⚽ The January transfer window thread

Its embarrassing we have such a high wage bill for such crap.

Not signing Defoe has cut you deep hasn’t it Baz :lou_sad:

2 Likes

True, mate.

What the club should have done is sack the Director of Football, get a strong coach in and trim some of that deadwood.

What’s that?

Oh, yeah…

5 Likes

And not get anyone in?
They had lots of time as they knew in August we we’re poor in certain areas, we know are gambling with our status, bitter to pill to swallow if we go down, lose our manager and have a shit squad.

14 points from the last 9 games since the new man took over the team isn’t relegation form Baz, relax, have a cup of tea, take the dog for a walk and have a bit of faith in Ralph if nothing else :lou_smiley:

4 Likes

Because spending plenty in the summer and in previous Januaries guaranteed our status, didn’t it.

Not.

Spending guarantees nothing in the same way that spending nothing guarantees nothing…

I’m thinking the owners are over the moon with their new coach and are amazed at the points haul we’ve got even playing Targett and Valery (worth repeating - Targett and Valery) as our wingbacks.

I also imagine they tried to back him in January, made some enquiries and probably tickled a few chins but couldn’t do the business on fair terms.

I reckon we’ll be ok in the league (don’t know that, just reckon) and I also reckon Hutch will play more youth who he obviously feels are easier to mould to his style.

I’m really looking forward to watching us develop. But I also can’t guarantee that we’ll still be in the Prem next year. Nobody can and no amount of money spending can either.

5 Likes

Whilst I would have liked to see some pace upfront or on the wing, I do trust Ralph’s judgement overall.

Getting Bertrand back will be like having a new player (hopefully) and the same with having Lemina and Obafemi as options. We are always a better team with Bertrand in it and from what I can deduce he buys in to Ralph’s way of playing and Ralph hasn’t written him off either.

Forster… wowsers. We cannot even give the guy away. He needs to swallow his pride and go play in league 1 for a bit just to pick himself up and get himself back in the shop window for clubs for whom he believes he should be playing.

Agree with most of that but I’ve been nothing but disappointed with Bertrand these past couple of years.

A player going through the motions, in fact a captain going through the motions.

Don’t doubt his ability just hope Hutch can motivate him.

True but perhaps that says just about as much as my views on Targett as it does Bertrand. The number of chances and goals we have scored during the last couple of years from his marauding and overlapping runs. Targett can whip in a good ball but he rarely runs beyond people and Ralph’s game is about expansive running so fingers crossed the shoe fits for Bertrand.

His social media post a while back suggests that he was disillusioned with previous managers and their tactics so perhaps he was just as miffed about having to endure Pellegrino and Hughes as we all were.

Anyway, @saintbletch I was trying to remain positive about our lack of incomings and you come along and piss all over my bonfire!

4 Likes

Will Man City go down next season then?

Yep.

I guarantee it.

3 Likes

You’re right…there will be some fire-sale bargains to be had then, unless Baz has insisted we buy some overpriced old fuckers in the January 2020 window.

2 Likes

Oh come on, even us fans have been going through the motions the last couple of seasons. So letsgive him the benefit of the doubt, im sure his name is on this list for the summer.
Yes Ralph wants one thing but then Gao eants costs reduced as well.

Guangzhou Evergrande, 5 times Asian Champions League champions, pretty successful Chinese owned football club. Also play in a league full to the brim of over 30 players on 6 figure a week wages. You’d love it.

Yeah saw them in the Rymans…

Didn’t realise they sponsored the Chinese Super League.

I would have thought it was the other way around. Guangzhou Evergrande sponsoring the Rymams would be more financially realistic.

Sustainable on an average attendance of 19,000…

2 Likes

Seems a sensible young chap