:pl: :saints: Saints v Crystal Palace :crystalpalacefc:

I didn’t see that option in the poll.

If only it had been there 3 times I might have noticed it.

Sounds like a great atmosphere.

And that is all she wrote.

A good point, that.

1 Like

Palace will be happier with a point. We had some good chances in the second half. Jwp and Stephen’s both good again.

2 Likes

4 points from Chelsea away and Palace (a decent away team) at home = yes please.

Djenepo was also pretty decent when he came on.

Grinding out draws in those sort of games is important. We have been losing by the odd goal so finding some belief that we can salvage points from losing positions will be vitally important moving forwards.

Edit: and with Villa losing that is a point gained on 18th and their goal difference catching up with ours.

2 Likes

Grinding our way to safety.

Could do with Everton and West Ham to stutter and Watford can fuck off with their improved form.

It was(even at 0-1). Positive from the fans, rather than the usual heads down, we’re shit attitude.
We played well and the fans can see

We’re on the up and a result against spurs would be the icing on the cake.

Ralph is not un-happy

Us and Brighton are joint top with 5 goals against ruled out. Spurs are third with 4 goals.

Decent game, that. Even when they scored (and it didn’t get disallowed) I didn’t feel as if we’d lose - we looked like we had goals in us throughout the game, in a way that we simply didn’t against West Ham. Palace aren’t a bad side by any means, though they were annoyingly niggly, whining at the ref any and every time a decision went against them. I know most, if not all teams do this, but they did seem egregious to me.

The error that led to Ings’ goal was forced by Djenepo’s excellent pressing - the Palace defenders were clearly worried by his extra pace, and Kelly couldn’t wait to get rid of the ball as he knew that Djenepo was bearing down on him. And once Ings had seized on the loose ball it was only going to end up in one place.

Quite how Bednarek missed that chance in the first half is beyond me - it happened right in front of us and, as the old cliché goes, it really did look easier to score than miss. Nicely timed run to get into that position, pity it wasn’t Ings (or indeed Adams, who could really use a chance like that) instead though. But Bednarek and Stephens both played well, and we did as good a job of stifling Zaha as could reasonably be expected - he’s always going to make defences look foolish a few times in any match, and we handled him well for the most part.

In all, I’d agree with @Goatboy that Palace will definitely be happier with the point; we always looked likely to score, and their keeper made some excellent saves. He got the man of the match rating in the BBC report, which certainly says something. Boufal was disappointing today - made a lot of poor decisions on whether to pass or take on players, but Djenepo certainly made a difference when he came on.

I thought their number 4, Milivojevic, was lucky to be on the pitch for much of the match. He was booked for taking out Boufal, upon which he yelled abuse right in the ref’s face; the ref called him back as he ran off, and I wondered if he was going to send him off. I reckon he should have done - it wasn’t the first time Milivojevic had done similar, and having just been booked he was very fortunate to get away with it. Other than that I thought the ref was pretty good - played some nice advantages, including one where he subsequently booked JWP for a nasty foul on Zaha.

8 Likes