⚽ The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

No

2 Likes

Lovely quote from the BBC

Do you remember when listening to Jose Mourinho speak was a pleasurable experience? When you might have been entertained? When one his press conferences was must-see?

Now it’s like listening to your grandad tell you it was better in his day. He’s football’s Geoffrey Boycott.

6 Likes

Lucas Perez is Arsenals Carrillo…bought for £17.5m, played 2 premier games (in 2 years) and now sold to west ham for £6.5m

From Simon Peach :-

Southampton could do with bolstering their squad but it’s quiet as the window comes to a close. Financial impact of signing flop Guido Carrillo partly to blame. In terms of outgoings, doesn’t sound like Matt Targett or James Ward-Prowse are going anywhere

Anyone know where we stand wrt squad numbers and registered players - given squad size and number of external/homegrown players?

I’ve lost track.

Spurs trying to say keeping players made it a good window. That’s like saying it’s good news I didn’t get run down by a bus 😳

1 Like

Claude confirms Maguire going to Manchester…

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1027533433919217664

Why does Everton not put off by agent fees not surprise me??

It’s shut.

How did Saints do?

• Boo
  • Hooray
  • Meh

0 voters

Boo’d because we needed a striker. Could have been Meh though. Close call.

But if I’m debating Meh or Boo then I can at least say it wasn’t great.

You never know it’s great until after Christmas…and you never know it’s Boo either…that’s why I voted Meh.

1 Like

Could a deal for say Ings, have been done at the last minute and still to be announced.
That’s your only hope if you wanted a striker.

Yeah, true.

I’m not hopeful. And whilst I think Ings would add something it wouldn’t be pace and he’s similar to what we have.

My hopes are totally and utterly pinned on Armstrong’s creativity.

Fingers crossed.

Exactly the same here - and that in itself is worrying given that (1) I hadnt even heard of him up until 4 weeks ago (2) he’s been playing (or not) in Scotland

However, I will back him and if he scores a rocket I’ll be over the moon*

*this is very clever

1 Like

Voted hooray! because firstly we have cleared some of the dead wood (Boufal, Gardos, Clasie, Carillo and I’m also going to include tadic as he was just too inconsistent over 3 seasons and we got our money back!).
Secondly we tied down McCarthy to a long deal and managed not to sell him all in the space of about 6 weeks (Bravo saints! :lou_lol:).
Thirdly we have added some fresh faces to the 1st team that are creative and have goals in them (potentially).
If we had managed to get Fraser a permanent club and sign a striker and some back up for Cedric I’d be spunking all over the place.

4 Likes

Yeah Armstrong looks an important player for us and will hopefully help unlock Gabbiadini’s potential. I think Elyounoussi will do very well(given a small amount of time to settle), as he’s got way more fight and determination about him than Boufal.
My personal choice would have been a mobile CB with decent positional awareness(didn’t need to be big).
We’re closer to an even squad, but still that elusive 2 players away from everyone being happy.
Well apart from Benny maybe😁
Benny: Saints are going down. We’ve sold our most creative player for peanuts. Our highest paid player is our 3rd choice keeper. Our 2 most expensive players are out on loan and the squad doesn’t have the goals in it to save us. We’ve become a joke in 3 years. Useless

1 Like