Southampton vs Swansea match thread

Relieved to take 3 points from that. Normally when we miss chances of that magnitude we invariably get punished.

Back to back wins and 2 clean sheets…season starts now!

3 Likes

Charlie looks like a striker who is enjoying his football. He was excellent.

6 Likes

He is hungry for goals for sure. I think if he stays fit he will be brilliant. Then Liverpool will put in £40million offer in the summer.

3 Likes

I’m not worried at all. Really not. We have a very good team, still playing football the right way. It is all coming together now.

I look at some of the other teams and think, my god they are terrible. Yes some may take points off us, but on the whole they are very poor (at the moment), as we are not playing badly, the quite opposite, the teams I talk about are below.

Sunderland

Stoke

Burnley

Boro

Hull

West Ham (who will get better)

WBA

Bouremouth

i would put a wager on that we will finish about 7 of the 8 above and probably Watford, Palace and Swansea.

We are pretty good. :lou_sunglasses:

5 Likes

I thought that was a great all-round performance from us today. Looked solid in defence, Romeu was especially good at shielding the back 4 and pressing in midfield. Long & Redmond’s movement is sublime but both of their finishing is a bit suspect at the moment - more game time and training will hopefully improve that. Austin took his goal well but a few question marks over his fitness still, though you can’t doubt that he knows where the back of the net is. Good to finally get that first win on the board, hopefully that will give everyone a boost.

Great thing for me about this win is the rotation from the Sparta game - we’ve seen 6 or 7 changes in each game and we’ve produced 2 dominating and (mostly) complete performances from 2 very different teams. Great strength in depth at the club now, which should stand us in good stead going forward.

9 Likes

That was promising. Admittedly Swansea were piss poor (I was expecting more after their display against Chelsea last week) Second half we were all over them. A lot to be positive about from what I saw.

Redmond’s miss was a shocker but he didn’t let it get him down and was a constant menace in the second half. Austin looked hungry. Tadic had (another) good game. We’ve still got the much vaunted Boufal to come in. I am tentatively optimistic that this new system is starting to click.

3 Likes

This game proves really what many think, this League is a very weak one, Swansea aren’t a top flight team and they aren’t the worsed by a long stretch, we aren’t either but this season its seems a grind in the way we play to a reall effort to score, it shoudn’t be that way against poorer teams yet we struggle.

get a grip Barry. When we lose there will always be people that moan and then when we win there will always be people who day it’s because the league is shit. It’s very disrespectful to say Swansea aren’t a top flight team. Have faith, things are going to get better. Fitness, Boufal, Claude’s English, finishing, being familiar with the system… all of these will get better and saints will get better. I feel it in me bones.

8 Likes

Swansea are shit and brought nothing to the game, the Premiership is in the main shite, you need some reality.

It seems the same season after season, we play attractive football and dominate possession, but can never ever put the ball in back of the net. How many games should we have won 5 or 6 nil? Today being a prime example

Have no idea why this is the case.

Oh, happy with the win though

:lou_lol:

You need some reality! I will slap you round the face with my cock.

1 Like

1st 15 mins of the 2nd half was like the days of Golac Keegan et al.

Wave after wave of attacking confident football. We scored a legit goal (Redmond wasn’t offside) defied the laws of physics and ONLY scored one.

It was by far the best I have seen us play in years and with Boufal pulling strings as we hope he can shows we are very good.

Then we scored & our intensity fell right off. We held Swansea running at about 50%

Previous concerns surfaced Fonte came a millisecond from another penalty & red & for me is still not at his best.

But as a unit I see where we are going, now IF we get the left side working like Tadic & Soares did we could tear many teams to shreds WHEN Long & Redmond learn to finish.

Frustrating yet encouraging

Downside cannot see a future for Isgrove if Coco gets on ahead of him in RM even if I understand the logic

3 Likes

That is a reality I and many others fear, not death but your smelly bellend being wafted about freely.

Thing is that the blackbox aint found a 25 goal a season striker for 10mil… and we aint got the 50mil + 150k+ a week to pay for a proven one… last 25goal as season striker we had was Beattie :lou_surprised:

4 Likes

Originally posted by @cobham-saint

but can never ever put the ball in back of the net. How many games should we have won 5 or 6 nil? Today being a prime example

Have no idea why this is the case.

Except we did today. And we had a perfectly good goal ruled out.

But apart from that we never ever put the ball in the back of the net.

2 Likes

Oh,ffs, take one bit of my post to make a clever point…

We should have scored way more and you know it. We bossed that game and only put one away. I’m happy with the win and how we played. The finishing needs to be improved, that’s all.

Hyperbole and unnecessary pessism have no place here. There’s a special thread for that.

But, yes, we should have scored more. We looked fucking good at times though. And we appear to be looking better the more games we play. I’m happy with that at the moment.

Where’s the hyperbole and pessimism? We seem to be in agreement…

1 Like

Enjoyable game, albeit a little too squeaky-bum at times. Credit to Puel for changing it up when needed (Austin and Hojberg). Good game from Tadic. Redmond not a striker (yet). Romeu and Van Dijk immense.

Is it me or is Fonte still in a bit of a funk?