OptiNews - Friday 22 to Thursday 28 December 2017

Sourced from Reuters.co.uk article

Southampton’s Bertrand, Soares out of Huddersfield clash

Show/hide article…

(Reuters) - Southampton defender Ryan Bertrand will miss the Premier League clash against Huddersfield Town with a hamstring injury sustained in last weekend’s 1-0 defeat by Chelsea, manager Mauricio Pellegrino said on Friday.

Bertrand’s defensive partner Cedric Soares is also out with a back injury after a collision with advertising boards behind the goal in the same game.

“Both are unavailable to play tomorrow and they are the only two players that are not ready,” Pellegrino told reporters. “Maybe Ryan will be back for the festive period, but Cedric maybe will need a little longer.”

Southampton are 12th in the table with 18 points and winless in five games as they approach a busy period with matches against Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United and Crystal Palace coming up after Huddersfield’s visit to St Mary’s Stadium.

“We have another three difficult games coming up in quick succession and we will need everyone to be fresh. We have a big enough squad to change players and still be competitive,” Pellegrino added.

Meanwhile, Huddersfield will include Chris Lowe in their squad after the defender returned to training from a foot injury. However, manager David Wagner said that striker Elias Kachunga could be out for up to 12 weeks with a knee ligament injury.

Go to the original article…

...consecutively produced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Mauricio Pellegrino unaware of any fresh approach for Virgil van Dijk

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino says transfer speculation surrounding Virgil van Dijk is out of his control but does not believe Southampton have received a recent approach for the defender.

Holland centre-back Van Dijk expressed his desire to leave St Mary’s last summer, handing in a transfer request amid links with Liverpool and Chelsea.

Question marks once again surround the future of the wantaway 26-year-old with the January transfer window poised to open.

Rumours were fuelled when Van Dijk was left on the bench for last weekend’s Premier League defeat at champions Chelsea but manager Pellegrino insists that was purely down to squad rotation.

Asked if Premier League leaders Manchester City had enquired about his star defender, Pellegrino replied: 'I don’t think so.

'This morning I was with Les (Reed, Southampton vice-chairman) talking about that but nobody knows about that.

'I know Virgil is an important player.

‘Around him there is a lot of speculation - like other players, because we’ve got important players in the squad - but I cannot control this and I don’t want to talk too much about that.’

Van Dijk was an unused substitute for the 1-0 loss at Stamford Bridge as Southampton’s winless run stretched to five Premier League games.

Saints, who sit three points above the drop zone, face an important home match with Huddersfield on Saturday ahead of a tricky run of quick-fire fixtures against Tottenham, Manchester United and Crystal Palace.

Pellegrino plans to rotate his squad during the busy festive period and hinted Van Dijk could be recalled for the Terriers game at St Mary’s.

'I will decide and confirm the team and Virgil is like everybody; he can be on the bench because I rotate all of them when you’ve got a lot of games in a row, like we did last week.

'And this week also we have another three games, (it is) difficult.

'I think we will need all of (the players) fresh and I think we’ve got enough of a squad to change some players.

‘Nothing more to talk about.’

When asked whether the incessant speculation would distract Van Dijk on the pitch, Pellegrino suggested it may actually improve his performances.

‘In the past, when I was a player, I didn’t have the same name that Virgil has in the press and the media but when you hear something that another club wants you, it increases your confidence, no?’.

...nauseatedly given rise to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

Not long to go now!

Check out our match preview ahead of #SaintsFC’s clash with #HTAFC: http://sfcne.ws/PreviewHTAFC

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 4

...literally moulded by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 22/12/2017 21:43:45

| | Report: Man City to battle Liverpool for Van DijkCNNSI |
| | Key defensive duo ruled out of Huddersfield clashREADSOUTHAMPTON |
|

| Southampton vs. Huddersfield: Preview and predictionsFANSIDEDSAINTSMARCHING |

...mortally prepared by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Mauricio in a Minute! :alarm_clock:

Watch our round-up from the #SaintsFC boss’ pre-#HTAFC press in :six::zero: seconds:

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 6

...personally fashioned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by MirrorFootball tweet

@MirrorFootball - Mirror Football

Man City and Liverpool target Van Dijk no longer guaranteed a place in Southampton’s starting XI, warns boss Pelleg… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/944336723911282688

Retweets: 4

Favourites: 5

...vibratingly caused to be by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 22/12/2017 23:22:21

| | Man City take tough Virgil van Dijk stanceMANEVNEWS |

...believingly prepared by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

LISTEN: Transfer Talk podcast previews the January transfer window

Show/hide article…

The first episode of our brand new Transfer Talk podcast is officially here!

Host Pete Graves was joined in studio by Sky Sports News reporters Dharmesh Sheth and Kaveh Solhekol to preview the upcoming January transfer window.

High on the agenda were the futures of Arsenal stars Alexis Sanchez, Mesut Ozil and Jack Wilshere, who will all be out of contract this summer.

Our panel discussed which of the three is most likely to sign a contract extension with the Gunners and which clubs they might join, should they decide to leave.

Click here to listen to the Transfer Talk podcast.

Manchester City’s interest in Southampton centre-half Virgil Van Dijk was also talked about.

Sky Sports News reporter Alan Myers joined the show to discuss another star with six months left on his contract - Everton’s Ross Barkley.

Myers revealed where he believes Barkley’s future lies and also mentioned a big-name striker Everton are interested in buying in January.

Jose Mourinho has big decisions to make at Manchester United with eight first-team players out of contract this summer, and our panel broke down the different factors he will be considering as he decides who to keep and who to let go.

A Germany international who is a target for United was also discussed.

Click here to listen and subscribe via iTunes.

Six Premier League clubs have sacked their managers already this season and our panel looked ahead to what each of those will be doing in January.

Sky Sports Midlands reporter Rob Dorsett joined the podcast to talk about potential incomings and outgoings at Leicester City, Stoke City and West Brom.

Guillem Balague, who will be a regular contributor to the podcast, also called in to talk about the futures of Antoine Griezmann, Philippe Coutinho and Thibaut Courtois.

If all that was not enough, comedian and Take Me Out host Paddy McGuinness also joined the podcast to tell the tale of the time his friend convinced him Rivaldo almost joined his beloved Bolton Wanderers.

...unyieldingly produced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Match Preview: Saints vs Huddersfield Town

Show/hide article…

THE MATCH

Southampton vs Huddersfield Town

Saturday 23rd December, 3pm GMT

St Mary’s

Premier League

WHAT’S AT STAKE?

Saints head into the game looking to get back on track after successive defeats to Leicester City and Chelsea in the Premier League. Those results mean they now sit in 12th place, three points behind their weekend opponents.

The Terriers meanwhile will be hoping to build on their 4-1 away success at Watford in their last outing.

TEAM NEWS

Southampton: Cédric will be out with an ankle problem that saw him replaced against Chelsea, while Ryan Bertrand is also out after an injury picked up against his former club.

Huddersfield: Elias Kachunga is expected to be out for 8-12 weeks after being stretchered off in their win over Watford. Chris Löwe could also return after being replaced at Vicarage Road with a foot injury, while Jonathan Hogg is suspended. Phillip Billing (ankle), Jon Gorenc Stankovic (knee) and Michael Hefele (Achilles) remain out.

FORM GUIDE

Southampton’s previous five:

Chelsea (a) L 1-0

Leicester City (h) L 4-1

Arsenal (h) D 1-1

AFC Bournemouth (a) D 1-1

Manchester City (a) L 2-1

Huddersfield’s previous five:

Watford (a) W 4-1

Chelsea (h) L 1-3

Brighton and Hove Albion (h) W 2-0

Everton (a) L 2-0

Arsenal (a) L 5-0

TOP PERFORMERS

Charlie Austin has had a hand in six goals in seven previous league appearances against the Terriers (four goals, two assists) and will be hoping to continue his fine form in front of goal.

Top scorers: Charlie Austin (5), Steven Davis (3), Manolo Gabbiadini (3), Dušan Tadić (2)

Most assists: Nathan Redmond (3), Ryan Bertrand (3), Dušan Tadić (2)

Aaron Mooy netted a brace in the 4-1 win over Watford and has been instrumental in the campaign so far, scoring or assisting 31% of Huddersfield’s goals. He has also created 26 chances, more than double of any of his teammates.

Elsewhere, forward Laurent Depoitre has scored two goals and provided an assist in his last two games.

Top scorers: Laurent Depoitre (4), Steve Mounie (4), Aaron Mooy (4)

Most assists: Collin Quaner (2), Christopher Schindler (1)

August 2017: Huddersfield 0-0 Southampton

December 2010: Southampton 4-1 Huddersfield

October 2010: Huddersfield 2-0 Southampton

March 2010: Southampton 5-0 Huddersfield

DID YOU KNOW?

Southampton have won 10 and lost none of their last 11 home league games against sides from Yorkshire, since losing 2-1 to Sheffield United in February 2009.

Saints have lost just one of their last 26 home Premier League games against newly promoted sides (W17 D8), losing 0-1 against Cardiff in April 2014.

NOT AT THE GAME?

Don’t worry if you can’t make it to St Mary’s! Our interactive match centre at southamptonfc.com will have all the build-up, as well as in-game updates and free live audio commentary.

Additionally, be sure to follow us on our various social channels for behind-the-scenes access and further updates:

...predictably built by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Let’s get back to winning ways together! :innocent:

:soccer: #SaintsFC vs #HTAFC
:trophy: @premierleague
:round_pushpin: St Mary’s
:clock3: 3pm GMT
:calling:https://twitter.com/i/web/status/944479178287484928

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 4

...flirtatiously prepared by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Pellegrino dismisses van Dijk transfer talk

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino has played down suggestions that Manchester City have opened formal talks with Saints over a January move for Virgil van Dijk.

Reports claimed that Pep Guardiola’s side were keen to capture the Dutchman when the window opens, and had started to talk about the possibility of getting the deal done with the Saints hierarchy.

However, Pellegrino confirmed he had discussed the matter with Saints vice chairman and football supremo Les Reed, who denied talks were taking place.

He said: “I don’t think so.

“This morning I was with Les talking about that but nobody knows about that.

“I know Virgil is an important player and around him will be a lot of speculation like other important players in the squad.

“I cannot control this and I don’t want to talk about it.

“We have an important game that we need to win, and have a good performance.”

There is sure to be intense speculation over van Dijk’s future in the coming weeks, but like the summer transfer window there is no chance of him leaving if nobody makes a sizeable offer.

Pellegrino was asked whether he feared the speculation would affect van Dijk, particularly given the player’s stance in the summer where he made clear his desire to leave and wasn’t available for selection as a result.

“In the past when I was a player I didn’t have the same name as Virgil in the media, but when you hear something that another club wants you it increases the confidence.

“I think it increases the confidence of the player.”

Van Dijk was left out for last week’s defeat to Chelsea, but is expected to be recalled for the crunch clash with Huddersfield this afternoon.

“I will decide after the team and Virgil is like everybody.

“He can be on the bench because I have to rotate all of them when you have a lot of games in a row like last week.

“This week also we have three difficult games.

“I think we will need all of them fresh and we have enough squad to change some players.

“There is nothing more to talk about.”

...crabbily given birth to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Saints suffer double injury blow

Show/hide article…

Ryan Bertrand and Cedric Soares have been ruled out of tomorrow’s game against Huddersfield.

The full backs were both forced off during the defeat at Chelsea and have failed to recover in time for the match at St Mary’s.

Bertrand has a chance of being fit for the Boxing Day game against Tottenham at Wembley, but Cedric faces a longer spell out.

Sam McQueen and Matt Targett are likely to vie for the left back spot, while Jeremy Pied and Jack Stephens provide options on the other side.

Saints boss Mauricio Pellegrino said: “We have got Ryan Bertrand and Cedric Soares from the other day during the Chelsea game. Both of them are not available to play.

“They are the only two players that are not ready.

“Cedric is his ankle in this action against the advertising board.

“Ryan in his hamstring is a little trouble.

“Maybe Ryan Bertrand yes (will be fit for Tottenham). Maybe Cedric will be a little bit longer.”

...patently sculpted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Need the key timings for #SaintsFC’s clash with #HTAFC in the #PL today? Consult our matchday guide:

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 2

...perfidiously thought-up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by FFTPerformance tweet

@FFTPerformance - FFT Performance

Scrambled eggs, Migos on blast and Dusan Tadic back slaps: @SouthamptonFC star @NathanRedmond22 talks us through hi… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/944501587665240064

Retweets: 4

Favourites: 11

...voyeuristically generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:earth_africa:

Where will you be following today’s meeting with #HTAFC from, #SaintsFC fans?

Favourites: 6

...prematurely given rise to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Press Conference (Part Two): Pellegrino on Terriers

Show/hide article…

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

...irreligiously caused to be by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Pellegrino confident in his squad

Show/hide article…

The defenders are missing with ankle and hamstring problems respectively, both of which were picked up at Chelsea last weekend, meaning the Saints boss will be forced to make changes in those positions for today’s game against the Terriers.

“We have to change a couple of players for Cédric and Ryan, but I feel we have got enough capacity to play well,” said Pellegrino.

"It’s a challenge for everybody. It’s good and bad news at the same time. It’s good for the players expecting to play, who are ready and working every single day, like Matt Targett or Jack [Stephens] – players who most of the games were outside and, ok, they will have the opportunity to play and to show why they are here.

"Cédric and Ryan are important players, internationals, they are used to being in the team 100 per cent of the minutes, but it’s an opportunity to show that everybody in this club is ready to compete.

“We need energy, we need capacity, we need all of it 100 per cent. Everybody has to be ready to help the club.”

...linguistically brought to pass by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

In-demand Van Dijk no longer guaranteed his Southampton place, warns boss

Show/hide article…

In-demand Virgil van Dijk is no longer a certainty to be in the Southampton starting XI, manager Mauricio Pellegrino has warned.

The £70million-rated Holland defender was dropped to the bench for last weekend’s 1-0 defeat at Chelsea.

And ahead of Saturday’s crunch clash at home to Huddersfield, Pellegrino said: “I don’t know somebody guaranteed to play.

“We have won games, lost or drawn with all different players. We don’t depend just on one player. Virgil was outside the other day because I picked the team for this game.”

City chief Pep Guardiola is planning a January swoop for Van Dijk, who also remains on Liverpool’s wish-list after he ­issued a transfer request in the summer to try and force through a move to Anfield.

Pellegrino added: “Virgil is an important player. There will be a lot of speculation around him.

“When you hear that other clubs want you, it increases ­confidence. Hopefully, it will make him a better player. I can’t control the market or the ­information from outside.”

Saints are only three points above the relegation zone after a dismal run of one win in nine games and ­Pellegrino admits they have underachieved.

The Argentine, appointed in the summer after Claude Puel was sacked despite finishing eighth and taking Southampton to a cup final in his only season, said: “We are in a position nobody expected to be in.

“But I am very ­confident in my ­players to change the situation.”

...humorously concocted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Don’t forget, you can take advantage of up to 50% off in #SaintsFC Stores’ Winter Sale today!… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/944523479570825216

Favourites: 5

...mirthfully fashioned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 23/12/2017 11:25:57

| | Southampton v Huddersfield Town: Wagner has Hoyle’s backing to keep Terriers’ squad intactYORKSHIREPOST |
|

| Liverpool FC target 22-year-old Swiss defender as Virgil van Dijk alternative - reportSPORTREVIEWCOM |
| | Guardiola demands signing of Chelsea’s £60m-rated targetMEDIAREFEREE |
| | It’s Match Day: Southampton (Away) (League)BARMYARMY |
| | Go For It Guardiola – This £60million Chelsea Target Would Make Manchester City Unstoppable – SoccerSoulsSOCCERSOULS |
| | Liverpool plotting move to sign 22-year-old defenderMEDIAREFEREE |

...soggily instantiated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!