:pl: :saints: Saints v Scouse Hampton :liverpoolfc:

Just 1 bag, don’t want Baz to go over his luggage limit.

1 Like

Gee we love to ball watch

Also, when the ball don’t drop for you

And an own goal from Van Dyke :wink:

Cmon son, get up

Yeah. What a shit result against the European Champions

2 Likes

Fuck

A more than decent effort for long periods of that game. Long and loud applause from saints fans afterwards

2 Likes

A good old clap will see us right for 9 months…

No surprise you don’t understand saints fans.

Not nowadays, since the new stadium, even my mum has a season, fucks that all about.

What, so your mum goes to the games but you don’t?

Must be humiliating, mate. Ever thought of getting the in-laws to use some of that smuggled Nazi gold to sort you out? :smiley:

Yes, I know we lost and all, but that was a very good and highly encouraging performance. They scored two goals, the first of which was a Mane special (you could say that we should have closed him down better, but a player of his quality isn’t so easy to close down). The second stemmed from a mistake by Bednarek - hugely unfortunate, as he had an excellent game apart from that. Our goal was a great comedy effort, but we could and should have scored more than that.

What was encouraging about that performance then? First, we never looked remotely outclassed - we took the game to them, gave them plenty to think about and I think it’s safe to say that they had to work bloody hard today. Bearing in mind Liverpool’s achievements over the past two seasons that’s not too shabby.

Second, our new players looked more than decent. Adams gave their defence a tough time - he’s quick, strong, has a good touch and holds the ball up very well. He should have scored (a foot lower and his header would have been in, as Adrian was nowhere near it). We know that he can score; I reckon he’ll get a few this season. Djenepo wasn’t on for too long but did enough to get fouled any number of times (the majority of which weren’t penalised, but hey ho - we were playing Liverpool, after all).

Third, established players played well and were anything but intimidated by the opposition. The defence did pretty well against an attack that includes Mane, Salah and Firminho (howler for their second goal aside); the midfield made sure that Liverpool’s midfield didn’t dominate; the strikers gave their defence a hard time of it. Gunn made some excellent saves when called upon too.

So what should change for the next match? Presumably Danso will be likely to play, in which case will we play two or three central defenders? I’d go for two, in which case the other CB should be Bednarek (in order of how they played today I’d put it as Yoshida => Bednarek => Vestegaard, but I think Bednarek’s the best player of those three so he should play). If we stick with three CBs then Vestergaard should give way.

If we play four at the back, I’d go for Valery, Danso, Bednarek and Bertrand, with Hojbjerg, Romeu and Ward-Prowse in front of them and Redmond, Ings and Adams up front. Juggle that a little and you have the 4-2-2-2 that Ralph apparently favours.

One way or another, I feel optimistic and not pessimistic after today’s game. If we’d simply surrendered and gone for damage limitation then I certainly wouldn’t be feeling that way, even with my natural tendency towards optimism.

And one last thing. The referee was fucking shocking. Every time a Liverpool player went down, they got a free kick, sometimes accompanied by a booking. We got fuckall; when Redmond was manhandled off the ball late in the second half we didn’t even get a free kick, and the general pattern of decisions was very much along those lines. Pretty much what we expect, but fucking annoying nonetheless.

7 Likes

The last five years? Last season you were saying the last three, so I’m not sure where the extra one has come from. Whatever. In 2014-15 we finished seventh, in 2015-16 we finished sixth. Yes, we were quite clearly mentally weak and couldn’t finish for shit in those seasons.

5 Likes

You go as well.

Missed the game coz festival. Is barry still being a twat?

1 Like

Is the Pope still Catholic?

3 Likes

Some great comedy in the posting. I liked this bit.

Now there’s someone that never sat through a Pellegrino game :wink:

6 Likes

Say what now?

@Fowllyd once got very upset about what he thought was a wallet loss. He was very drunk, but frankly, he had @pap-level conspiracy ideas that day :slight_smile:

2 Likes