:saints: Saints v Everton :evertonfc: (PL)

Echo what @Goatboy says about the stand out players, though I would add a shout for Ings too, as he offers so much to our play. JWP was immense.

Defence needs to be more decisive under pressure and cut out the silly heading straight up when they have time to clear.

But overall the passion, effort and determination is 100% more evident than it used to be.

Oh and despite what Baz would claim, the atmosphere was pretty good too. Onwards!

5 Likes

Oh, and Pompey’s lead at the top of div 1 cut to just a single point after 2-1 defeat at mighty Oxford :grin:

7 Likes

We are going to be unbeatable once we learn how to take decent throw ins

2 Likes

I ‘might’ have been referencing Mr Sanchez…

4 Likes

Where is he btw? Not much to moan about today I guess?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

James Ward-Prowse - Man of the Match Bazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2 Likes

Baz knows his footballing onions.

Anyone see the refgoad the fans after not awarding a free kick to Armstrong and getting a load of flak for it!

Fecking wanker

It was a fuckin’ bizarre episode. I don’t think I’ve seen a more blatant mugging of a player only to see the free-kick given to the mugger. I don’t know if it will be shown on MotD but it be worth watching for that alone.

1 Like

Yeah, WTF was he doing with his hands. I guess it was some sort of gesture to explain his decision but it looked a bit David Brent.

2 Likes

Very good performance and really played as a team, working hard for each other(and looking like they enjoyed it).
A comment in the guardian from an Everton supporter stood out, as it makes the difference hit home.

“Lets get the easy bit out of the way,Southampton fully deserved their victory,in fact the final score line flattered Everton,there’s a team that was involved in a marathon cup tie in the week,yet covered every blade of St Marys,harassed the visitors,out fought them and should have won by more.”

How quickly things can change.

8 Likes

Didn’t know the result until after 5 as was in the Epstein watching my daughter in Snow White, she was a sheep/forest elf thing, I go as far to say it was a BAFTA performance.

6 Likes

By all accounts the best game of his Saints career, I’ll watch it later and comment.

Looks like we’re 6th out of 8 on MOTD tonight.

Unsurprisingly Liverhampton first.

1 Like

May as well drop this here

Looking at MOTD and attendances I had a google on stadium capacity

So, a few examples: Liverhampton over 50k,Arsenal 60k, Manure 74k, Southampton 32k - but Bournemouth 11k - wtf!! Worse than The Dell. They must only be surviving on Sky ££££

Really enjoyed that - excellent game of football, with the right result. JWP was just superb, but the team as a whole played really well - I like the comment of an Everton fan posted above by SoS, which sums it all up nicely.

For their goal we could and should have cleared it. JWP tried a backwards header when he had plenty of time to do something more considered, but I wouldn’t blame him for that. He needed a shout from a teammate to tell him he had that time.

JWP’s goal was a beauty. Just watched it a few more times on MotD; good win of a 50/50 ball, positive and powerful run, superb finish. Seems like he’s responded to Ralph’s management (and the same goes for so many others too). The second goal looked really odd from my seat in the Kingsland. Lovely ball from Hojbjerg to Redmond, but then it looked as if he was tackled and went down in the act of shooting (now there’s an innuendo-laced phrase if ever there was one). However, the ball zipped past Pickford’s dive and into the goal. It was only when watching the big-screen replays at the ground that I could properly see what had happened.

One final point. At the actual game, it never felt as scary as some of the posts on here make it sound. A team that’s 2-0 down with little time to play will always throw everything into it; it they get a goal back with a few minutes left they’ll redouble their efforts (unless they’re managed by Mauricio Pellegrino, obviously). But Everton rarely threatened and never looked too likely to score one, let alone two. We kept them out pretty comfortably I thought - never really felt that we were desperately hanging on.

7 Likes

Apart from the ongoing defensive lapses in concentration that I saw - admittedly only online (in the warm btw) - I have to agree.

Good summary.

1 Like

Agree, a few hairy moments but they are becoming fewer with each passing game.

vestergaard is now looking like a footballer which is a surprise to many I am sure.
His age means he will make mistakes, but after so many seasons of tinkering, one mantra in football stays the same.
Players NEED regular game time. "Match Fitness we used to call it.

Maya showed how he improved in seasons past when he got regular starts instead of an accident a game it was maybe 1 every 5 or 6.

We are seeing the same results with all our CM’s and CB’s now. Can’t help wonder if Gardos would have made it under Ralph, he had one immense game at OT then got injured and never played again.

Cedric is doing enough to be cover until RB is fit as well. Great to watch us these days.

7 Likes