Pest control : to kill or not to kill

Originally posted by @Bearsy

Wtf is a rat sac?

It’s a rat sac Bearsy, and you’ve been caught.

Its a sac where a rat kips until its ready to come out.

Rats, Mice flies mosqito’s all get exterminated spiders and gecko’s get to stay as they eat the flies and mosies. frogs get relocated away from the swimming pool though. Dogs are now becoming adept at chasing the rats to the lairs and digging them out before destroying them.

If I remember correctly, people tend to eat most vermin over your neck of the woods

Originally posted by @CB-Saint

Originally posted by @PhilippineSaint

Rats, Mice flies mosqito’s all get exterminated spiders and gecko’s get to stay as they eat the flies and mosies. frogs get relocated away from the swimming pool though. Dogs are now becoming adept at chasing the rats to the lairs and digging them out before destroying them.

If I remember correctly, people tend to eat most vermin over your neck of the woods

“If it moves you can deep fry it when it stops moving you can eat it” is always a good rule of thumb

although that should go in the food and drink section.

Ive had rats on the birdtable this year which was rather weird. Rather than not feed the birds I put vaseline on the birdtable stand so the little buggers couldnt climb up and feed. Seems to have done the trick. I expect the little buggers are now sliding all over the place as their little paws will be covered in lube!

She committed hamicide? Was the little mite terminally ill or did she just decide to top it? I know how annoying those squeky wheels can be.

In my experience there a few problems in life that can’t be improved by liberally applying vaseline to a pole.

4 Likes

intiniki will be pleased to hear the glue traps have gone. New solution in play.

No fucking prisoners, mush!

Pap, iirc, cats bring live mice and slow worms and other semi conscious mutilated shit into the house. Apparently it’s a present.

1 Like

Aye, but they do kill them after a while.

One of our darlings bought a mouse into the house, as it was alive and I am a kind natured soul I tapped the back of the cat’s head with my hand under its jaw. The cat promptly dropped the mouse into my hand but it then jumped off and ran under the kitchen units.

I spent 5 minutes trying to retrieve it to no avail so I thought “Fuck you, I was only trying to save your life” and shut the kitchen door with the cat still insitu.

On returning 10 minutes later no mouse and a content cat!!

I’m an animal lover, which is different to what Bearsy does, but I have a clear agreement with mice.

Stay in the garden and fill your boots, but step inside the house and it’s you or me!

Over 30 years I have killed literally hundreds, many with nice clean kills on backbreaking traps but there are some horror stories…

One caught his leg and tried to get back through the hole in the wall with trap attached, I had to hack the skirting board apart to remove the corpse…

The worst one was the one that was caught on the trap but was still flipping about with a leg caught, I decided to drown him in the water butt, but as soon as I dunked him in there he left the trap and started half limping and half swimming round in circles.

I had to drown him by hand and felt bad about it not being a clean kill, after that I made sure the traps were more efficient.

Going back many years I finished one with a shoe in the bedroom against the skirting board and only last year I came into the kitchen to find one looking shocked.

Before he could leg it I two-foot tackled him into the bottom of the kitchen unit following up with several kicks that took out the bottom panel, but finished him off.

Roy Keane would have been well impressed.

Funniest one, opened the top of the compost bin in the garden to see him looking up at me, slammed the lid down and grabbed a stick.

Opened it again to discover I’d already killed him with the lid.

And the best bait? - peanut butter.

All in all it’s no task for the faint hearted but I’ll leave them in peace if they stay in the garden.

And anyone who says they’ve never had mice isn’t observant enough to spot the signs…

1 Like

My son used to be a keeper in Norfolk looking after a grey partridge shoot.

His philosophy?

Anything that’s not a grey partridge dies.

He was bloody good at it too.

Modern city dwellers have no idea of what goes on in the English countryside and has done for hundreds of years - but it’s all completely necessary to maintain the status quo.

I’m some kind of hippy I suppose. I can’t kill anything unless it presents some kind of real threat to my well being.

I won’t kill a wasp just because it is buzzing around my face. I don’t swat a fly, I take measures to stop them being a problem.

It’s fucking tigers I have a problem with. I’ve never met one that didn’t want to eat me. Kill them all!!! The stripey bastards!!

1 Like

Until today, I had never noticed how similar that song is to any song by Thin Lizzie.

Originally posted by @Ex-Trader

My son used to be a keeper in Norfolk looking after a grey partridge shoot.

His philosophy?

Anything that’s not a grey partridge dies.

He was bloody good at it too.

Modern city dwellers have no idea of what goes on in the English countryside and has done for hundreds of years - but it’s all completely necessary to maintain the status quo.

Until the twats in power banned fox hunting and now its gone to rat shit.

So ‘vespa’ is the Italian (and probably latin) for ‘wasp’? (second post, several weeks ago)

Wow, I never knew that.

Too many cats near me for any rodents to thrive. I came home one day last week and there was a frog on the back step, with next door’s cat looking puzzled about whether he could eat it or not. Frogs play dead in this situation so a few minutes later the cat got bored and wandered off and then the frog woke up and want back to his pond.

Many years ago I had a flat overlooking Reading’s Inner Distribution Road (not as glamourous as it sounds…). I came in to find the cat chasing a sparrow round the living room. I managed to get the cat out and, eventually, find the bird and get it out of the window. It perched on a lampost, still stunned, then flew across the road and got hit by a lorry.

I guess if it’s your time…

2 Likes

I think this sits here

Reading the article it seems well argued…but reading the comments afterwards throws the counter-argument into the mix.
Who is right. Is it possible for both of them to be right and both of them to be wrong?
Just confused now. :roll_eyes:

1 Like