🎙 :lou_facepalm_2: 🎹 The mighty Quo ha ha!

Second that. The best live band i ever saw at the old Gaumont, and i saw a few.

1 Like

Was that the What do you want from Live tour? Late 70’s?

Yes it was. I remember many venues around the country banned them and cancelled gigs due to their ‘controversial’ stage show, which involved duels with chain saws,(revved up), scenes of a ‘sexual nature’ etc, i remember one scene was actually underwater in a huge tank, naked girls swimming, the whole works. Had never seen anything like it, years ahead of Prince and Madonna who did similar stuff years later. City council dignitaries across the country decided whether or not the gig would be allowed. Pompey Guildhall cancelled the show i remember, Southampton let it go ahead. An amazing gig, to be honest i never really knew their stuff at all, a couple of mates who were really into them dragged me along, for which i will be always in their debt. As i recall it culminated with an encore of ‘White Punks On Dope’, with the band all stood on podiums around the stage, all of them absolute clones of Ronald Reagan, proper latex faces, they were Reagan. I didn’t realise they were still performing, they must be getting on a bit now. I would go and see them in a heartbeat.

3 Likes

I went to see them in New York on my 50th birthday (2011) :smile::smile: Saw them here recently, they’ve played Southampton venues for the last five or six years. They don’t have any UK tour dates this year, sadly.

Went both nights to Gaumont that first tour. 5th and 6th May. I had tickets for Skatesville the previous November, but when their local council sent someone to Birmingham to see a show, they cancelled it and you had to turn up in person to get your refund. The train fare wasn’t much cheaper.

Highlight of the show? Smoke (La Vie en Fumer) with Re Styles and the dancers dressed in Marlboro fag packets and hitting Fee with 10 ft long inflatable fags.

2 Likes

I saw that same show. The bits that stick in my memory, apart from the WPOD finale, were the game show “what do you want from life” number, the punk diatribe, I was a punk before you, and Re Styles and Fee on the motorbike singing Don’t touch me there. Fantastic show, I’ve seen them at least a dozen times since then.