šŸŽµ The Gigs I'll never forget thread

Point of order. YOU woke up my Neighbourhood.

1 Like

Nob

1 Like

Forgotten Micheal was in there as wellā€¦ and that is skinny Phil Jupitus?

1 Like

Last time I saw REM was on the Monster tour in 95, at Murrayfield stadiumā€¦ It was ā€¦OK, but sound just lost in big stadia as at big festivalsā€¦ was good for more anthems tracks like Orange Crush, WTFK, Finest Working etcā€¦ but anything more intimate just gets lostā€¦

I saw them on the same tour at Milton Keynes Bowl 30th July 1995.

They played two days back-to-back and I saw them with @Rust-Cohle and a couple of other mates on the first night. They were shite. Didnā€™t want to be there. Lots of mistakes. Disinterested.

On the second night it was broadcast live on Radio 1. Michael Stipe opened up with (something like) ā€œWe were really shit last night. Weā€™re going to be much better tonight.ā€

Hereā€™s that much better second night.

EDIT: Blur were very good.

1 Like

I saw them on this tour. I remember the singer giving me the horn. I was at uni and everything gave me the horn, to be fair.

3 Likes

We had Belly, who were good, but played to an 1/4 filled stadium, and the Cranberries who I could never standā€¦ yet I think it cost Ā£25ā€¦ compared to concert prizes nowā€¦

To be fair, I would have slept with Micheal Stipeā€¦

1 Like

I remember it well.

1 Like

Did @saintbletch get the horn?

I have been reminded of a ā€œStranglersā€ story this week.
Late 90ā€™s, a mate was bringing Brit bands to the ME, Deacon Blue had just been. Asked me to help out so binged some sponsorship to him.
Hugh Cornwell was booked for Oman, Abu Dhabi & Dubai.
Problems cropped up in Abu Dhabi, gig had to be cancelled (tourist department paid compensation). But it left my mate with a band to entertain. He asked for ideas so I just said ask them if they fancy a Dubai style BBQ.
So Heineken delivered the beers bought for Abu Dhabi VIPs, Steaks were bought, a PA sourced (from my youngest). The 4 neighbours in his compound were invited I rocked up with a ā€œfriendā€.
We chatted shit, drank beers and generally chilled.
Then about 9pm Hugh Cornwell picked up his guitar and played his full set on Acoustic guitar to about 15 of us inc the band.
Singing along to Golden Brown played on an Acoustic guitar is something Iā€™ll never forget.
Next day they did the full show to about 3500 and while it was a great gig, it wasnt so special as ā€œsitting round the campfire in the desertā€.

2 Likes

Watching Polish Stars in their eyes today I was reminded of ā€œA Momentā€(its a long one but a cracker involves 3 magic moments)
We part sponsored WC1998 in France. Company had 36 tickets for every game. Each Region had to create promotions submit them with projected ROI then the best could apply. I had applications in for ME Teams & Brazil & tucked away were 6 for Eng v Columbia. Bucket List sorted. Then got a call from Corporate we had a lead & I was off invitingvtop brass of Emirates. Yes I had a big part in them getting into soorts sponsorship.
Anyway the plansxran 6 Indian sales guys won the Enfmg tickets (no flights or hotels) & I swapped them for Corp for India Pakistan in Sharjah & became a legend.
1 client 1 National Radio show & 4 mates saw the Eng win.
Fast forward, Friday before Final I get the call someone had dropped out I fly to Paris & have a great night out with the Emirates guys.
Matchday. Corporate. Epic. Champs d,Elyse etc.
Fast forward a year. Dubai Airshow.
I get a VIP invite to the After Party with a + 1, so I " phone a friend".
We rock up Black Tie & Posh Frock unbelievable Buffet, Bubbles & Plonk.
Table was up front, other Emirates big wings, great night.
Then the entertainment
Michael Bolton.
Hey, itā€™s free, soā€¦
Anyway he is really perfect for the setting. Just before THE BIG SONG he is telling a story and has come down into the audience doing that Vegas schmoozing think, and, as the music to THAT song starts, leaps up onto our table.
And sings THAT SONG to US!
Yep that was a VERY memorable month or 60vafter that. And no, it wasnt Mrs P_F

Nice way of the guys to say thanks for the big trip to Paris

2 Likes

Just sayinā€™ā€¦

2 Likes

Ā£3! Even so, by the looks of that lineup I would probably have skipped Friday.

1 Like

Top 3 on Friday were well worth seeingā€¦It wasnā€™t the soft rock Chicago that they later became and although Iā€™d seen Family and Taste so many times they were always worth watching.

2 Likes

Miss out on seeing Family and Rory Gallagher?

The boyā€™s a fool.

2 Likes

Just a few months before decimalisation.
To this day I still think of 50p as ten bob.

2 Likes

lol. I was just thinking the same thing!

Procul Harum and Cactus too.