🚴☠ The Death of a Dream? The Team Sky Drugs stories

This excerpt is interesting, not the massive overdose that was originally claimed

Froome’s adverse result followed a test on 7 September which showed more than the 1,000-nanogram per millilitre limit of Salbutamol was in his system.

The substance - which Froome says is used to help manage his asthma - is permitted without the use of a therapeutic use exemption but only within certain doses.

Team Sky said Froome was only 19% over the limit - not double as had been reported - when the adverse test was adjusted to take account of dehydration.

They also claim 20 other tests conducted on Froome during his Vuelta a Espana win did not need any “further explanation”.

CB-Saint
39m
This excerpt is interesting, not the massive overdose that was originally claimed

Froome’s adverse result followed a test on 7 September which showed more than the 1,000-nanogram per millilitre limit of Salbutamol was in his system.

The substance - which Froome says is used to help manage his asthma - is permitted without the use of a therapeutic use exemption but only within certain doses.

Team Sky said Froome was only 19% over the limit - not double as had been reported - when the adverse test was adjusted to take account of dehydration.

They also claim 20 other tests conducted on Froome during his Vuelta a Espana win did not need any “further explanation”.

Is there a clearly defined process that existed to define the levels of dehydration?
We’ve read that dehydration would impact on the results but is that specific/scientific?
I expect that is where UCI & WADA have come a cropper. There was most likely a ruling or medical opinion on that but WADA probably did not include it in their laws and someone waved the piece of paper.

Again, no wrong doing, just a rulebook snafu I expect

Yeah Matt has been busy

Interesting link to…
Bolton Wanderers. You should be able to join some dots. Nobody saying anything about BFS & sport science. Yet

Matt Slater is talking shit to try and be ‘provcative’… typical journalist twat.

Anyway… my two penneth… We want to catch those that cheat. That means those that use drugs to gain a competitive advantage.

You will perform better if you take paracetamol or ibuprofen… yet these are not banned… asthma drugs are NOT performance enhancing which is why they are permitted. You can take a fuck load of ten stuff and it will make no difference.

It’s why when you go for a spirometry test (I had one for suspected COPD when I still smoked) you perform lung function to set a base line and then repeat the tests after taking a series of drugs … no improvement is an indicator that you have no problem…

Fromme may have fucked up on his medication. It it will not have givenhim any advantage and that should be the only point.

I have riden when on cortico steroids – and they DO work… I can’t get close to times I set when riding on Prednisilone !

To be fair to Matt, he is sticking with his “the rules are wrong” theme. Lot of articles today following that up with respect to Salbutomol.
Slater has held the line that WADA and the rules are not perfect. Let’s face it Sochi was the prime example of weaknesses in rules/processes and systems.
WADA have to fight for funding and have also become somewhat of a monster themselves.
But you are right AG. Any form of chemicals can “improve performance” May seem trivial but back in the mid 80’s when I played a lot of cricket (occassionally on summer days) we never understood hydration properly. We were lucky to get a small plastic cup of squash half way through an innings. Compare that to now, when even hopelessly unfit I can still play golf (badly) in 40C+ thanks to Isotonic drinks,

Meds, Chemicals Drugs, Russians, Kenyans. The system needs improving which is what most commentators are saying

Interesting Article about how Froome proved his case

Apparently they were able to create a statistical model based upon Froome Urine sample throughout the Vuelta which demonstrated that the chances of the particular dope throwing up a false positive is abnormally high.

1 Like

Some interesting stuff in here from the Giro. Particularly the different menus for different stages

1 Like

A little disappointed not to see Shredded Wheat and Quaker Oats porridge on the menus…no wonder I need an early evening nap. :unamused:

Oh dear

BBC News - Dr Richard Freeman: Ex-British Cycling and Team Sky chief doctor guilty

The issue is which athlete did he procure the testosterone for??

The is no question of impropriety within the management of the teams, so he must have been doing this on the side

Both a lot more damning than which rider, the impossibility that such a micro-managed environment could be so naive, and that the author of a book on doping could claim not to know the effects of doping…

The issue here is that he has told so many lies and has been so thoroughly discredited, that even if he does genuinely reveal the truth, no one will ever believe him

1 Like

It just leaves a stench.