:pl: :saints: Saints v Aston Villa :astonvillafc:

That was pretty terrible. These are the sort of games at home you should be winning. If you don’t, you are in the world of poo. Last 2 at home in the league we have looked clueless and lost them both 0-1. Win those 2 and things are rosey. Even 4 points! Fine margins. But not good enough, and worryingly still crap at home (Man City aside). I fancy us more away at the moment.

Luck/curse of being in the bottom three. Well, unfortunately for @Polski_Filip, I shall be positive next week too!

2 Likes

I don’t think you can leave shots on target until the last 10 minutes - especially if luck has been against you and you are 1-0 down at home.

1 Like

Tbh, the team is crying out for Alcarez (who at least can turn on a thripence) to be given the “Pass it to him, you da man” mantle. Not sure why you dont bring him on in todays circumstances

Buying a striker won’t even help us now if we give no service. Being a saints fan is shit sometimes.

Too many misplaced passes for comfort as well.

Perraud on instead of Orsic. Nuff said.

True.
I didnt notice Orsic was on the pitch either

Completely done by shit defending, shit passing, dodgy reffing and bent VAR. Ref bought the falling over antics every time. No way was that a foul in the box for our goal. This team hasn’t got what it takes to stay up. We’re too nice and Jones hasn’t got the wherewithal to sort this out. Yes, we’ll have the odd unexpected win when we least suspect it but in the whole we’re sub standard for the Prem. All over the park today we looked shit. JWP was back to being shit, Adams was diabolical, Diallo was Diallo. Yet again KWP was half decent but he must be thinking about next season by now and thinking “Do I really want to get kicked about every week hopelessly running up and down this wing ?” He’s not cut out for the Championship.

Honeymoon over chaps … Normal business has been resumed. Just got to wait to find out what bollocks Jones comes out with now about why he couldn’t inspire us to even 1 point against a shit Villa side.

5 Likes

Difficult to disagree with any of that. It was a poor and scrappy game of football, we were back to the bad old habit of giving the ball away too often and headless chicken defending at times, we were fortunate that Villa were almost as hapless as us in front of goal, and we were absolutely toothless. Didn’t deserve to have that goal ruled out, it was a poor decision but to be fair a win would have flattered us on the run of play. And I’m sorry but a starting line up with Adam Armstrong and Che Adams as twin strikers is surely a textbook example of Einstein’s definition of insanity.

2 Likes

Don’t worry lads, there’s still time left in the transfer window. So we can get some new recruits in, then not play them.

I didn’t watch or follow the game (largely because I’m a shit fan, but also because I was busy and fully expecting a return to usual form) but I don’t understand why we bothered signing Orsic if we aren’t going to play him in these sort of games. He played in a World Cup a month ago yet we persist with Adam Armstrong.

We’ve not seen anything of Orsic and Alcatraz to tell us they’re shit but the same can’t be said of the alternatives he played today.

If he doesn’t give them starts in the semi to get minutes under their belts, then we might as well just pack up and go home.

3 Likes

Tactically NJ picked the right line up. Villa are vulnerable behind their CBs AA & Sam could expose that.
Except we didnt move the ball at all let alone fast enough to get them turning their FBs
Then it got turgid & they have a bit better players than us.

Deserved soemthing from that, but too many misplaced passes. Brainless challenge that gave way the free kick they scored from.

1 Like

Just before that, Lavia (I think) played a shocking pass to put them through on goal, they really should have scored. It wasn’t an isolated case.

2 Likes

We are shite at home. Better away from home, but won’t win enough of those games to stay up. Jones can’t get home team selection right and we’re running out of home games. No lack of effort, but just ain’t good enough.

5 Likes

Right next to me and didn’t look a foul

And as for the disallowed goal. Totally down to Villa players making VAR think there was something to look at. Don’t think the ref was convinced to overturn but Villa were the stroppy ones. Appalling decision

3 Likes

And not the 1st dodgy VAR v Cilla

They were at it all game. Detestable side. if you give the ref something to blow for or VAR something to look at, it’ll be seen. It’s called deceiving the referee and we walked straight into it. Another evidence of a young naive side with no backbone.

2 Likes

Interesting on MOTD that Ramsey admitted his heel was “touched” for the foul. It didn’t knock him over - he said he “decided” to go down - buying the foul which seems to be accepted as ok, although it’s deliberately setting out to con the ref, and putting it simply cheating. Totally disagree with the pundits. And the replay shows clearly it wasn’t a stamp, not enough to put him down. He barely brushed his ankle. I’d guarantee that if Man U or similar had that goal disallowed we’d never hear the end of it.

2 Likes