinks and bought the first round.

And now he stands on the brink of trousering all our fivers. So, boo @Rallyboy’s Croatia :croatia: and cheer on young Harvey’s (@SimplySaint’s) :fr: France and if they win, get yourself to the first match-day drinks that @Saint-CD is at because it’ll be his round!

Allez les beers!

2 Likes

What about starting the thread for the game tonight mush as match day thread starter extraordinaire
And dont go giving me any gumpf on you could start it yourself.
Yes I could but you have taken the job on and we want you to do a complete one.

Ta in advance

Bletch did it as I was writing this :lou_lol:

Cough, it’s here, cough.

2 Likes

Point of order!
The winner receives £80 not £100. 32 x £5 = £160. Half has already been paid to the Just Giving account.
I have also paid the £20 I won (from my fucking self) for Panama’s gaping rear.
There is also £10 to be won for the golden boot winner (+ I believe £10 to the charity)
These figures exclude the payments unpaid by certain posters. cough. Tokes.

So, when Harvey wins you’ll be diddling him out of £20?

And here’s me thinking it was all for the kiddies

Oh, wait…

:lou_facepalm_2:

We also got a an additional £50 from @BTripz and @Saint-or-sinner for their second teams.

So, I think we have 30 x 5 = £150 and the £50 above = £200.

Half to the kiddies and half to Harvey, whoops, sorry that should be half to the winner tomorrow = £100.

This smells like an establishment cover-up to me.

1 Like

They paid £25 each for their second teams?

They were blind bids - I’ll PM you.

https://twitter.com/Yannick_Kmbl/status/1017359409750663168

2 Likes

How do I pay up? @saintbletch @Goatboy

I’ll let @Goatboy tell you his preferred method.

Cool

20 years ago “to this day” I pulled what is without doubt THE greatest “allnighter” of my life.
At around 7:30am I “came round” to find an air hostess asking me if I wanted to put “my friend” in the overhead locker on the plane to Southampton. It was a traffic cone.

That night I visited not one bar. I had (through a lot of hard work and effort) been invited to our company corporate for the '98 final. We had been shitfaced before, during and after the game. Somehow, our coach had been “mistakenly” loaded with about 36 cases of Lanson Black Label Champagne.

The driver stopped by The Hotel Bristol, all 35 of Europe’s finest CEO’s alighted (plus me) and we proceeded to walk up the Champs Elysees. We seemed to make many friends, and by the time we reached le Arc d’Triomphe someone replaced the now empty cases with cases of Heineken, so we made our way back down the other side.
We faced down a charge by Riot Police by standing with hands up and smiling there may have been some car or bus stop dancing, there certainly was a lot of Dirty Dancing with local ladies.

I reached my hotel to find my taxi at the door waiting to go to the airport. I threw my gear in a bag went through an utterly deserted CDG where the passport office was just waving people through while holding his head.

And then there was that traffic cone. It had France '98 on it. More importantly, at some point somebody had managed to put some kind of chin strap on it, so perhaps I simply wore it onto the plane.

I have some great friends in France, but in general I hate the Parisian people (for screwing up a once great company as much as anything).

But for those memories alone, I thank the French National football team, and so tonight, despite wanting to hate them, I shall be cheering them on.

(Obviously, these reasons far outweigh the fact that I want them to make lovrat look like a complete cvnt)

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

The build up has started. I’ve got to drive after the game so can’t even have a drink whilst watching. It’s not right.

1 Like

It’s all Croatia. France looking nervous.

1 Like

Own up. Who filled the French boots with lead weights?

Having to watch ITV as it’s only stream nobody wants to watch.
Did you know, Croatia knocked England out in the semi final? They’ve been reminding us every 18 FVCKING seconds

1 Like

Dive.