:cash:šŸ’¼ The Budget

If they havenā€™t made a profit then they donā€™t have to pay corporation tax on their non existent profits

I am not sure what point you are trying to make here?

You said raising corporation tax is nonsensical which it plainly isnā€™t.

The UK rate is ridiculously low.

Many businesses (and individuals) contrary to your implication have done extremely well out of the pandemic and even more will likely do extremely well after the pandemic is over.

Of course we have missed the boat on taxing this yearā€™s winners appropriately but it seems perfectly reasonable to me to try and rectify that going forward.

Sure some companies that did badly this year will have their recovery stymied or worse but thatā€™s not a good enough reason to avoid recovering tax on the huge profits others have made.

400 billion extra has gone in to the economy. A small rise in corporation tax will not actually recover much of that at all. So what other tax rises would you like to propose?

No - I said labours original objections to raising corporation tax is nonsensical

1 Like

In that case I apologise, I misunderstood your meaning.

4 Likes

I am surprised that CGT was not increased. Generous allowances and low rates of tax made it an obvious target for me - although it would clearly be met with complaints.

Too bloody right!

It was seconded by the odious Alan Johnson.

His talent doesnā€™t start.

How taxation will impact on Joe Public

Hmmm.

As a local government worker I suppose this wonā€™t happen to me. No pay rise for some time I reckon. Did one of those budget calculators. Apparently I will be Ā£22 better off.
Iā€™ll hive it off into a ISA now!

edit - I know I am super lucky to be in a job earning at the moment when many arenā€™t.

Yeah I was going to say "Pay rise, whatā€™s that? "

I think we had one recently after years of none. So a once in 10 years thing is it?

Starmer is such a fucking idiot. He just doesnā€™t know what to oppose. Heā€™s got a handy sound-bite, no doubt furnished by one of his spin people, but I donā€™t think he thinks them through.

According to Sir Keir, sending parts of the Treasury to Darlington isnā€™t levelling up, itā€™s giving up.

Letā€™s not pretend that there isnā€™t political motive behind these moves; the Tories clearly want to keep their new seats in the old red wall. The people of Darlington will be happy and I think most in the country will see it as a positive sign.

Labour are going to get fucking rinsed is heā€™s in charge in 2024. I think Boris might fancy his chances before then.

The start of his budget response was toe curling - poorly scripted and poorly delivered

I was thinking that Starmer might is a real problem for the Tories - now Iā€™m not so sure. Even if his party was United behind him

Perhaps he could stab himself in the back. Heā€™s had practice.

2 Likes

Pay?
Work?
What are those?