:southampton: šŸ–¼ Southampton - Past in pictures - places & people

Wow, just discovered this thread. Itā€™s great.

My mum worked in Edwin Jones around the time of this publication, mid-60s.

1 Like

If youā€™re interested in this, well worth reading Philip Hoareā€™s excellent book, Spike Island, all about the hospital and the site. Heā€™s a brilliant writer and tā€™s a fascinating history.

2 Likes

I lost hours, days, weeks posting in this thread, but loved every minute of it. Love looking back at all these pictures in one place.

2 Likes

Here you go, this is a fantastic read : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spike-Island-Memory-Military-Hospital/dp/1841152943

1 Like

Ooooooo, cheers for that.

Looking back over all the pages, I really love this shot. The fact it has SMS in it and it looks just like the map. You can see how small the Isle of Wight is.

6 Likes

Northam gasworks in early 1900ā€™s courtesy of Historic Southampton on Twitter.

3 Likes

One from recent history (this morning in fact) courtesy of Dan Snow on Twitter:

1 Like

Is it just me or do all @sfcsim 's recent pics resemble the well-known painting, ā€œPolar bear in blizzardā€?

Not me @pap gov, this will be photobucket, fucking up again. Site is down! Iā€™m sure/hopefully they will return. :lou_sad:

Courtesy of SeeSouthampton ā€on Twitter

American trucks awaiting D Day 1944. Lone naval gunner with Hotchkiss anti aircraft gun on Catchcold Tower.

6 Likes

Doesnā€™t look big enough to take out a Seagull.

With The Civic Centre in the distance behind him, it looks like he is facing West ā€¦ surely he should be facing top the East to keep out the great unwashed from our fair city :wink:

Southampton High Street pre-Luftwaffe:

COHSOT

3 Likes

Yes, Iike @dinger , I can also recommend Philip Hoareā€™s excellent book Spike Island, especially for those, like me, who grew up in Southampton or the surrounding area during the 60s, 70s etc.

Actually, Iā€™ve read a few of Hoareā€™s books featuring the local area, and have found all of them to be very well written and interesting.

2 Likes

LS Lowry painting of the floating bridgec.1956:

COHSOT

3 Likes

^^^ Still in Southampton Art Gallery although Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s on permanent display. Havenā€™t been for a while.

In the 1100s, this was site of St Mary Magdalen leper hospital, founded by the burgesses of Southampton. ā€˜Marlandā€™ derives from that.

3 Likes

That ball looks very heavy :lou_lol: