🤪 Stir Crazy Antidote #19 - It's an 80s Music Quiz ❓

Saintbletch’s 80s Music Quiz

Our marketing consultants have advised that this should hit the sweet spot for our forum demographic and it was in no way nicked from here…

It’s also a piece of piss, but it might while away the last few moments of formal lock-down until Wednesday morning when we’re all to be locked-out of our houses 24x7 (if I understood government policy correctly).

1. How many number one singles did The Smiths have?

2. Released in 1983, New Order’s ‘Blue Monday’ became the highest-selling 12-inch single of all time. However, the group actually lost money on every pressing of the record - why?

3. In 1980, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark released an anti-war song named after the plane that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. What was the name of the song?

4. Which singer was killed by his father in 1984?

5. Which band released the albums ‘Songs from the Big Chair’ and ‘The Hurting’?

6. Which singer said, “If Morrissey says not to eat meat, then I’m going to eat meat; that’s how much I hate Morrissey."

7. What year was Live Aid held?

8. What was the name of Duran Duran’s James Bond theme, released in 1985?

9. What was the best-selling single of the decade in the UK?

10. Which German band had a UK number one single in 1982 with ‘Computer Love’?

11. “I’m never gonna dance again/Guilty feet have got no rhythm” is a lyric from which 1980s hit?

12. ‘Tainted Love’ was a hit for Soft Cell in 1981 - but who recorded the original?

13. Which U2 album, released in 1987, became the fastest-selling album in British history at the time?

14. What is Bono’s real name?

15. What was the name of the supergroup formed by Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty in 1988?

16. What was the name of the first AC/DC album released after the death of singer Bon Scott?

17. Which 80s band began life as Joy Division, changing its name after the death of singer Ian Curtis?

18. Which singer was killed by a fan in New York on December 8?

19. Which song gave Madonna her first UK number one?

20. George Michael began his solo career with the single ‘I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)’, a duet with which singer?

Answers…

1. Zero
  2. Because the sleeve cost so much to produce
  3. Enola Gay
  4. Marvin Gaye
  5. Tears for Fears
  6. Robert Smith
  7. 1985
  8. A View to Kill
  9. Do They Know It’s Christmas? - Band Aid
  10. Kraftwerk
  11. Careless Whisper - George Michael
  12. Gloria Jones
  13. The Joshua Tree
  14. Paul David Hewson
  15. Traveling Wilburys
  16. Back in Black
  17. New Order
  18. John Lennon
  19. Into the Groove
  20. Aretha Franklin

For the record, I got 17 (9, 12, 19 wrong).

18/20. 6 and 16.

I got 6.
Go me