Soton

I’ve always wondered about that abbreviation. Sotonians are the only people that know about it, yet we put it in road signs, painted on the roads etc.

Visitors to Southmpton must wonder where the hell they went wrong! Soton!!? Fuck it! I wanted to go to Southampton to do some serious shopping and visit a Premier League footy match!! Now I’m ending up in fucking Soton! get me the hell out of this stupid village! Why is there a fucking castle in the middle of the road? This dump doesn’t even have a cute little aviary in one of it’s parks! What are all those fucking boats about? What is this? Frigging Dunkirk all over again?

Sotonia is a more cool name for a town than i.e. Southampton. They should prob change it back imo.

Apropos of nothing in particular, but I was once driving to the Spa Grand Prix in Belgium, and at one point was following the signs to Liège. All of a sudden the directions to Liège disappeared and all I could see was signs to Luik.

Apparently this is an example of hilarious Belgian humour. They are the French and Dutch names for the same place.

****s.

According to the Echo, they did it:-

Length reasons, basically. And to think; if the Echo hadn’t been such printing price pikeys, we might all be on a site called Southamptonians.com.

I’m gonna start Southamptonians.com once you turn into a forum nazi, start banning people and we need a new home!

1 Like

Things could have been worse

Urban Dictionary: Hampton - Cockney rhyming slang for penis or ‘dick’

1 Like

Originally posted by @Spudders

I’m gonna start Southamptonians.com once you turn into a forum nazi, start banning people and we need a new home!

I’m not feeling the forum Nazi bit at the moment, nor do I really want to have to ban anyone, but I think that southamptonians.com is a safe bet regardless.

Give it time pap, give it time!!!

It is indeed - from Hampton Wick I believe. I remember a Two Ronnies sketch in which mention was made of joining Southampton and Northampton to make on very large hampton. Well, it worked back then, anyway.

I always thought it was because Southampton didn’t fit on the videprinter.

Ah yes, Fowllyd, The Two Ronnies, weren’t they great!?

I’ve long suspected this sketch might be the favourite of a certain couple of posters on here. :smile:

Well, I for one am glad that the Echo invented the term. Not only is it phonetically pleasing (who doesn’t love that long “o” sound?), but I’m left considering the alternatives. Southamptonian is alright, but there’s a real drop off in quality after that. Southamptoner? Sounds like it’s jumped off the pages of Commando.

Observe.

“Achtung. Englander!”

“Achtung. Southamptoner!”

I love “mush” as a term for Southampton people, and call Northerners it all the time (they love it), but the problem with that is the skates use it too.

Going back to the abbreviated form, I also like Sotonist, but that sounds more like someone that is really skilled in the art of being Southampton-like, or alternatively, totally into Southampton.

Sotonians. Our least worst option.

1 Like