The Saints Takeover Thread

Honestly, I think they might well move on. Nice profit. Perhaps they feel that this is about as far as they can take us?

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

Should we not lauch a Sotonian’s counter bid? I’m willing to chip in a few quid. :lou_surprised:

I’ll front the bid.

Who is with me…?

5 Likes

Originally posted by @SailorGirl3040

Has to be bs, sorry not buying it.

Puel is apparently unaware of anything that’s going on. Doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Bloomberg are a reasonably serious outfit and probably wouldn’t have published the story if there was nothing in it.

I expect a fair few Saints fans fear the prospect more than they welcome it, though. Takeovers are a mixed bag. The priorities of the new owners can often be quite different, and quite bizarre.

It would be an end to what has been a fantastic era. The best since I have been supporting the Saints!

You had the job of bringing the Jonahs Brothers to St Marys, MLG.

Not only did you fail, they’ve now broken up. And they’re brothers, FFS!

2 Likes

I like the owners we have and the ethos they have brought to the club. A change brings risks. We could end up with a mad bastard like the Cardiff chap, or worse the mob in charge at Blackpool.

11 Likes

Had a meeting with someone today who used to work with Saints in terms of kit contracts. Apparently Cuntasie didn’t like stripes hence the wilderness years of shit tops…not sure how true that is…

Won’t be any better with the Chinese - they’ll probably want to change our name to The Dragon Saints or something. At least we already have “lucky” red in our colours…

jeez… … :lou_facepalm_2:

Yeah, without making the £mega investments that other billionaire owner have made for their teams…just a thought.

They have run the club perfectly and if they do leave, leave us in great shape. Perhaps the Chinese takeover will take us to the next level, developement of the whole area around SMS? I have always thought that the club are missing out on the bigger picture and make a shed load of dash from extras (not a radio station though). A St Mary’s complex.

Oh and a woman’s team :lou_wink:

1 Like

Don’t disagree,but not convinced about the longevity of Chinese money. Just have a feeling that the Premiership / EFL will become a feeder route to the Chinese super league- as long as the runaway economy holds up of course.

1 Like

Where the fuck is The RaleighBoy when news like this breaks?

He’s probably in Wales with the Grandkids or something.

If Pompey were being taken over, he’d cancel that in a heartbeat and be on here posting.

Judas

1 Like

If we are taken over, my long-standing worry over Bear’s Katarina thread could go two ways.

1. She disappears off into the sunset, cash-laden, never to think about Saints again.
  2. With all the extra time and cash, she discovers Sotonians and brings down the lawyer hammer smackdown.
5 Likes

Is there any Junk’s in Southampton Harbour?

Think the issue we have seen with many takeovers is that very rich and successful people believe because they have been successful in one business field, they can be equally successful in football… or as others have suggested, they see football clubs as an opportunity to make money because they dont understand that the riches generated through home grown talent sales are the exception that proves (tests) the rule, and that breaking even wont even guarrantee you a safe mid table position…

But going back to the first point, its not just the Chinese owners, just look at Ashley at Newcastle. This is the biggest issue imho, the fact that owners feel they and they alone know how to run the ‘business’ of a club they own… and as we all know in football even small mistakes can be very costly… confidence is eroded, morale sinks and soon losing streaks become a rut…

In some respects its what made ML (and KL) such a perfect owner. The Swiss/German mentality (and forgive me for sterotyping) is more measured in business - unlike the brash ego driven US , UK and perhaps China (business being about drive, power and ambition with BIG balls) success has always been considered to be through technical advancement, differentiation and hard work. Because they have always placed more emphsis on the product - expensive yes but lasts longer, its no surprize that company heads/founders have always acknowledged how innovation and quality is more important than their ‘business brain’ when it comes to ultimate success…

…No surprise then that ML brought in NC and they recruited Les to bring that technical differentiation, nor that KL continued in that vein… The Cortese/KL thing, I think is a lot simpler than many make out - Given how much trust and friendship there was between NC and ML, I think that after MLs sad early death, NC felt he had the right to continue as they had planned, whether inspending what ML and maybe agreed to in the various progression/promoition stages, and/or to honour of his friendship… I think he then became a little obsessed with this/ego driven and when KL totally within her rights decided it was not the investment she wanted continue, it was inevitable that there would be a parting of the ways… but even NC with his ego, looked to Les to drive the footballing technical components… an that is the point.

Whilst we continue to run the technical side as we do now, more like a ‘Brailsford’ marginal gains and every detail looked at, than ego driven, it does not matter who the owners are. (provided they dont take our model to extremes and try and sell players aftter one season) we will be fine…

But if new owners think because they do ‘negotiate million dollar deals before breakfast’ they know how to deliver sporting success, we are fucked- because even if they had Roman’s level of spending plans, that is no longer an option due to FFP… clubs our size will only get teh successwe have had thes elast few years through technical innovation and not old school ego

Afterall we all know what happened to this guy…

4 Likes

It could make the squad numbers more interesting - 14 Chicken Chow Mein 5 Crispy Duck 7 Sweet and Sour Pork 23 Egg Fried Rice

I’ll get me coat.

1 Like

Meanwhile over on Stevesworld, they are ‘‘pissed off with the camel jockies’’

Didn’t realise they felt so strongly about Phil and Eric.

5 Likes

I remember on saintsweb Phil said that when he first moved to Dubai, he had a part time job wanking off camels. That’s how I remember it srs, but I do wondered if perhaps the facts have got twisted over time. This happens to me a lot, I get bit carried away with my Imagination, and the truth wanders off into the forgotten areas of my brain where I keep other peoples birthdays, the capital of Peru, and things like that. Probably if we read back we’d find that the facts of the matter was something quite different. Probably it was a full-time job.

4 Likes

Kat - judging on both face value and her actions to date - gives a shit about the club.

Given the choice I wouldn’t swap that benevolence for any form of financial boost.

5 Likes

Yep mostly agree but if we are to have a mega-moneybags involvement I would favour selling a minority share for Kat et al to continue firm control.