:saints: Saints v Burnley :burnleyfc: (PL)

Yes, I fucking am.

You could just use it, but, how can I put this?

Itā€™s a little tainted.

Itā€™s like lending some underwear to a mate. You donā€™t ask for it back.

Hughes admitting that weā€™re shit with 3 at the backā€¦ although I think heā€™s going to persist until we get it right (which could well be a problem)

We just allowed them too many opportunities where we didnā€™t get our system right,ā€ added Hughes. ā€œThe three centre halves maybe needed a little bit more clarity. Once we went to a back four we needed to defend correctly.
ā€œWe havenā€™t had a lot of time working with the three lads, itā€™s only been three or four weeks and at times you saw they were maybe a little bit at odds in terms of who would engage and who would drop off and we got that wrong on a couple of occasions.

What concerns me about that is that he hasnā€™t identified that the problems with 3 at the back are the space it leaves in midfield if we have 2 up front, the dearth of goals if we have one upfront, the fact the team moves as 3 individual units instead of as one and fact that neither our right or left back (despite their reputations) like playing box to box to make the formation work.

2 Likes

The last bit of this is the most important I reckon.
Your fullbacks have to be right on their game for 3-5-2 to be effective. That hasnā€™t been the case for more than a season.

3 Likes

The new Darren Powell!!