The '60s Guitar Greats

Dave Edmunds will never be known as a guitar legend but he could certainly shred it with the best

Those of us of a certain age might recall Dutch plank spanking legend Jan Akkerman?

Originally posted by @Sadoldgit

Those of us of a certain age might recall Dutch plank spanking legend Jan Akkerman?

https://youtu.be/g4ouPGGLI6Q

Reminds me of the ‘I think he’s going to Focus’ joke.

1 Like

Yep saw them back in the day…at The Top Rank - January 24th 1973…fuck 43 years ago!

How about some Guthrie Govan

Another of my favourite guitarists from the 60s is Roger McGuinn from The Bryds. That jangly 12 string sound launched a thousand inde bands. This clip is worth watching if only for the arse who invades the stage and joins the band!

I think Roger McGuinn is still touring…saw him give his Roger McGuinn History show at the Wedgewood Rooms, must be 15 years ago…tremendous evening. Chris Hillman is also a great evening’s nostalgic entertainment…saw him at The Brook around the same time as a two piece. Did my head in watching left handed and right handed guitarist swapping guitars from song to song. These oldies generally don’t lose it…they’ve been performing all their lives…wonderful stage-craft.

1 Like

We should probably play something from this guy

For those of you who wear the occasional python boot, this guy could play too

Although I love my obvious guitarists from the 60’s and 70’s, here’s one from more recent times:

Haven’t seen Gary Moore mentioned…for all you old timers.

2 Likes

For pure WTF hand speed…

Mosh inducing…the only time I wish I had Pap’s hair.

Eric Johnson

2nd post Cherts :lou_lol:

Carlos Santana

More Tom Morello with The Boss (no slouch in plank spankery himself).

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Haven’t seen Gary Moore mentioned…for all you old timers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkUpfw4Hf3w

2nd post Cherts :lou_lol:

I’m nothing if not thorough, Goat.

More Lofgren. Could listen to this guy play guitar all day long.

Gary Moore and Dave Gilmore are utter heroes of mine. They both managed to produce a very unique ‘sound’ on a heavily used instrument. Garys Blues solos have a visercal effect on me , wheras Dave Gilmores Solos send me to space. The second Solo in Comfortably numb played live gives me goosebumps - I know its mentioned all the time now but the frst time I heard it something changed in me.

Too many great artists to mention really

Seen Steve Vai Live,Yngwie Johan Malmsteen, Joe Satriani - all a later era but all great in their own way

Fantastic thread, will put my thinkin’ cap on