State v Independent

Uhm… first up EVERYONE pays for their children’s education - either through taxation or 'doubling up through taxation and private school fees. Whilst there are some very wealthy families for whom spending between £8,000 -£30,000 a year per child is nothing, for the vast majority sending kids to private schools involves sacrifices in other many other areas, in holidays, cars etc, but it’s a choice some make to try and give their kids the best possible education - There is NO guarantee that these kids will ‘have it made’, but a good education is an advantage. The point is that the children whose parents value education have an advantage - whether they send them to private schools or state. It’s about how much support and encouragement they get.

The cost of private schools (day rates not boarding) is high, but the facilities and class sizes reflect that. Considering state schools get not much more than £1500 per child or so (correct me if I am wrong), it’s no surprize that the facilities and class sizes are so different, but is it wrong to sacrifice other aspects of ‘normal’ life to spend the cash on your kids? And I say that as someone left of centre politically. After all, it’s no different in principle from paying a private tutor to supplement kids learning should they be struggling at school etc.

For me the bigger issue is what is spent by government on education full stop. Ultimately, we have a culture in this country that seems to be gravitate towards lower tax … without any real consideration for the consequences of poorer services. I would be happy paying MORE tax if it was spent on what I consider to be essentials (that should never be political footballs) - education, health and welfare - critical services for an advanced and civilized society that ironically are only affordable where there is strong economy, yet a culture that is prepared to pay for it. Sadly, the Tories biggest con has been to tell the ‘people’ that ‘tax and spend’ is somehow an evil and that we are better off with low income tax (and high VAT and other stealth taxes) so that we can ‘choose’ how our tax is collected…

It’s not just the Tories, Blair and his ‘50%’ in higher education con was just as bad… give folks false levels of attainment by providing so many useless degree courses at former local techs (now universities) rather than improve services and quality at all schools to ensure REAL improvements in standards.

It should never be about creating artificial benchmarks, but about ensuring equal OPPORTUNITY and access to a high quality of education to ALL – whether public or private.

So I would say, go be the best teacher you can be – challenge and inspire the kids to be the best they can, whether in public or private sectors. All kids deserve that whatever their family background or wealth.

8 Likes

There are kids that have got a fundamental lack of ambition, nurtured through neglect at home, that just don’t realise what the options are. They’re much more likely to be in comprehensive schools, and much worthier of my attention than kids that have the benefit of an independent education. Sacrifice really needs to be put into context. Do I feel sorriest for the children of people who are sacrificing holidays and respectable positioning in the car credibility league, or the children of those that go without meals and haven’t got enough money coming into the house?

The problem with poverty is that it’s such a day to day battle, especially at the bottom end, is that kids in that position can’t see the wood for the fucking trees. As someone that has been in a similar position, they’d always be my priority.

1 Like

Worthy of your attention’ - this is where I have an issue. I appreciate what you are trying to say, but I am not sure it’s right to differentiate between kids who are ‘worthy’ or not, based on their particular home conditions or demographic? Would it not be better to express this sentiment as one in which you consider it more _ important _ to support those that dont have the support at home, than those that do, since it may be the only source of support and encouragemnet they may get? ‘Worthy’ is not really an appropriate differentiator when talking about kids IMHO. The point I was making (to use your words) is that they are all ‘worthy’ - irresepctive of background and teachers should feel comfortable wherever they teach because of this.

Poverty is a seperate (serious) issue and whilst there is an obvious association between poverty and lack of educational support, its not necessarily causational - There are many who struggle to put food on the table who still ensure their children recognise the value of their education… and make sacrifices to support them.

There is a danger in making the inequailty is educational opportunity between private and public sectors about poverty. It undermines the simple fact that Government does not invest appropriately in education. When kids fail, the schools, teachers and social conditions are blamed… conveniently ignoring the lack of financial investment.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Fatso

What was the outcome of this?

I withdrew my application.

What sealed your decision (to not even go to the interview) in the end?

It’s a middle class quandary, State school or Private for young Jeffrey.

There were a lot of factors involved in the end. Ultimately I’ve realised that I won’t feel compromised if I do decide to work in the independent sector in the future. The state sector will be still be getting its pound of flesh from me for another year or two yet though.

Interestingly, there’s still a vacancy as they didn’t appoint on the day.

1 Like
1 Like

Like Skeleton or flesh

Way to keep on topic, Ted.

Oh shit

I used to love reading The Robin Cooper Letters. Haven’t looked at them for a while. Your clip made me chuckle. I’m listening to a few more.

Sorry, back to a debate about shit

More than half of teachers in England (53%) are thinking of quitting in the next two years, a survey has suggested:

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

Worthy of your attention’ - this is where I have an issue. I appreciate what you are trying to say, but I am not sure it’s right to differentiate between kids who are ‘worthy’ or not, based on their particular home conditions or demographic? Would it not be better to express this sentiment as one in which you consider it more _ important _ to support those that dont have the support at home, than those that do, since it may be the only source of support and encouragemnet they may get? ‘Worthy’ is not really an appropriate differentiator when talking about kids IMHO. The point I was making (to use your words) is that they are all ‘worthy’ - irresepctive of background and teachers should feel comfortable wherever they teach because of this.

I don’t see why. Parents that send their kids are deciding are after all, deciding that state school isn’t worthy enough for their kids. Didn’t say that anyone was unworthy either; just that a certain group of people were worthier of my attention. That says nothing about their worthiness as individuals, just a statement on where I think I’d be best employed.

Poverty is a seperate (serious) issue and whilst there is an obvious association between poverty and lack of educational support, its not necessarily causational - There are many who struggle to put food on the table who still ensure their children recognise the value of their education… and make sacrifices to support them.

Appreciate all of that, which is why its even more important to have good teachers in state schools.

There is a danger in making the inequailty is educational opportunity between private and public sectors about poverty. It undermines the simple fact that Government does not invest appropriately in education. When kids fail, the schools, teachers and social conditions are blamed… conveniently ignoring the lack of financial investment.

The argument about government not investing appropriately is a sound one, but close to meaningless in the context of fee paying schools.

Fair points, but need to come back to on ‘‘Parents that send their kids are deciding are after all, deciding that state school isn’t worthy enough for their kid’’ - this is a bit of a common misconception. There are many reasons why parents make the this choice - Yes there are certain schools that do not inspire any degree of confidence that they will be able to provide the best education for their kids and therefore, there are parents fortunate enough to have the means who go the independent route to try and ensure the best posisble educational opportunity. Its nothing to do with thinking the school is ‘not worthy of their kid’ - most would much rather not have to spend the money on top of taxatoin and wish that investment in state education was at a level that created equal opportunity and access for all to the highest standards… it is sadly often not the case and a postcode lottery. This is not an attack on teachers or other pupils but a fact that many schools are just under funded, and lack resources to be as effective as their pupils deserve.

Parents dont get ‘second chances’ to get this right, they do not have the luxury of thinking they can wait for improvements or of thinking that if they send their kids to those struggling schools it will somehow miraculously lift the schools attainment status and benefit all - If they are fortunate enough to be able to find the cash that may improve their kids chances, is it so wrong? I am not sure its right to ignore what might be best for our kids because of our own political principles no matter how well intentioned. Some schools are simply crap (and that includes many independent schools, not just state) no matter how hard some are trying to improve them from within the system.

Think you’re going way off-beam here. We were asked for opinions on teaching in state versus teaching in independent schools, I wouldn’t teach in an independent school for the reasons listed above, and while your post goes some way to explaining why people make the decisions they do, it doesn’t overturn my point about the parents ultimately seeing state school as unworthy for teaching their kids - to the point where they are willing to spend tens of thousands for something that is provided for free.

A mate of mine has decided to send his kid to private school. He blames his state school education for a lack of opportunity in life, but frankly, he’s talking rubbish. I’ve observed his professional shortcomings up front, and there’s nowt about them which stem from his state education.

Sending his kid to private school is at best, an delusional affectation (the kid isn’t going to Eton, FFS) and at worst, a conscious attempt to do a bit of inter-generational social climbing using some dirt path of the old boy’s network.

Going to private schools causing mental health issues according to the Sunday Times

No, it says that exam pressures, social media and family breakdown are the causes, not going to private school. You get them in all schools just like you have the growth of mental health issues in all schools. It’s a stupid story.