šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡ŗ The European Union šŸ‘ šŸ‘Ž

I think thereā€™s more to it than that.

This is probably worth a read. The seeds were apparently being sown well before the referendum.

As the make up of the EU is likely to change significantly in the upcoming elections in the next few weeks and the centrist coalitions may well lose their majority to a right wing coalition, it will be interesting to see how this affects the EUā€™s outlook and operation. And the UKā€™s relationship with them.

1 Like

There will be hand wringing, whining etc from the technocrats - the result will be against democracy (ironically)

You have to wonder why there is a rise in right wing governments across Europe

Itā€™s alright. Theyā€™ll just rerun anything they canā€™t ignore or overturn, like when Ireland voted against the Lisbon treaty.

Sweden is quite an interesting case. They joined the EU in '95, but refuse to scrap the Krona. The EU maintains that they have to, as part of the joining agreement, but the Swedish public have consistently voted against it. It will be interesting to see how the EU eventually forces them to cave in.

Assuming they do.

I really donā€™t get why people think the EU is monolithic.

Prejudice?

Unwillingness to acknowledge/ understand why the EU exists in the first place?

Little Englanders? etc etc ad nauseum.

If people want to rail against the EU then fine, but people are also allowed to be pro-EU (where I nail my colours to the mast) :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thatā€™s only really starting to be made clear now. The EEC was a different animal, based on the principle that trading nations are less likely to go to war with each other. The EU is a completely different prospect, effectively a supranational government, and the two canā€™t be equated.

1 Like

This is what really grates my gears - Itā€™s that same old hackneyed argument trotted out every time. Nothing new?

Yes but that same hackneyed argument is the truth, the British people voted to join an economic community not a European Union of States.

1 Like

ā€¦and they voted to get out of it when it became clear that full political union was the direction of travel.

1 Like

Exit polls from the EU elections predicting a very sharp pull to the right.

Iā€™m not bothered about the rest of the continent, but Iā€™m a bit concerned about Austria and Germany. :flushed::smile:

What about le France?

1 Like

As long as there new President is not called William le Conquerer it will not be a problem for us.

He is not giving up his job - he has in effect dissolved parliament - this is for the MPs and the prime minister

1 Like

Excellent news. The threat of an imminent invasion has been averted. :+1:

1 Like

Why would it be such a bad thing?

This country doesnā€™t know its arse from its elbow - see lay 14 years (& more)

Better to be on the inside of the tent pissing out.

See last post

A bit too much of thoughts of Empire in too many people methinks. Weā€™re pretty much clapped out as a country - just think about the increasing issues with trade with the EU. Did you really vote for / want that?

Happy to be shown a proper referenced argument that leave was and still is actually benefitting the UK people and economy or are people too ashamed to admit it was the biggest act of economic and social self harm a country could inflict on itself?

I dont think in any scenario you would get the British public to give away there Sovereignty which is why given the choice of opting out they did so.
And regarding Empire I am doing my bit by trying to claim various little bits of the Philippines for the UK. (Well me)

That wonā€™t be allowed to happen for some years yet, if at all. It took over three years for our ā€œrepresentativesā€ in Parliament to even agree to our exit from the EU, and it took the removal of every credible politician to do it. Thatā€™s the only reason we ended up with Johnson in charge, which people are so keen to forget. If itā€™s any consolation to you, this is only a temporary state of affairs; at some stage in the not too distant future, the powers that be will engineer a crisis situation where a vote on re-entry will be held, and won. Then youā€™ll get everything you wished for, single currency and EU military included.

If you are at the head of the table being part of setting policy then this isnā€™t a scary thing. Not sure why people were / are so afraid of that (soverinty innit guv?). It may be a generational worry? Why is a single currency a major issue?

Throw away comments like ā€œEU militaryā€ is a bit Daily Heil fear-mongering isnā€™t itā€¦ :joy:

Have had some illuminating conversations with Europeans and non-Europeans in Istanbul and Ankara today who are bewildered by the UK and Brexit. The Turks are mad keen to join fully.

Still, Iā€™m pro-Europe, appreciate people have a bewildering and irrational fear of the EU.

Even Starmer is trying to be populist but likely to come undone.