Star Wars : The Force Awakens

Didn’t know where to put this, but here seems as good a place as any.

Have any of you geeks ever been to a con’ event.

I’m told they’re really popular in the US, but this local one looks a bit low-rent TBH.

http://www.hampshirecon.com/

(Except for the Jedi training of course…)

The force dosen’t appear to be with me. Neither do any previous posts on this thread.

I’m going to need to work out why that is happening. It isn’t getting me, and I’ve spent time trying to replicate the error on my test site.

The Comic Con panel.

1 Like

papster, I *THINK* it occurs when the number of posts in a thread is an exact multiple of the number of threads per page AND your latest post positioning stuff tries to work its magic.

I could be wrong though.

No, you’re spot on there I’d say.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Is Simon Pegg in Star Wars 7?

A whole host of wtf’s? in this article :slight_frown:

Daniel Craig is “allegedly” in the new Star Wars Movie (and possibly other A List Hollywood stars making micro cameos)

But the interesting bit is how on earth has the nerd from Shaun of the Dead ended up in major Hollywood franchises and is co-WRITING Star Trek beyond!

Which made me go check the rumour sites and seems like they didn’t need to recruit any extras for the film as a whole bunch of Hollywood royalty turned up for free by begging to visit the set

Originally posted by @pap

Seriously.

AA: “This is Admiral Abrams at Starfleet Command. Your mission is to stop a volcano from erupting. Other considerations? Maintain the prime directive. Resources include a galaxy class starship, a teleporter, and several capable crew. I want to hear plans, Captains. Captain pap of the USS Considerate. What is your suggestion?”

CP: “Well, I’d keep the ship in orbit, teleport the volcano-ceasing MacGuffin device into the volcano’s crater, and set it off remotely. We wouldn’t be spotted by the aliens, nor would we put any Considerate personnel in harm’s way.”

AA: “Captain pap, this is why you never get any missions in the Abrams universe. Your plans are sensible, thought through but cinematically useless for my purposes. Dismissed. Kirk!”.

CK: “Captain, my plan is to take the Enterprise into the atmosphere and park it at the bottom of the lake. I will needlessly place my newly-reconciled first officer and my captain’s chair in immediate peril. There’s no consideration of the prime directive, no thought placed on all the time I spent getting into the chair in the last film, but on the plus side, the Enterprise will look fucking cool as it rises out of the water”

AA: “Captain pap! Get back here! You should listen to this man. His plan is cinematic genius!”

CP: “But it insults the intelligence of the viewer. It violates the prime directive. It makes no sense!”

AA: “It makes financial sense, pap! By destroying the essence of Star Trek, I can make it appeal to people who didn’t give a fuck about it before. They have money too! Speaking of which, Ensign Dubai Phil, please report to the Undeserved JJ Abrams worship platform”

But that was explained in the movies, something to do with interference in the Volcano that meant the transporters wouldn’t work. As for the rest of it, I agree, however…

You are wrong about the new Star Trek, they needed to do something different so the re-boot/re-writing of the Star Trek universe was needed. Personally it took me 3 or 4 watches of the first film to really like it, into Darkness was good but I don’t think Cumberbatch was really the best choice for Kahn (heresy I know).

JJ likes his lens flare and his oblique story telling (Fringe for example) but I think he did a fair to good job with redeveloping Start Trek.

As for the new Star Wars, when it was annouced that Disney were doing it I thought it would be dumbbed down for kids, but seeing the behind the scenes and the trailers I am proper pumped up for it…

Originally posted by @BTripz

But that was explained in the movies, something to do with interference in the Volcano that meant the transporters wouldn’t work. As for the rest of it, I agree, however…

Except how the fuck do they get Spock out of the volcano? Oh yeah, transporters :laughing:

It’s an insult to the intelligence.

You are wrong about the new Star Trek, they needed to do something different so the re-boot/re-writing of the Star Trek universe was needed. Personally it took me 3 or 4 watches of the first film to really like it, into Darkness was good but I don’t think Cumberbatch was really the best choice for Kahn (heresy I know).

Disagree completely. Rick Berman and co were treading water in the final years of the syndicated TV show, but this isn’t the move Star Trek needed. It’s got enough fans; never needed to compromise itself to appeal to a wider audience. Missed the point entirely.

Khan doesn’t even make fucking sense in that movie. For starters, he was out of date by 1990. According to TOS and WoK, that’s when he took over most of Asia, and that’s when he and the crew of the Botany Bay were frozen and sent off into space. They almost ruined the best Star Trek film when making this one. That’s how truly shit it is.

JJ likes his lens flare and his oblique story telling (Fringe for example) but I think he did a fair to good job with redeveloping Start Trek.

Again, disagree in the strongest possible terms. The man has no clue what the franchise is about, and seems to have produced the complete opposite.

As for the new Star Wars, when it was annouced that Disney were doing it I thought it would be dumbbed down for kids, but seeing the behind the scenes and the trailers I am proper pumped up for it…

Take a look at Red Letter Media’s reviews. They nail all of the problems with those movies for me.

Just to really annoy Papster…

Got home from a crazy extended European Tour yesterday evening.

And today?

Yes Sotonians. you can now award me every badge going. Your very own Dubaister has…

AMAZINGLY got through the first set of auditions to be in…

Star Trek!

Holy Sh1t to actually be in with a shout of appearing in my greatest favouritest TV Show/Movie Franchise ever is completely insane.

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/knowledge/news/65525-time-out-auditions-for-star-trek-–-you-can-too

Time Out auditions for Star Trek – you can too

We go undercover at the open auditions for the new Star Trek film being shot in UAE, much like Star Wars and a new Brad Pitt movie in Abu DhabiDiscuss this article

It may seem a land far, far away, especially during rush hour, but Studio City is this week a gateway to a whole other galaxy. Until August 13, residents are being encouraged to boldly go where no man has gone before – or ‘Soundstage Building B’ out the back, as it is officially known – and audition for the new Star Trek movie which will be shot in the UAE later this year.

We sent our very own Klingons – ok, ‘reporters’ – along to try out.

With phasers set to stun anyone who stands in our way, we follow the ‘Extras’ sign to a giant holding room. And there were we thinking we’d at least get a tour of the Enterprise.

The queue here is surprisingly short, and we join the back in good spirits. But half an hour on we’ve moved at anything but warp speed. The support team – disappointingly not dressed in Starfleet uniform – keep everyone hydrated and insist we’ll all be seen. Even the guy who’d arrived in a Star Wars t-shirt.

Excitement is piqued when we turn the corner to see the ‘Casting’ sign high above a door. It wanes again when we see the same length queue as the one we’ve just got through, but is reignited as word passes down the line that they are looking for more than 1,000 extras.

Tablets are passed down the line on which we fill in our details and answer a short questionnaire about ourselves (nothing too prying, just general questions about interests, languages spoken and special skills). We decide to tick the box marked ‘basic French’, hoping it might give us an advantage, but omit the fact we last spoke it in school.

After another half hour – spent mentally brainstorming cool and casual, yet memorable and definitely unrehearsed answers to a selection of questions like 'why do you want to be an extra’, and ‘tell us something interesting about yourself’ – it’s our turn to be seen. Almost.

We hand our ID to someone behind a desk, she checks our information from the tablet and directs us to another holding room. It’s now more than three hours since we arrived and we’re in danger of slipping into hyper-sleep. Beam us up, Scotty. Please.

When our names are finally called, we’re given a whiteboard listing our contact details and led into yet another room to be photographed several times. From there it’s on again, ushered quickly to the next room where all aspects of our body are measured, right down to hand circumference and finger sizes. Resistance to any of it is futile.

And that’s it. It’s over in less than five minutes and we’re on our way without an inclination as to long before we’re informed of any decision. We can only assume they’ll be hailing on all frequencies, it’s the only way.

By Time Out staff
Time Out Dubai, 12 August 2015

Of course, knowing my luck filming will be the same day as my Son’s wedding and I won’t be able to do it, but a damned fun day out at least giving it a go!

Back in the day, you could buy Star Wars Toys. If you were clever and kept them you could make a fortune today. It was an early sign of other ways of millking money from your movie.

Then we had spin-off games.

And now, have they gone too far? A Star Wars Make Up Spin off? A joint branding deal with Max Factor no less.

#sellingyoursoul

Meanwhile, over at the rival Star Trek Franchise (I’m sorry you may have to put up with quite a bit of this in the next month or so as I am now officially ITK and being followed by all sorts of weirdos/following all sorts of Star Trek info sites as we build up to their landing here in Dubai.

1. Look who’s in Star Trek Beyond!

2. They are “Selling” walk on parts (well raffling them) to raise money for charity (during the Vancouver part of their filming. IF we get in down here we get PAID!)

1 Like

Bump to help site performance

There have been a few edits of episodes I-III to make it watchable. Topher Grace recently did an 85 minute cut from all seven hours of content. I watched this 2 hour edit last night, and it’s pretty good.

It skips almost all of the first film, huge tracts of the second and third to produce a concise, tight edit which focuses on the fall of Anakin

With the introduction of a couple of deleted scenes, and the removal of some fucking cringeworthy ones (not to mention that whole stage in their relationship when he’s six years old), actually makes the Anakin/Padme thing credible.

ooh ooh. Can we go & queue at the cinema yet?

https://video-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xaf1/v/t43.1792-2/11392148_1054469517896719_456666184_n.mp4?rl=1500&vabr=826&oh=f7fc2d529a090e88dd58876e677eca7d&oe=55EC5CD0

Sorry can’t get the actual vid to load came off FB not you tube

The boys are in town!

Doing the tourist bit up the Burj Khalifa this evening.

Oh, so no I am not in the movie as I have to go to my sons’ wedding. HOWEVER, heard from one of my sources today that this whole City is about to encounter 2 weeks of traffic carnage as they film all around the main arterial road here! Mwah mwah mwah.

They’ve already spent 3 weeks with diversions and building new lakes in some parts of town! I’ll be sipping 6X and laughing and the poor suckers left behind here!

1 Like

Kirk has had more forehead installed for this movie, and Spock has got less. What is up with that?

2 Likes

My nuts need this film to be on very soon: the Martian may just keep me going for a few weeks, but if its December, they may well have fallen off.

I’m also worried about the appearance of Moobs.

Some new spin on a Borg assimilation?

Don’t worry about anything in the new Star Trek films, Phil.

Worry that all the time they’re on, no series will get made.