đŸŽ” The Gigs I'll never forget thread

Would be a treatment for Haemorrhoids these days

2 Likes

I had a cousin who lived on the IoW who went to that with her boyfriend. I saw her about a year later and she told me all about it. By that time I was a big ELP fan so was even more jealous when she told me about their set, their second only performance after just playing in Plymouth. I finally got to see them in 1972, well worth the wait.
I’ve been lucky enough to see so many great gigs that it is difficult to say which was the best, I enjoyed them all. Probably easier to pick the worst. Black Sabbath were very poor and the second time I saw Deep Purple Tommy Bolin had replaced Ritchie Blackmore on guitar. I think he was out of it because he was rubbish. He died not long after of an overdose.

Ah yes Procul Harum, unmissable
Cactus not sure not familiar with them.

And who the f##k were Cat Mother?
Black Sabbath at the Southampton Gaumont in autumn 1975 was my first gig - first of very many. Ozzy could still sing back then. I think the best Sabbath gig was the Heaven & Hell album tour when Dio had just joined.

1 Like

Had to Google them myself
none the wiser. :lou_wink_2:

I was at t’Gaumont for that one - cracking title song played live as I recall.

I quite like it

Saw that tour twice, at the Gaumont and the Hammy Odeon.

1 Like

Cactus were a great band, Tim Bogart and Carmine Appice who were in Vanilla Fudge, with Jim McCarty who was a great blues guitarist, he played with Buddy Miles and Mitch Ryder’s Detroit Wheels. A real hard driving rock band, probably of it’s time but seriously good musicians. Carmine Appice was a phenomenal drummer.

On the same weekend of the Isle Of Wight festival I went to my first one, a free festival at a huge manor house set in acres of parkland just outside Canterbury, just along the valley from where I grew up. It was called Charlton Park, in a small village called Bishopsbourne. When i was a kid it was owned by Dr Barnardos who ran it as a children’s home. By 1970 it was privately owned, and on this occasion it was hired for the weekend by a film company, who were filming the culmination of a tour by a collective of American hippies, including apparently, Wavy Gravy of Woodstock fame, although I cant remember seeing him. The tour went across the US, then came to Europe culminating at Charlton Park. It was all colourful tee pees, incense and the free love brigade, serious hippies. I went with a few mates, crazy really but i doubt if there were more than 1000 people there.It was a bit disorganized but the line up was very good. I remember watching Mott The Hoople, Caravan,( the reason i went really, i was a big fan), Edgar Broughton, The Faces, and Pink Floyd closed the show. I remember standing at the front, surrounded by some serious space cadets watching The Floyd doing 'Careful With That Axe Eugene.
It’s a great memory, some of it a bit hazy now but i remember the important bits. It was the first occasion I got high as well. Those were the days eh!
I do envy you Hendrix though, never saw him which is one of life’s regrets.

3 Likes

I remember Beck, Bogert & Appice but I had to Google Jim McCarty as The Yardbird’s drummer has the same name. I have a FB friend in Florida who is a friend of The Yardbird Jim McCarty and I fondly remember him from his time with Renaissance with fellow Yardbird Keith Relph and Nashville Teen John Hawken.

1 Like

Was it Keith Relph who was electrocuted on stage?

Yes, actually in a rehearsal room
very sad. Very popular band on the club scene around the early 70s.

and of course the lovely Jane Relph

1 Like

If you haven’t seen it, this page has a lot of stories about that festival.
http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/medicine%20ball%20caravan.html

2 Likes

Cheers for that. I wonder if the film is out there somewhere, would love to see it.

Tonight.
Tonight, tonight Whoa Oh.

Genesis the farewell.
Yes Phil Collins is frail. Yes his voice has lost some of his squeaky softness. It is now harder, harsher and tbh, fitted the music so so well.

30 years since I’ve seen them but boom the words came back, my voice is gone.

What a wall of sound they create

Domino & Home by the Sea were just goosebumps moments. This hits and classic album tracks flowed, they even did some “unplugged”

Joyous. So privileged to have been able to go.
Son had listened to my tapes in the car, heard most tracks before but never imagined the way he got drawn in. He reckons it was the best gig he’s ever seen, and he actually has taste and is a musician these days.

Someone offers you a ticket to see them at the O2. Just go.

Last chance you’ll have.

2,976 453 out of 10

And I had 1 beer all night

3 Likes

Alright then, was it?

3 Likes