šŸ’³ ā“ Photo ID for Voting - good or bad

ID cards should be mandatory.
Lived inside that system for 26 years now.
Google & FB are far more sinister than a piece of plastic these days.
It makes life MUCH easier

2 Likes

You can moan about there being a financial barrier to individuals voting and Iā€™d have no problem with that.

I take more issue with the second part. The whole apparatus of voting and elections is funded by the taxpayer. If weā€™re okay with the tax-payer footing the bill for all of that, then I think we can handle the tax-payer footing the bill to improve that process.

This has nothing to do with tackling voter fraud, the offence of ā€˜personationā€™ at polling stations is miniscule. At the last election there was just one conviction in connection with an allegation of personation, out of 22 allegations.44.6 million votes cast and 1 conviction. Nothing wrong with ID cards per se, providing they are for the correct, and honest reasons. Issue them automatically on peopleā€™s 18th birthday, as most democracyā€™s do. But the Tories scrapped that plan as 'too expensive. Of course that wouldnā€™t get the required result. Cursory research shows this latest plan is straight from the Steve Bannon playbook, eagerly implemented by Dominc Cummings. Unlike in mainland Europe where everybody has a mandatory national ID card, in the US and UK the richer you are the more likely you have ID. This may come as a shock to people but there are many citizens of this country who canā€™t afford to go on foreign holidays and donā€™t have passports, and many who canā€™t drive so donā€™t have a driving licence. Up to 3.5 million people in this country donā€™t have access to photo ID, and 11 million donā€™t have a passport or driving licence. Shit, in 2013/14 1.7 million didnā€™t even have a bank account. I would bet that will be a bit higher now. Should they not get a vote? The homeless, already disenfranchised, wonā€™t be able to get ID. So the homeless wonā€™t be able to register a vote against the government of the day, who with their policies are increasing homelessness by record amounts. The very opposite of democracy.
This is a blatant and cynical red herring, designed to con people into thinking that Johnson, Cummings and co actually care about democracy.
Postal votes are subject to electoral fraud. Funding of election campaigns are subject to electoral fraud. The first past the post electoral system is itself a fraud, devised in 1888 to keep the rich elite in power whilst disenfranchising the moderate majority, and it has to be said it has been extremely successful. If the Johnsonā€™s and Rees Moggs of this world get their way, Dickensian lifestyles will no longer be something from the past.

3 Likes

I totally get your point & agree.
But you also quote that only 2/3tds of the UK bother to vote and only about 5% dont have ID
Do they all bother to vote?
Point is, be careful with numbers
And I think it should be mandatory that everyone has ID cards

Why are people so scared of an ID card? Seriously couldnā€™t give a shite, if the police are going to fit you up theyā€™ll do it, donā€™t need a bit of plastic with your photo on it for that, they have lots anyway.

Iā€™m intrigued why people think they should be compulsory/mandatory. Why? Whatā€™s the advantage?

We appear to have managed without.

I am one of those people who can afford ID but in 2012 I wasnā€™t working after being at uni and my passport ran out. I didnā€™t have much cash. I donā€™t drive and only have a paper provisional. I waited about 6 months to renew when Iā€™d got a new job. I did have to use the out of date one once, when asked for ID for buying some wine (I was 37 so quite liked that).

Anyway this is more about a thinly veiled accusation that mainly Labour ethnic minority voters are involved in fraudulent voting (thatā€™s what the comments I see on lovely Twitter are) and ensuring a Tory win next election by disenfranchising some.

Why are they doing this now? I doubt they will bring in free ID cards having previously scrapped the idea of cards in 2010 as soon as they came into power.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think people are scared of an ID card. Governments, especially this one are scared of giving one, which is why one of Cameronā€™s first acts was to scrap the idea. Because in a tiny, insignificant way a mandatory ID card at eighteen, identical to all, is equality. Prince or pauper, all must have one. A slippery slope, canā€™t be having that!

3 Likes

Doubt over.

https://twitter.com/CitizenCard/status/1183438589142671361

1 Like

I was going to mention the Citizen Card but I forgotted itā€™s name

Ok apparently you need a professional person to sign your photo. The GP charges for that kind of thing so some isolated low income people may struggle with that. It says if they donā€™t sign you have to produce, guess what? Photo ID.
If they waiver that and just give to those on electoral reg with a council tax letter or bill then maybe.
There was a time I didnā€™t have any of those items either. I lived in someone elseā€™s house on card metres and only had bank statements. I also donā€™t have my original birth certificate.
There are also some questions about the company and its backers.

What are the benefits?

1 Like

This is from somebody that has had to have photo ID due to where he works.

I donā€™t like it.

I obviously have photo id in passport, Driving licence, TIN number Philippines (thatā€™s a tax number) why do we need another ? the people in the UK that donā€™t drive or travel abroad should have an NI Number that is individual why can that not be used ?

2 Likes

Maybe go for some sort of code tattooed on forearm?

There is a data base for NI numbers.
is that not complete?

Hmmm, no canā€™t do that, would discriminate against people with no arms. Tattoo on the forehead might work though :thinking:

Wouldnā€™t work either, too many people losing their heads over this

And no Muslim ladies could vote you Racist bstdā€¦

:upside_down_face:

It would open a can of worms in metropolitan areas as well due to the amount of illegalā€™s in the Country, no Government will openly admit to a total and utter failure of whole immigration system.

1 Like

surely photo ID doesnā€™t work for them either then? :thinking:

:wink:

Grant the vote to all 16 year olds along with their National Insurance cards. All NI cards to have photo. All NI cards to be renewed every 10 years. Free. Should make ID cards more palatable.

3 Likes

Would be up for combining this

Why canā€™t your NI card double as your driving license and medical card - everything in one place