State v Independent

I’ve only just realised that I can only see a bit if the story as its subscription based. Maybe it does go on to say private school is causing mental health issues and it’s worse than state schools. If anyone has subscribed, cut and paste it here, if they let you.

I can believe that. It’s demoralising working in a profession where you constantly feel compromised due to political shortsightedness (from both ends of the political spectrum).

4 Likes

I think the better question would be “Can I teach?”.

By that I mean are you allowed to teach, teach the way you want, teach (to a degree what you want), improve the capability and knowledge of kids, possibly inspire a couple and improve their lot and will you be allowed to teach at least some kids who are there on merit rather than through the luck of having wealthy parents. If so, then the money etc are incidental (assuming your motivation for becoming a teacher in the first place wasn’t monetary) and you should get on with teaching.

In short, you know yourself and it’s your decision.

Edit: Edit: leave it at that.

I don’t think it is necessarily to do with the quality of teaching being low, more the overcrowded classes, and gasp, the friends they may make at state school. Schools tend to have bad reputations based on behavioural issues, and not necessarily the teachers.

If I sent my little one to private school, then it would be because there is less of a risk of her falling in with a bad crowd.

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

I don’t think it is necessarily to do with the quality of teaching being low, more the overcrowded classes, and gasp, the friends they may make at state school. Schools tend to have bad reputations based on behavioural issues, and not necessarily the teachers.

I’ll agree that class sizes are a real problem. One of the decent commitments of the last Labour government was getting them down in state schools.

Our school was, on paper, a fucking nightmare. I joined the year after it became Cantell, a year after Glen Eyre had been merged with Hampton Park. Two years in, cuts shut the Deanery school, with Cantell being the preferred destination for most of their pupils. Despite all that, most of us walked out with decent enough grades.

As far as company goes, I think you’re massively dismissing both the role of the parent and the motivations of individual children. 24 years later, couldn’t be happier with the company I kept there; it’s been hugely instructive in much of later life. It’s also a nonsense to suggest, however lightly, that comprehensive schools are full of ne’er-do-well scrotes. Most operate set systems; if your kid is bright enough, he or she will be mixing with people of similar outlook and ability, but at the same time, will be meeting a genuine cross-section of people.

We had plenty of kids from Highfield, Chilworth and the posh part of Bassett.

She can kill me for using her as an example, but I’m not sure that intiniki would have ended up what she was doing if she had never been to comprehensive school. Then again, I could never have imagined that her parents would have sent her to an independent school in the first place. She can correct me if I’m wrong.

If I sent my little one to private school, then it would be because there is less of a risk of her falling in with a bad crowd.

Sorry mate, but I really do think that’s on the parent, and you do that by building up the self-respect and world-wariness that allows them to interact independently.

I think a point that may be being missed here is that some people, myself included, genuinely believe in what comprehensive schools are there to do. We take so much for granted, literacy for one - but going even simpler, just getting along on this planet without killing each other. Education is more about attaining qualifications; it’s also about preparing kids for what’s out there. I reckon comprehensives do a much better job of meeting that holistic view of education than independents, that usually cater to the middle class and above.

1 Like

Its strange but people do not want to see the old adage you get what you pay for, in the main this is true.
Our NHS is ok to a point but not the best.
Our schools are ok and not the best.

Put tax up and they will improve, I’m all for that.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Its strange but people do not want to see the old adage you get what you pay for, in the main this is true. Our NHS is ok to a point but not the best. Our schools are ok and not the best. Put tax up and they will improve, I’m all for that.

I think this report suggests our state schools are doing better than fee paying schools

1 Like

Jesus. Are you being serious? “The friends they may make at state school”? What, the poor people? They can’t be trusted can they? The scum? Falling in with a bad crowd?

You really are an incredible snob.

That’s lovely but not the whole system, I am torn to be honest but our local secondary is shocking, our daughter will not be going there for sure.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

That’s lovely but not the whole system, I am torn to be honest but our local secondary is shocking, our daughter will not be going there for sure.

Which school is that then Bazza? And why are you not utilising the near city wide catchment system that allows your kids to go wherever? Most Liverpool kids travel a fair distance to school.

Enterprise, they shut the other one down and this is no better, our primary schools are amazing ie Booker Avenue and Sudley, secondary for girls is not that good, Blue Coat, Belvedere or Liverpool College are the only real options (tremendous schools) or it will be fee paying if we can afford it, they are incredibly difficult to get into though, we’ll see.

Originally posted by @pap

I’ll agree that class sizes are a real problem. One of the decent commitments of the last Labour government was getting them down in state schools.

Our school was, on paper, a fucking nightmare. I joined the year after it became Cantell, a year after Glen Eyre had been merged with Hampton Park. Two years in, cuts shut the Deanery school, with Cantell being the preferred destination for most of their pupils. Despite all that, most of us walked out with decent enough grades.

As far as company goes, I think you’re massively dismissing both the role of the parent and the motivations of individual children. 24 years later, couldn’t be happier with the company I kept there; it’s been hugely instructive in much of later life. It’s also a nonsense to suggest, however lightly, that comprehensive schools are full of ne’er-do-well scrotes. Most operate set systems; if your kid is bright enough, he or she will be mixing with people of similar outlook and ability, but at the same time, will be meeting a genuine cross-section of people.

We had plenty of kids from Highfield, Chilworth and the posh part of Bassett.

She can kill me for using her as an example, but I’m not sure that intiniki would have ended up what she was doing if she had never been to comprehensive school. Then again, I could never have imagined that her parents would have sent her to an independent school in the first place. She can correct me if I’m wrong.

Sorry mate, but I really do think that’s on the parent, and you do that by building up the self-respect and world-wariness that allows them to interact independently.

I think a point that may be being missed here is that some people, myself included, genuinely believe in what comprehensive schools are there to do. We take so much for granted, literacy for one - but going even simpler, just getting along on this planet without killing each other. Education is more about attaining qualifications; it’s also about preparing kids for what’s out there. I reckon comprehensives do a much better job of meeting that holistic view of education than independents, that usually cater to the middle class and above.

Of course a lot of it is on the parent, so much of the way we view the world and grow up is, but at the same time I know my own motivations would be the above. It’s a decision we’ve got to make soon as our local school is fucking shit, and has a bad reputation even for an Infants/Juniors. Our only other local school is Catholic, and I don’t think it’s ethically sound to go to church just so they can get into the school you want.

You just can’t have a debate without throwing around ill-informed judgements and insults, can you? You’ll grow up one day and realise that people can just have different points of view without it making them bad people, or vice-versa.

I’m not part of a debate. I was merely reading the thread when I saw your horrible post. Your post is snobbish, I’m not “throwing around insults”, just stating the truth. And, of course, this isn’t the first time you’ve shared your snobbish views on education. I’m just adding this comment to the other one about pupils from state schools being genetically not as smart as private school students. That’s why I’m not in a debate and why I’ve pretty much stayed away from this thread… because I find your views disgusting.

I’m surprised you can get so annoyed about quite innocuous comments really.

I fell in with quite a bad crowd at school, nearly got expelled in year 11, and nearly threw everything away. It was due to becoming friends with a group of people that were not good for me. 2 of the 4 are currently in prison now. Therefore I think I can say, based on my experiences, that I wouldn’t want my daughter to make the same mistakes.

You can judge all you like based on my posts, you seem to, but at the same time you’ve never met me, you can’t contextualise every comment that has been said based on personal experiences, and with an insulting user name like ‘fatso’ I think you also have no leg to stand on.

Could you write a rap about these experiences, Chertsey?

If he is fat it is probably hard to stand on one leg…

Your story sounds awful, although I am slightly confused as to who you are blaming for your terrible situation. Is it the school/teachers, the bad crowd, your parents or yourself? Because it sounds to me like you were, unsurprisingly, a dick. You were the problem at the school, not anyone else. Take some responsibility rather than blaming genetically inferior state school students or the school. And it’s a shame that you think your daughter will be the same as you if she goes to a state school because it says that you think you haven’t taught her right from wrong. Maybe you don’t know right from wrong? Maybe that bad crowd made you forget it and you still can’t remember?

Lol, yes it was completely my fault, I’m aware of that, however if I’d have gone to KE VI like my parents wanted I’m sure it would have been different.

You do make me laugh though, all this genetically inferior shit. I tend to see things as nature and nurture, a combination of the two, whereas it seems you think it’s only nurture. If you can’t see that your average state school pupil will not achieve as well as the average independent school child then there is no helping you to understand the points raised. I’m not sure why you fight it so much.

Lol, yes it was completely my fault, I’m aware of that, however if I’d have gone to KE VI like my parents wanted I’m sure it would have been different.

Ooh, interesting. I never even bothered taking the exam, having visited and not particularly liking KE. I think lack of girls was a problem at the time.

Did you take the exam?

You do make me laugh though, all this genetically inferior shit. If you can’t admit that your average state school pupil will not achieve as well as the average independent school child then there is no helping you to understand the points raised. I’m not sure why you fight it so much.

As hoofinruth’s article already shows, your average state school pupil does better than the average independent student, so unless you’re sending your kids to an elite institution, it’s wasted money.