:ryder_cup_2020: The Ryder Cup 2020/1

Just over a week until the build up starts and players arrive at Whistling Straights

Team Europe is now complete. The BMW PGA saw a number of players in with a chance of automatic selection and Bernd Wiesberger took full advantage, kicking Shane Lowry out.

Captain Harrington then picked his Wildcards.
Poulter Garcia and Shane Lowry.

Bernds’ qualification pretty much did for Justin Rose. He would no doubt have made the trip as 3rd pick, but the fact is he has battled his swing all year and Shane has been much more consistent. Think it is a good call.

Team USA

A LOT of Rookies in there, Billy Horschel would likely have qualified IF the points he won today by winning the BMW PGA had been counted.
Koepka has a wrist injury but got picked ahead of Patrick Read who made an amazing recovery from double Pneumonia and literally drove across 3 states to play in the Tour Championship to try and qualify.

Europe should get spanked.
But who knows?

After a delay of a year, it is finally Ryder Cup week.
1st up news - John Rahm (stragely) decided to play a PGA tournament this weekend, he was shit in more ways than one - picking up a stomach bug and missing the cut.

In terms of “what goes on” tomorrow is arrival day. The last Volunteers will be rocking up to collect their gear, players will be flying in and having their first team dinners.
Unlike Europe the Yanks have an annoying habit of not letting any “foreign types” volunteers near the golf course. They get herded into retail outlets or car parking duties, hence most of the regular crew don’t bother to go.

Tuesday the players will wander out & play 9 holes and maybe walk the rest of the course, “other stuff” will be going down - there will be “Junior & Celeb” Ryder Cups going on to justify paying huge sums of money to watch nothing much.

I have problems this year. I have a wedding Saturday from 9pm-2pm local so will likely miss one set of matches - been sedning streaming sites that do golf links to my work mobile in case they work and am watching the Golf TV App web site in case they have the rights over here then will sign up for a free 7 day trial.

Can’t see Europe winning tbh too many players are “playing well” not many are on top of their games but hey, we’ve been there before.

1 Like

Getting real.
Opening ceremony at 22:45 your time & 1st session line ups.

Meanwhile this is going on on Twitter

Get Involved - golfing band names

Gary Macrae: Fairway attraction

Dave: The Eagles

Some Yumpla: On the Green Day, Fleetwood Mac Ilroy, The UnderParTones

Gooner John: Brand New Seve’s?

Rich J: Get in the - Hole!

Gary King: The E (Eagle) Street Band

Gregory Blin: Padraigcat Dolls

D.R.H: Hole in One Direction and also… Backstreet Bogies

Elliot Newstead: Swings of Leon

Jonnets: All-par4-One and U2-putt with The Wedge

Badger Brockson: Kohler Shaker

Article Reactions

9 likes9

• Dislike

2 dislikes2

Garcia and Rahm out first

Here we go!

First up, for Team Europe in match one…

Spaniards Jon Rahm and Sergio Garcia!

Thomas and Spieth up for US

And they will face Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth in tomorrow morning’s foursomes.

DJ and Morikawa v Casey and Hovland

Dustin Johnson and Collin Morikawa will face Paul Casey and Viktor Hovland in match two.

Westy and Fitzpatrick paired together

Lee Westwood and Matt Fitzpatrick head out in match three for Europe, and will face the American duo of Brooks Koepka and Daniel Berger.

Rory and Poults go in match four

And finally, Patrick Cantlay and Xander Schauffele will face Rory McIlroy and Ian Poulter!

Game on!

I like that but I need a stream source
HELP!

Hesgoal has a link.
I signed up for a 7 day free trial with GolfTV convoluted but working

Rahm and Garcia 1 up after 4 after Rahm holes a mahoosive putt that would have gone 10’ past had it not hit the flag.

USA up in 2, Europe in 1

McIlory & Poulter and Westwood & Fitzpatrick having a stinker, bot down and not playing well

Mcllroy & Poulter 4 down after 5

Make that 5 down after 5.

:man_facepalming:
Maltese were late so instead of being at the big mall with Wifi I’m in an underground car park with 1.5G and no stream until 5pm your time ffs

Great news. McIlroy and Poulter halved a hole.

Never give up. Once won a club match after being 6 down at the turn.

And another!