Sadly another Terrorist attack in France

So by that you don’t think this had anything to do with religion?

No, that isn’t what I’ve typed at any point.

So what are you saying? I’m saying he did it in the name of a God/book.

You’re non committal in your answers, have some balls man.

Yeah I’m famous for holding back, ask Pap. :smile:

It seems a little like you are looking for an argument on a thread which has epitomised the best of Sotonians culture - sensible debate, with most people agreeing about the horror of a senseless attack, and looking for a constructive way forward.

But to address your point, I believe he is a man with mental issues who has latched onto religion as a justification for running kids over in a lorry.

So I don’t regard him as a proud Islamic warrior fighting a glorious holy war, nor do I believe that he represented a faith, even if you and he felt that he did.

I believe the pair of you are wrong.

5 Likes

So you’re saying he hijacked religion as he is mentally ill? Hmmm I don’t believe it, how many mentally ill do that? What about the Charlie Hebdo attack, were they mentally ill? The two policemen murdered last month? Mentally ill again and religious affiliation is a mere coincidence?

You have an argument with yourself.

But could you let the rest of us know when you’ve finished and we’ll come back to stack the chairs, put the cat out and lock up.

4 Likes

You could answer the questions?

There is no need for an argument, its discussion, you have a chance to reply but really have failed by diverting.

You think these attacks are by mentally ill people and I think they are by determined Jihadists or in this case a possible wannabe , I’ll go with what the experts think and not a poltical persuasion, that blinds.

Sometimes Barry you wear people down…not with the weight of lucid argument but with the pig-headed insistance that you could never be wrong.

I don’t get involved in any discussion you’re in volved in…like 90% of the other Sotonians who read these threads. I have no solution to your problem…it’s for you to fix.

I have no solution either and didn’t proclaim to have one, you can’t beat religious fundamentalism, it has to run its course. Wearing people down is something I can handle, I know when I am right and I’ll also concede when I’m wrong.

I would suggest that anyone who did what this chap did is mentally ill. I think that the mentally ill may be easier to manipulate by cults and religions into doing things that they think are right. I think that some mentally ill people may act alone in the thought that they’re doing the right thing. Most right minded people, if told by someone else to run a load of people over would say no.

2 Likes

Most people would say the same about leaving a bomb in a public place, are they mental?Or are they driven to do a job to acheive their final aims? The Charlie Hebdo attacks? The policemen being stabbed? Do you know of cases similar to this elsewhere?

Seriously, Barry - fuck off. Stop trying to make capital out of another senseless act of barbarity. Arsehole.

The man clearly had no stake in society. He seems to have fucked much of his life up, was estranged from his missus, his kids were almost certainly scared of him because of the domestic violence that they undoubtedly witnessed. His wife’s cousin reports that he was into all sorts of shit, didn’t live a Muslim lifestyle so fuck knows what bother the idiot got himself into.

Clearly, he not only felt he had nothing to live for, he also felt justified in taking others with him. Now this isn’t some society is at blame shit. I’m just trying to assert what we definitely do know, and at this point, that’s the only thing we can be reasonably confident about.

To Fatso’s point, I’m not sure he had to be mentally ill, but I wouldn’t discount it. I do know that a crisis of identity is quite commonplace among second generation kids. Two separate cultures, two sets of rules. If this man was radicalised, he’d have been an easy mark and a useful asset.

He’s almost the ideal recruit. A shitload to repent for, fuck all to live for, no ongoing understanding of the _actual _tenets of the Islamic faith and a history of being a total cunt in the past, therefore capable of being one in the future.

That all said, and this excuses nowt, France evidently has a real problem. Far right on one side, which remarkably for a party of that leaning, has decent relations with Israel, and a perceived other, who happen to be Muslim. No good will come of amplifying an already volatile situation with dangerous rhetoric.

1 Like

I’m not trying to make capital of anything and resent that accusation.

Jihad is conficting though isn’t it, some say its the way it has to be and others say no, so who is right in scholars terms as the word is twisted to suit whoever.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Jihad is conficting though isn’t it, some say its the way it has to be and others say no, so who is right in scholars terms as the word is twisted to suit whoever.

Yes, it can be, but conditions on the ground that Western nations have helped to create are enabling the sort of vengeful preaching you’re concerned about. We’ve seen this all before. Everything can be justified from one’s perspective. That doesn’t make it right, but it’s a reality we can’t ignore.

Same thing happened in Northern Ireland; people were radicalised because of what they saw as perceived injustice or slight.

Foreign policy decisions create reactions and drive decisions that seem irrational to most of us, but seem perfectly justified in the minds of those that would eventually do us harm. Western nations been making foreign policy decisions for the Middle East for a century now. I think it’s fair to say that largely, they haven’t helped.

EDIT

Addressing Barry’s itch rather than the tragic event in Nice.

1 Like

You don’t need to address or patronise me Pap, attack, agree or ignore.

If you want to talk about NI I could bore you totally, radicalised in that arena is totally different to the one we have now, for one Catholics have never killed themselves as it against their doctrine, apples and oranages.

I’m not sure that’s the salient point, Bazza.

I think it’s more about the willingness to indiscriminately inflict harm on others.

“He took his treatment, his medicine, and we thought he was doing well - here’s the medical certificate. I took him to the psychologist, he followed his treatment but sometimes he would have nervous breakdowns and he would break everything and demolish everything. He has had a nervous problem and when he becomes nervous he breaks everything. He had problems with his wife and I think that added to his mental health issues.”