The Down Under ODI Series we'd all forgotten about

Bloody hell I need a lay down and a cold towel

Starc to Buttler, 2 runs,

Woakes 50 off 37 Buttler 100 off 82.

A brilliant innings comming in under real pressure and stunning finishing gets England above 300. The taters had real doubts England would reach 250 only about 4 overs ago.

And I was only reading ESPN must have been brilliant TV.

Oh, you lot were having a lay in werent you.

Doh

2 Likes

I was winding our resident Aussie up. :lou_lol:

Aussies are 26-1 in reply after 4.5 overs Warner cought Hales Bowled Woakes

That Aussie Flu is a bitch PS - Warner coughing out eh?

61-2 Finch is still there and Smith is due a score

Uh oh

What has happened? Plunkett pulls up just before his delivery stride , takes his cap and walks off. Looked like he tried to solider on, but just couldnā€™t. Hamstring? Calf? Root to Smith.

Phew. Just as he was getting going

Root hit for 2 consecutive 6ā€™s over before (replacing Plunkett)

W

Rashid to Finch, OUT ,

AJ Finch lbw b Rashid 62 (53b 3x4 3x6) SR: 116.98

tosses up the legbreak, goes to sweep, hit on the pads - and given!

Finch immediately signals for a review, seeming to suggest he got some bat on itā€¦ but thereā€™s no bottom edge on the replays, and Hawk_eye has it clipping leg stump!

England win by 16 runs

2 Likes

10.30pm: That is wrap, folks. Mel Farrellā€™s report will tell the story of an all-round performance that clinched things for England; theyā€™re on a roll, though Australia can of course console themselves by gazing at the urn. How long until England propose making the Ashes points based across all formats, I wonder? Anyway, thanks for your comments, as ever - weā€™ll be back for for on Friday. From Nikhil and myself, cheerio for now!

10.15pm: Thanks Nikhil, that was coolly done at the death. Time for the presentations, England 3-0 up of course. Australiaā€™s captain Steve Smith is first up: ā€œYeah, disappointing tonight, I thought the way we bowled in the first 45 overs was good, but Jos played exceptionally well, Woakesy too, but we bowled poorly at the end, canā€™t do that to a guy like Jos. We were chasing prob 30 too many, batted well but not enough to get over the line. [Dismissal?] It got given out, so I had to get off the field, wasnā€™t hitting it very well anyway, gave some other guys a chance and they almost got us home. [Stoinis?] Heā€™s a powerful guy, a real positive. Our one-day cricket hasnā€™t been up to scratch, weā€™ve got to find ways to win against quality opposition. [Adelaide for Australia Day, then new stadium in Perth?] Two great days, hopefully two great occasions - hopefully the crowds turn up and we can put on a show.ā€

Jos Buttler is unsurprisingly Man of the Match: ā€œGreat win, probably the best weā€™ve had. Had to find a bowler, Root bowling Liamā€™s overs, guys kept putting in performances. Weā€™ve championed this way of playing, even if you lose wickets. Chris and I tried to push on, we were looking at 270 but we had a couple of good overs. [Innings?] Against Cummins, Starc, etc it was very special.ā€

England captain Eoin Morgan : ā€œSo proud of the guys today, Jos was probably the the difference between the sides. On a two-paced wicket, he paced it to perfection, played the anchor until about five or six overs out. We thought 300 was competitive, to have a hammer blow with one of the quicks going down hurt us a lot actually. This is one of the best wins from this group. With out bowling efforts, everybody was required to give a bit extra and everyone did. With the ball we were outstanding. [Rest of series?] Hopefully two more wins, weā€™re going to play our strongest possible XI.ā€

10.08pm This England ODI juggernaut continues to roll. They have got to be one of the best in the world currently. They have beaten a strong Australia team thrice in succession away from home. And three convincing wins. The series is done. The Tests and the ODIs one-sided, but dominated by different teams.

The game, on a tricky SCG pitch, was set up by the belligerence of Jos Buttler, who smashed another terrific hundred. The England bowling was disciplined and accurate, and they did what they had to in the end overs to prevent an in-form middle order from doing too much damage. An iffy moment with Steven Smithā€™s dismissal, but England thorough and clinical again.

Woakes to Paine, 1 run, a slower ball on off, swatted to deep square leg and England win the ODI series. Wide smiles on Englandā€™s faces, Buttler knows the quality and the significance of the innings he played!

2 Likes

England bowl Australia out for 247 to win series 4-1.

2 Likes

I managed to watch the last 10 or so overs, gripping stuff.

Good work from Curran, a few ā€œballs of the centruyā€ in his wickets.

Jake Ball, is a hero or an idiot? He looked like he was exhausted at one point, couldnā€™t even kneel down, presonally I donā€™t think he should have been allowed back on the pitchā€¦

4-1 and some redemption for losing the Ashes so tamely.

Are there any ODIs coming up?

Thers a Tri-nations series coming up in New zealand soon.

England trudging along at a snails pace 10 an over in their 1st match in the series

82/2 Roy out for 9 1st ball of second over Hales 22 off 15 felll at 60 odd

Malan giving it some biff

Morgan out tidy 22 off 14 balls

Buttler joins Malan

97/3 off 10 overs

Yet to bat: SW Billings, DJ Willey, AU Rashid, CJ Jordan, TK Curran, MA Wood

My fault I switch it on in time for Malan, Willey and Rashid to throw theie wickets away

127/8 16.3 overs

6 wickets for 33 runsā€¦

137/9 Malan out for 6 from 2

155-9 off of the 20 overs

Now need our bowlers to bowl

0.4 overs

WICKET

Lynn b Willey 0 (Aus 4-2)

Australia 6-2 off of the first over

Willey with some peachy bowling