:pl: ⚽ The Relegation Run-in - 2021/22 (AKA the Bedwetters thread)

This is what makes me slightly uncomfortable though. Chelsea are very hit and miss, and Leeds are also playing them. All of a sudden 7 points for them looks a little less than improbable.

Or more than improbable? :man_shrugging:t2: Fuck knows, I’ve had a few beers

I stand corrected. :flushed:

I can’t see them keeping up the same intensity, maybe against Leicester but not Watford or Brentford.

You can’t see them beating an already relegated Watford?

I couldn’t see them getting anything at all out of Chelsea. All bets are off now, today’s win changes the whole dynamic.

Hence my discomfort. A bit of momentum plus something to play for…

I can see them beating them,I just think they’ll mentality take their feet off of the gas and slipping up.

:scream:

Now down to 80/1

Three teams have been relegated from the PL despite having 40+ points.

Assuming we lose our three remaining games, we’ll have a goal difference of -20 or worse.
So to overtake us, Burnley need two wins or a win and three draws from their 4 games. Leeds need two wins and a draw from 4, and Everton need two wins and two draws from 5.
If any of those three don’t achieve it, we stay up with 40 points. And while I’m not confident of any more points on the Saints board, I don’t think all three of the possibles below us will pull off the escape.

I think I agree, bit I’ll be happier if we pick up another point or three and the others falter.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I forget who was arguing with me when I said we don’t have the required standard in some areas of the team and certainly not the squad but maybe they’ll take those words from Hassenhutl?

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/20107937.amp/

Let’s hope we get something tomorrow and Villa beat Burnley. Then an Arsenal win over Leeds. Then we can stop this talk of relegation.

We are Southampton.
And you posted it.
So that ain’t happening!

4 Likes

Villa leading

0-3 now.

We’re on 40 points for the season now, that’s us done. I’d more or less accepted that before today anyway, Brentford was the only game I thought we might have got something from. So in a way I feel slightly more comfortable knowing that Burnley now need two wins from 3 games to overtake us.

3 Likes

The biggest concern for me is the mental fragility of this group. If we concede first, heads drop and 9 times out of 10 we lose. Then we all know about the points dropped from winning positions stat :roll_eyes:

If we haven’t got a sports psychologist on the books then we need one. If we do have one, we need a different one.

Salisu was brilliant first half of the season and was by far our best centre half. Then he got injured and had his head turned by Saudi money and has been nothing short of wank ever since.

Our other centre back is Bednarek…

We are crazily reliant on JWP for goals from free kicks and set pieces and will do well to hold on to him in the summer. There are already rumours, regardless of their accuracy.

Diallo hasn’t stepped up and isn’t comparable anyway, so we’d be buggered there. Romeu has had a great first half of the season followed by a pedestrian second half. Are his legs going?

Number tens… I’d bin the lot other than Stuart Armstrong. Elyounoussi at a very strong push. Tella? Gave him a new contract, made out this was his breakthrough season yet he has barely played.

Redmond is Redmond and has peaked. Ralph was a big believer in him as was Puel before him. If they can’t get a tune out of him consistently then what hope have we got. We’ll struggle to sell him. Loaned out until his contract lapses is best case scenario.

I’m not even going to mention Walcott other than to say that I hope he RIP. Because he is deceased isn’t he? If not, how fucking bad is he in training to not get on a 9 man bench?

On reflection Broja has done well to score as many goals as he has done for a 19 year old first season in the Premier League. But Adams hadn’t cracked on and quite frankly his erratic finishing and inexplicable ability to miss sitters but score half chances is never going to rack up to 15 goals a year.

Then there’s Adam Armstrong. He’s barely kicked a ball so I don’t know what to say about him in truth. BUT if he can’t get a shirt in a team that plays two centre forwards and even then gets bumped for 34 year old Shane Long, then serious questions need to be asked about either application or ability. Or both.

Whilst statistically improbable, it is by no means certain that we’ve already done enough to stay up. But for the sake of argument, if we do stay up then we need a serious refresh in the summer. The new owners need to show some direction and implement some change because we are more or less circling the drain.

I’m well and truly on the fence now with Ralph. I’ve been a big supporter of his and like his honesty but seriously, all the pre match chat about showing a reaction and then THAT? A bright start for ten minutes and then capitulating after conceding a goal?

He’s fallen in to the trap of doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome. The games I’ve watched recently have infuriated me in as much as it’s painfully obvious that momentum is shifting in games and he needs to make proactive changes but he does fuck all. It’s always too late when he makes changes and when they come they are generally not the ones that make sense.

I don’t know if he’ll be around next season but as @lifeintheslowlane said on the other thread, the new owners need to make a call on whether he’s the right man and if so invest in him. For me that means buying at least 3 or 4 starters. Not youngsters for the future. We need improvement in the eleven, not adding squad players like too many of the previous transfer windows have delivered.

5 Likes

Absolute shite to be fair. I decided to spend the afternoon up the pub which turned out to be a wise decision. The only saving grace was Burnley getting spanked which pleased the evertonians and took a bit of heat off me. But without doubt we are finishing the season with our tail between our legs.

5 Likes