😠 The Little Annoyances Of Everyday Life (Part 1)

Some modern art is a bit.

I once went to the Tate Modern to see the crack in the floor.
Kind of pointless seeing every new property in Dubai back then had them

2 Likes

I’ve entered my “Slightly Loose Evacuation” for the Turner Prize 2020. They’ve asked for a preview but I’ve told them I haven’t done it yet but it will be forthcoming after the excesses of Christmas.

Here’s hoping. :lou_lol:

4 Likes

Jet lag. Desperately fighting the urge to crash out at 6 pm, knowing that it will result in waking up at 2 in the morning, but losing the fight. It never used to be a problem, a couple of days interruption of my normal sleeping pattern then back to normal. But the older i get the worse it is, now it takes a week before any semblance of normality. Managed to last until 8 pm last night, but wide awake today at 3 am. Any tips from seasoned travelers out there?

Get drunk and stay awake as late as possible setting alarm clock for 7 or 8 in the morning and your internal clock will wake you just before the alarm goes off.

1 Like

Drugs.
Melatonin used to help a lot, but heading to the US from the sandpit & 8 or even 12 hours always needed a trip to the Doc for some proper knockout meds.
Failing that drink like fish on plane, pass out, drink again, get home, drink again, take Ibuprofen.
Never worked but jetlag felt better than the hangover so that improvement helped

1 Like

This keeping drinking and power through

Pub and clubs - don’t stay in - that is fatal

3 Likes

Had the joy of an airmile upgrade to Biz on 15 hour A380 Emirates - LAX.Departed 8am Ate breakfast with Bloody Mary, Wine & a Malt.
Slept 5 hours (11pm LA time)
Woke up, ate lunch with booze, Slept 6 hours
Landed at 11am, apartment at 13:00, 2 hour snooze.
Went for walk, then Hooters for Wings then pub. In bed at 10pm.
Sorted, no problems at all.
Repeated on way home.
I was fvcked for days by the partying not the jetlag!!

1 Like

I would like to thank you and fellow Sotonians for your wise advice. I made the mistake of laying down at 4 pm and sleeping for 3 hours, woke up and forced myself into the shower, then went out for a few beers at 9 pm. Just rolled in at 2-30 am after a proper session with a couple of mates who i hadn’t seen for a year, which involved visits to gogo bars with young ladies in various states of undress, jiggling their bits and pieces under my nose. I nearly walked out in disgust. Nearly! Was great fun, made a happy man very old, but the best bit is that i am ready for bed, a good nights kip then, hopefully back to normal in the morning. Which hopefully means a nice lay in until lunchtime. Drank a serious amount of ale, San Mig light, which is OK as bottled beer goes, lost count how many i had after the 7th or 8th went down. A really good night was had by all, fuck, i have got 3 months of this to put up with, i hope i will manage. I will try my best not to disgrace myself, important to remember that i am representing Sotonians, so i will try not to let you down. Onwards and upwards!

7 Likes

Where are you N-K? Thailand again?

Yes. Vietnam after Christmas for a month, then back to Thailand. It’s a hard slog but some poor bastard has to do it!

6 Likes

If you divert to Siem Reap let me know, we have a legendary Saints fan TukTuk driver there plus Travel Mush to sort you out

Back to Thailand at the arse end of January after Vietnam, meeting an old workmate from Jersey there for a tour around Vietnam, we both have a long standing fascination with the Vietnam war, it is a passion of mine,have read loads of books about it. I went there briefly last year and met a Vietnamese guy who i have stayed in touch with, he lost family at Mai Lai, when the Americans ran amok and slaughtered countless villagers in a 24 hour rampage for which no one has ever been held accountable Truly horrific. Up there with anything the Nazis ever did. He will take us there, pay our respects. He was only a child when it happened. The Mai Lai massacre is what everyone remembers but it was just the tip of the iceberg regarding atrocities committed by American GIs throughout the country. It will be a sobering experience i’m sure, but i think it is important to go there and try to understand what man’s inhumanity to man really means.He is a lovely man, with no hatred towards the perpetrators, although, God knows he has every right to have. I would like to think i would be so forgiving. I recommend the book, ‘4 hours in Mai Lai’ for anyone who is interested. If you have a strong stomach. Also a Yorkshire television documentary of the same title, from 1989, still available on Youtube i think. Vietnam is a lovely country, lovely people with a great respect for us British, due to us refusing to be roped in with the Americans in their disgusting war. Harold Wilson’s finest hour, an example to us all now. especially in the current climate of our country allowing our leaders to behave as America’s poodle in their adventures around the globe.

My good friend Ben, who retired to Thailand more than 30 years, who i stay with over here still chokes up when he retells his experience of going to Vietnam after the country had first opened up, arriving at the airport, with Vietnamese children returning for the first time to re unite with their families, with hordes of Vietnamese people waiting in arrivals, an immigration official waving his passport shouting, “British, British”, and local people cheering him and shaking his hand. Fuck, i choke when he tells it!

I have been to Siem Reap, Angkor Wat should be on everyone’s bucket list. It really does make you realize that our so called Western civilization is of nothing.

2 Likes

Angkor Wat and Sagrada Familia are my top two breathtaking places. Should be on everyone’s bucket list.

1 Like

The wife lost her Ex 5 years ago when he wouldn’t go to the Doctor with a cough. He died by drowning of complications from double pneumonia
Today she lost her Dad who refused to call the Doctor for a dose of Flu.
Stubbornness kills.
Dont be stubborn, go to A&E or wherever you can

5 Likes

Almost churlish to mention this given your post, Phil, but I got off the Red Jet in Cowes this morning and just made it to the loo before I lost the contents of my stomach from both ends.

Can’t work in schools for 48 hours if you’ve been sick so have just killed an hour trying to make sure I’m fit for the journey home.

On the Red Jet back so wish me luck in keeping everything on the inside…

2 Likes

My cousin, who was 4 days older than me, did exactly the same thing. Had a bad cold, didn’t go to the Doctors when it got worse, got admitted to hospital and she died the next day from Pneumonia. That too was around Christmas time.

1 Like

Nart Mean. In a coffee shop this morning, some ignorant wanker literally bellowing into his telephone, totally oblivious to everyone around him rolling their eyes. Why do people do this, they wouldn’t do it in a face to face conversation. If whoever he was talking to was within a one mile radius they wouldn’t have needed a telephone to hear him. It went something like this.
“So i went here, Nart Mean”. “Then i went there, Nart Mean”. “I said this, Nart Mean”. “Then i said that, Nart Mean”. Aaaaaargh. Please, for God’s sake, just Shut The Fuck Up!

3 Likes

Sinuses. The cold weather causes issues, dust in summer causes issues. Last time they flared up I had two days off work as could barely keep my head up and my eyes were blurry. :mask:

2 Likes