📰 The latest news!

If you want to come up and campaign against him, he is our neighbouring MP.
When they were considering changing boundaries they nearly moved us into his constituency. Think that would have lost him his majority as v labour around here.

Oh Dear. Very romantic and all that but, —Oh dear. Whats wrong with getting down on one knee? I suppose being American and all that he had to go one better. Darwin award anybody?

2 Likes

I’ve just seen a tweet entitled “time to murder this cunt”.

It’s still there. One can sensationally assume that IDS himself complained about @Goatboy’s tweet.

Sotonians. The social media platform where you can call IDS a cunt and get away with it.

https://twitter.com/papingu/status/1175668629544812545

I didn’t even threaten the cunt. Just called him a cunt. Cunt.

Did you link his account?

nope

Well this is a bit of a shit show isn’t it, 21k employees affected, it’s amazing really that a company as popular as TC can run their margins so close…

I’m really upset for the reps, we’ve met some wonderful ones over the years as we’ve been regular TC customers…

1 Like

Yeah a lot of jobs gone. People’s lives will have been turned upside down. I cannot remember the last time I went into Thomas Cook to book a holiday. That and the uncertainty around you know what seems to have had an impact.

Sorry @Intiniki this was moronic management, nothing more or less.
Lumping debt on the business, paying huge bonuses & dividends, buying High Street shops In the world of Booking.com then AirBnB was insanity
Also, beware figures.
Thomas Cook has been a German company for many years. Yes 9000 jobs in UK have gone not 22k.
Also the repatriation cost yesterday was 600mil. Today is 100mil MOST of which is covered by the ATOL or Insurance companies.
It IS tragic but the signs have been there for years. Mate of mine left them 9 years ago as he thought they were going bust back then

It’s not all doom and gloom. Trebles all round for the financial speculators at hedge funds Sona Asset Management and XAIA Investment who will enjoy a windfall of $250 million after the downfall of Thomas Cook, They were smart enough to invest in Credit Default Swaps),(CDS),that pay out when a company defaults. CDS are a popular way for a hedge fund to bet on companies facing financial difficulties. If Thomas Cook had been rescued with a deal that was long in the works CDS on the company’s debts would have been worthless and investors, including Sona had threatened to block the rescue plan.
Aint capitalism wonderful.

5 Likes

You should watch The Big Short, if you haven’t already. It’s brilliant.

1 Like

The only reason why these things not illegal is because the cops would never be smart enough to unravel then if they were… only have to look at how much it costs to and how long it takes to bring complex fraud cases to court… its quite sickening

Not disagreeing. As I said cannot remember last time I went into a thomas cook. Why bother when you can do it on line?
I studied travel agent stuff back in the early 2000s but never went into it in the end. But most of it worthless now due to internet.
ABTA have said holidays are down this year. Weak ÂŁ? Unsure when we will leave etc.

Used Thomas Cook for my corporate travel back in the day when my mate went to work there.
Were brBrilliant finding deals and promotions in the days of paper tickets.
Dubai -Frankfurt-Munich-Frankfurt-Manilla-Cebu-Dubai 1/2 the cost of Dubai-Munich was a classic. As was Dxb-LHR-JFK-LAX-Vegas instead of a normal routing saved 30% and got me a free one way upgrade to Concorde.
They also did our Honeymoon across all of Vietnam.
Just a shame their managers weren’t as good as their staff.
They still had a place in the market & no doubt a Private Equity company will buy the ashes for peanuts once the Pension Liability is wiped out.

Disaster Capitalism, CDS & Hedge Funds. One day, the world will realise investment must be for the longer term not for quick bucks. IF the planet survives that long

4 Likes

True. Even if they do legislate and make that illegal, the collective brain power in those organisations would only find another way.

I admired musk when he fucked with the shorters of Tesla and announced a takeover (that didn’t exist) - they lost their shirts and their shit

1 Like

Thomas Cook was an accident waiting to happen. The world has moved on and they didn’t. They was like Virgin music stores or Woolworths - outdated.

1 Like

Agree completely. When a travel “expert” said on TV last night that the failure was because people booking online and using low cost airlines have become more common in the last YEAR. Wow.

1 Like

Rubbish isn’t it? I haven’t used a travel agent since 2005 and then it was only for vouchers for a wedding gift list.

3 Likes

I found it a hard watch, tbh. Interesting stuff, but difficult to get to grips with the appalling “acting” by some of the main characters, and the irritating “to camera” asides. Not to mention brad fucking pitt cherrypicking the complex good guy persona for himself. But at least he didn’t eat his way through the whole fucking film like a starved african set loose in mcdonalds, as is his usual modus operandi.

Research confirms: ‘‘Nagging Doesn’t Work’’*

*Ok I’m paraphrasing but that’s essentially what this cutting edge research has unveiled.

1 Like