Rio Olympics 2016

Looks like somebody in The South African Ladies Team might have a bit extra in the tackle department!!

1 Like

Can I mention Golf?

Good luck to Justin & Danny today. Obviously they have a chance of a Medal but Golf is so dependant on the way a player feels about a certain course and whether it fits their eye as much as it does about being on top form on the day.

I know there is a big debate about whether it should even be included but I guess like Tennis, so much in the event depends on “the type of surface” Clay or Grass, Bermuda or Fescue.

Anyway good luck to them and also the young Irish Lad playing with Harrington who was “plucked” from the “obscurity” of the Web.Com tour.

And yes, I could have been there, yes I was asked to go, yes they would pay for my lunches, but the actual process to Register, become accredited was insane - you had to pre-book a hotel to have a local adddress, To pre-book you had to pay in advance (non refundable) (almost 400 quid a night) THEN you would be security vetted, THEN you apply for a Work Visa.

All of that BEFORE asking the Boos for Vacation Time and all of THAT before mentioning to Mrs D_P - Hey honey I’m going to bugger off to Rio without you for a couple of weeks.

So no, I’m just looking forward to listening to Arabic Commentary on the golf…

There have been some notable injuries at the Olympics so far, indeed I was watching the womens beach volleyball and there was a nasty wrist injury, but i should be ok in a couple of days.

6 Likes

Did you see any nasty gashes?

2 Likes

Just off to The Pool for a dip now!! Temp down to about 45c now.

Nothing sums up the Olympic spirit like golf…

2 Likes

It is a good opportunity for someone outside the world top ten to win something. The olympic equivalent of a blankety blank cheque book and pen

1 Like

Originally posted by @ericofarabia

Originally posted by @Numptyboi

There have been some notable injuries at the Olympics so far, indeed I was watching the womens beach volleyball and there was a nasty wrist injury, but i should be ok in a couple of days.

Did you see any nasty gashes?

I was interested to see that the Womens Snatch was an actual event in the weightlifting, but disappointed to find it didn’t match my expectations. When i saw it, it put me right off my clean and jerk.

3 Likes

Oh Dear Lord.

Olympic Broadcast Service is “The Host Provider” who feed the images to your local Stations around the world.

It also means they provide the Commentators who seem to be exclusively Antipodean.

I am also now certain that they are multi-tasking because I just heard one say

OH NO FOWLER HAS MISSED THE GATE! THAT WILL BE A BOGIE TIME PENALTY FOR SURE.

And equally

Rose with a long range putt HES SCORED AN IPPON.

Waiting for “It’s such an undulating green he has the chance for a Double Back Somersaulkt and a Pike on the way to the Hole”

Someone PLEASE get Peter Alliss out of retirement

Or IF ONLY we weren’t being so shit at the Cricket (again)

Rugby 7’s Semi-Final SA V GB about to start.

Get in there! 7-5. GB in the final!

2 Likes

GB win.

Silver at least. Fiji in the final.

2 Likes

If only someone had mentioned Fiji.

You could have been cashing out by now…

That was a great effort, some solid defending.

1 Like

Bring on the cycling!

1 Like

It really is an amazing result. The GB squad were really not fancied at all going into this competition. It was actually England who qualified on behalf of GB. But, they seem to have gelled really well.

Originally posted by @Dubai_Phil

Can I mention Golf?

No, you can’t

1 Like

The 7 Rugbyers did really well - especially as they coped with the out-of-shape ball.

Also, why were they allowed to hand-ball it?

I don’t know a great deal about rugby, but that try by Dan Norton was fantastic in any sport.

Stunning acceleration, speed, balance and an amazing feint to dip the shoulder and put the saffa on his arse.

Use the word ‘step’, and you will be right in the scrum with a hand between your legs.

GB cyclists looking excellent!

1 Like