⬇ Relegation Season 2019/20

Right, I know it’s only a third played. A lot can happen in the January window, and conceivably a new manager could turn things around for us. Adams could suddenly start a prolific scoring streak, our defence might suddenly gel, a few good results would pull us out of the danger zone, so many variables could intervene and salvage our season.

But… I’m utterly convinced that this season we’re going down, almost like kismet. It’s written in the script and absolutely nothing is going to alter it. I have no idea what makes me so certain about it, does anyone else feel the same at this relatively early stage?

1 Like

I’m normally glass half full but this season it’s half full of runny poo.

6 Likes

We’re going to be OK - if we get and keep a regular left and right (wing) back pairing.

With that little bit of consistency, Ralph will turn it round. Still going to be mistakes and squeaky bums, mind.

1 Like

It kind of feels like too much is broken for everything/enough to be fixed. A culmination of problems and mistakes leading us to a crescendo of negativity around the place, coupled with a general feeling that our chickens are coming home to roost.

A case of blindly believing our own hype from relative success of 4 years ago and failure to recognise how unscientific football players and transfers are? And that ultimately ours was a risky strategy based on the fact that on the balance of probabilities we were always likely to accumulate as many, if not more, failures than successes. Being sustainable from player sales is great if you’re consistently producing a desirable commodity and profits off the back of it but the lack of a Plan B (a Plan for when you cannot sell players but still need to improve the team) is what is hurting us. And a failure to adapt to the changing market climate once everybody else, many of which with deeper pockets, cottoned on to our strategy and started investing huge sums in their youth academies and gem spotting in Europe’s lesser leagues.

Watford, Newcastle, West Ham all spent approximately £40m on single signings in the summer. That is double our record signing. Clearly the fact that Carrillo is said signing, illustrates that money doesn’t guarantee you anything these days, however there is still an argument that suggests we are living in the past with the fees we are willing to pay.

In summary it feels like we have been found out somewhat and lost meaningful direction. The snail pace at which this behind the scenes restructuring is taking place is quite staggering. Bearing in mind Ross Wilson was very heavily linked to Rangers LONG before he actually left begs the question why we weren’t better prepared for his departure.

Disarray.

3 Likes

A good analysis of how we’ve got here but I think there is a big difference between getting safe from here and competing in this league.

I do believe we can get ourselves safe, to compete is another thing.

I’ve felt this for several seasons, that we’re not going to compete but have just enough in the locker to stay up. Even when Hughes came in and most thought we were as good as down until the Swansea result, I always felt we’d somehow survive. Obviously I was hugely relieved when we actually got that win to confirm it, but I’d honestly expected that we’d manage it.

This season feels altogether different. I can’t explain it, but I’m sure we’re heading down.

5 Likes

In previous years we have felt that we have known the basic problems within the club, it gave us something to speculate on all the way back to Wigley & Burley.
Now there is emptiness. Nothing, we can see no reason. We see every football person leaving.
None of us would recognise our CEO in a pub even.
We have become empty, like Claus’s eyes at Fratton. Or like Ralphs’ after Leicester. God I actually long for a Ralph speech it is that bad.
Something is rotten and I agree, it ends with us going down

1 Like

More chance of getting a wank off the Pope than staying up this season.

2 Likes

Get on to the choirboy contingent at St Marys, I’m liking those odds :smile::+1:

It’s alright, it’s just been a difficult start…

https://twitter.com/Ankaman616/status/1194896382458503168?s=09

1 Like

Daughter of a Mate here with BF & another couple. Doing the tour. They are all Saints fans.
As always we talk in the van about everything.
Except when Saints were mentioned. There was simply a collective sigh followed by “let’s not spoil our holiday” and so back to talking about Vodka.

4 Likes

We’re out for dinner this evening with friends, the bloke is an avid supporter and season ticket holder, never misses a home game. He texted me this morning to say exactly that, “lets not ruin the evening by talking about the Saints.” :thinking::unamused::unamused:

5 Likes

I knew there must be a logical reason as to why we have been garbage.

Joking aside, I’d sooner be where we are with our end to the season than, say, Everton or West Ham.

Their next thirds of the season are the 2nd and 1st (1st and 2nd) toughest. Ours will be a piece of piss by comparison.

Probably.

If I PM you my address can you send me some of your optimism please? :laughing:

4 Likes

No need you can buy it over the counter, just take half of one of these twice a week for the rest of the season.

3 Likes

I see Bayern sacked Kovac last week, do you think that Rohl will want to come back here now then??

2 Likes

There could be a Rohl for him.

6 Likes

Drum Rohl for that one :lou_wink_2:

3 Likes

Keep going, we’re on a Rohl :grin::grin:

2 Likes