OptiNews - Friday 16 to Thursday 22 March 2018

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

54: Substitute Will Smallbone forces a smart save from Max Bramley, but still no breakthrough for #SaintsFCU23s! (0… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/974741293745127424

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 3

...ungratefully shaped by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

GOAL: #SaintsFCU23s 0-3 #LCFC U23s (Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall 59)

Leicester add a third, with Dewsbury-Hall finding th… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/974742815392415744

Favourites: 5

...boastfully pieced together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Mark Hughes is a good appointment - here’s how he can keep Southampton up

Show/hide article…

To his critics, Mark Hughes is lucky to land the Southampton job and, if they go down with Stoke, his fingerprints will be on two clubs relegated in one season.

But if you look at the facts instead of the propaganda, Saints have chosen wisely. If anyone can keep them up, Hughes can.

Cards on the table: I’m biased ­because I looked up to him when he was a player, I signed for Blackburn because he was the manager, and, yes, I regard him as a mate now.

I expect some people will say Hughes should have been included when my column, two months ago, lamented the same old faces who keep landing plum jobs and keep the managerial merry-go-round moving in a circle of mediocrity. Jobs for the boys, I called it.

And it is true that Southampton are the sixth club Sparky has managed at this level after Blackburn, Fulham, Manchester City, QPR and Stoke – only Sam Allardyce (seven) has taken charge of more clubs in the top flight.

If you look at three telling statistics in Saints’ season, Hughes might be just what they need.

In terms of distance covered as a team, they are 11th in the table, so they are working hard enough. In terms of tackles made, they are fifth highest in the division, so they are ­getting stuck in. And in terms of goalscoring opportunities, they have ­created more chances this season than anyone outside the top six.

The missing ingredients must be motivation and belief – and I’d say Hughes, with a point to prove, is the man to provide them.

Let’s not pull any punches, Southampton’s run-in looks fiendishly ­difficult on paper, starting with a massive relegation battle at West Ham on March 31. But only five men – Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, ­Allardyce, Harry Redknapp and David Moyes – have taken charge of more Premier League games than Hughes.

And over his 444 games between 2004-17, Hughes has banked an average of 1.32 points per game. If he replicates that over the last eight matches with Saints, they will finish on 38 points – enough to keep them up.

One other important stat is that he has never finished a season in the ­bottom three as a manager: 15th, 6th, 10th, 7th, 10th, 8th, 17th, 9th, 9th, 9th and 13th to date.

He’s also done the rescue act before, taking over QPR when they were drowning seven years ago and making it to dry land on a day more famous for Sergio Aguero’s title-winning goal in the 94th minute. Admittedly, I was surprised that Stoke leaked so many goals under his supervision this season, which was the prime reason he was stood down at the bet365.

Although Paul Lambert has done a good job to shore them up at the back, their position in the Premier League table has not improved.

Some Stoke fans were desperate to get Hughes out, but where are they now? The points-per-game ratio has improved slightly, but they have played Huddersfield, Watford, Brighton and Southampton in the last six weeks and beaten only one of them. I saw the game against Manchester City the other night and the only ‘shot’ Stoke had on target came from one of their ­opponents, Kyle Walker.

The last couple of months at Stoke apart, I would argue the only blot on Hughes’s record was the poor start which cost him his job at QPR in 2012, so I hope Southampton fans don’t fall into the trap of accepting prejudice as fact.

He is a former Saints player who knows the club and I honestly believe there is enough quality in the squad he has inherited to survive.

Hughes will keep training sessions intense, put an accent on sharp fitness levels, and keep the mood light. ­Training at Southampton’s Staplewood complex will be fun.

For starters, he has an FA Cup ­quarter-final at Wigan to negotiate. I hope he goes for it – a few days ago he would have been sitting at home wondering if the phone would ring, now he is 90 minutes away from a Wembley semi-final.

It could be just the shot in the arm everyone at the south coast club needs.

There will be keyboard warriors and ex-players hammering Hughes’s appointment and, yes, this could be his last big job at Premier League level.

But who else out there is better equipped to put a bit of fire in their belly and win the 10 points required to stay up?

I might be a bit biased but I think Hughes will keep Southampton up.

And if he does, after accepting a possible hospital pass so late in the season, with huge games coming up at West Ham and Swansea, a last-day date with Manchester City, and no transfer window to bring in players, it will be one of his best achievements in football.

Go to the original article…

...murmuringly given rise to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Mark Hughes says Southampton job is about ‘the here and now’

Show/hide article…

Mark Hughes says Southampton job is about ‘the here and now’

Mark Hughes is relaxed about having a contract with Southampton until the end of the season, but has hinted that he would like to stay for the long-term.

Hughes, who made 60 appearances for the club, replaced Mauricio Pellegrino on Wednesday and has been tasked with keeping the club in the Premier League.

Speaking ahead of this weekend’s FA Cup quarter-final at Wigan, the 54-year-old, who was dismissed by Stoke in January, said he was attracted by the club’s potential.

“It was a decision that I felt I wanted to take in terms of being a positive one,” he said. "This club clearly has changed beyond all recognition to when I was first here as a player.

"From my point of view it was important that when I did come back in, it was at a club that I felt I could move forward.

"Obviously this is a little bit different from normal circumstances. It is a short contract and from everybody’s point of view here, and for myself and my staff, it allows us to focus on the job in hand.

“We have just got to make sure we use every minute of every day that we’re here to make sure that we get the right results that the team and the club need in these circumstances.”

Hughes was also pressed on whether he would like to stay beyond the summer.

He said: "I’d like to think that if we do the job here and we fulfil our remit then maybe there would be discussions about that, but that’s not any pressure I am trying to put on anyone else.

"I just think that will be a consequence of whether or not we’re successful in this short period so I’m not concentrating on that.

“It’s just about the here and now and getting on with the job in hand.”

Southampton are just one point above the relegation zone with eight matches left, and Hughes says all the players are starting with a clean slate.

He added: "I think when players see a change in management then maybe any disappointment they’ve felt or any grievances they’ve had with previous incumbents of the job, maybe that lightens the load in terms of their frustrations.

“When a new manager comes in then clearly I’m sure players do react in a certain way and maybe they feel their options are better once the change has been made.”

...dauntlessly caused to be by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 16/03/2018 20:46:46

|

| Game against Southampton rescheduledARSENAL |
| | PAY ON THE DAY AVAILABLE FOR LATICS’ EMIRATES FA CUP CLASH WITH SOUTHAMPTONWIGANATHLETICAFC |
| | JETCOIN PARTNERSHIP TO RETURN FOR EMIRATES FA CUP QUARTER FINAL WITH SOUTHAMPTONWIGANATHLETICAFC |
| | Wigan Athletic vs. Southampton - Football Match Preview - March 18, 2018 - ESPNESPNCOUK |
| | New Saints boss Mark Hughes issues challenge to playersTEAMTALK |

...insubstantially forged by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Nitwik Football

New content from (- Nitwik Football)

| TESTING TITLE TWO | asdsad 16-03-2018 |

Older content…

| Jose Mourinho pre-Brighton & Hove press conference20 hours ago |
| Mutu reveals why Zlatan hasn’t featured for Manchester United20 hours ago |
| Son Heung-min might miss start of next season2 days ago |
| Major update on Antonio Conte’s future at Chelsea2 days ago |
| Brazilian star to join Manchester City or United2 days ago |
| Barcelona agree €39M deal to sign midfielder5 days ago |
| Eric Bailly own goal v Liverpool6 days ago |
| Rashford vs Liverpool6 days ago |
| The official anthem for the FIFA World Cup is out!7 days ago |

...urbanely generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from The Independent article

Mark Hughes tells Southampton stars to rise to survival challenge

Show/hide article…

Mark Hughes has begun his reign as Southampton manager by demanding his under-achieving players raise their standards to the level needed to escape relegation.

The Welshman, 54, has been appointed until the end of the season to replace the sacked Mauricio Pellegrino and been tasked with preserving the club’s Premier League status and winning the FA Cup.

Hughes had been out of work for only 67 days following his dismissal by struggling Stoke, who remain two places below Southampton in 19th.

On Sunday he oversees his first fixture in the FA Cup quarter-final at Wigan, but after that he will only have eight matches in the league to secure survival.

That run includes games against Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City, and Hughes said: "Sometimes you have to step on people’s toes and we are in that situation.

"When you’ve got the luxury of a little bit more time you can build relationships and that takes time.

"We’ve got no time to wait. We have eight weeks and we have to get on with it. If we upset people along the way they will have to accept it.

"It’s about the end game and making sure we are successful when we look back on this period.

"There’s a willingness in the two days we have been here, a real energy to the club which I’ve liked and everybody is pushing in the right direction, but we have to keep that going by winning football matches and that is the hard bit.

"I work in a certain way and with certain levels of training intensity I am looking for. I have seen that in the last two days: the levels that I demand I have seen.

"It’s fair to say the feedback from people in and around the club is that maybe that intensity hasn’t been there before but for me it’s the norm because that’s the level I work at.

"Maybe that can help the guys given the games we have got ahead of us.

"The quality we have here: we have a good group, good players technically, and with only a few omissions we have a healthy squad which will be important for us from now until the end of the season.

“We are looking solely to the end of the season and we want to be a Premier League club and win the FA Cup.”

Southampton are on a run of only one win in their last 17 Premier League games, and they remain without the injured Charlie Austin and Steven Davis.

Hughes said: "I have always used cup runs as a real positive. They can help your form.

"If you are struggling and you have a good result and you progress, you have that to look forward to and that confidence can lead into your league form as well.

“I don’t see a game against Wigan in a quarter-final as a hindrance. I see it as a real positive and one we can use to good effect.”

...mellowly shaped by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Butterfield: “You can sense the determination”

Show/hide article…

The snow had disrupted the Under-18s league schedule, but Butterfield is sure his youngsters remain focussed in the lead up to their final five games of the campaign.

Staplewood Campus is set to host Reading tomorrow morning, with the chance of closing the gap on Arsenal, as Saints go in pursuit of a top two league finish.

“One or two of the boys have returned to fitness, but we’ve still got long-term injuries,” Butterfield commented. "There is still that air of competitiveness for places, and the lads have had a break, so we’ll find out whether or not that’ll be a positive.

"The momentum of playing week in week out was great for our form, but let’s hope we can pick up where we left off against Reading.

"We want to see consistency, we’ve had our fixtures disturbed by the snow, so it’s up to the boys to refocus. Individually the boys have progressed hugely, and as a team we’ve had a successful league campaign.

"You can sense the determination among the boys to finish positively. They want to keep pushing.

“They believe that they can pinch second place, or even push Chelsea all the way. We want to breed a winning mentality, and for the boys to take that in to the rest of their careers.”

...tiredly erected by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 16/03/2018 21:47:00

|

| Arsenal’s match with Southampton rescheduled | Arseblog News - the Arsenal news siteARSEBLOG |
| | Hughes urges Southampton players to raise gameFRANCE24 |
| | Arsenal vs Southampton date changed as Gunners set for Russian tripFOOTBALLLONDON |

...ambitiously produced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Here are the Southampton players Mark Hughes previously tried signing for Stoke | Mark Hughes had more than one reason to accept the Southampton job. Partly for the excitement at being back in the … 16-03-2018 |

Older content…

| Saints rumoured to be interested in Paris forward21 hours ago |
| Hughes discusses whether or not he will stay at Saints beyond this season21 hours ago |
| Reflect on the last time Southampton took the trip to Wigan21 hours ago |
| Saints forward set for return to action21 hours ago |
| England call up, Hughes reaction and more: Southampton news round-up21 hours ago |
| Quiz - How well do you know new Southampton boss Mark Hughes?2 days ago |
| Chris Sutton highlights what Southampton’s board have done wrong this season2 days ago |
| Mark Hughes makes promise to Southampton fans2 days ago |
| Four reasons why Mark Hughes will lead Saints to survival2 days ago |

...fanatically generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:movie_camera:

@RadhijaidiOff gives his thoughts after #SaintsFCU23s exited the #PLCup:

Favourites: 4

...unprotectedly hatched by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Wigan boss Paul Cook: We’ve got our hands full on Sunday

Show/hide article…

WIGAN Athletic manager Paul Cook admits his side will have their ‘hands full’ when they take on Mark Hughes’ Saints on Sunday.

Cook, speaking after his side’s dramatic 1-0 win at Bradford City on Wednesday night, he said: “Onto the cup game now, I told you all we wanted to be in the quarter final didn’t I?

“All jokes aside, they’ve just appointed Mark Hughes as their manager, a fantastic manager for a fantastic club and team.

“We’ve got our hands full. It’s going to be a great game and another great occasion in the FA Cup.

“It’ll be a great day for everyone to come and watch us, and you never know, we could end up getting to Wembley.”

Wigan’s injury-time winner at Valley Parade, scored by Michael Jacobs, means Cook’s side is back in the League One’s top two, five points off leaders Blackburn – with three games in hand.

They welcome Saints on the back of a five-match unbeaten run that began with their sensational 1-0 win against Manchester City in the fifth round, having also knocked out AFC Bournemouth and West Ham United.

Former Pompey boss Cook made three changes to the team that drew 3-3 at home to Scunthorpe last Saturday with 18-goal Will Grigg making way for former Everton striker James Vaughan before playing his part in the winner as a 58th-minute substitute.

“What a way to win it,” a euphoric Cook told wiganathletic.com. “I thought we were excellent – I really did.

...unconsolably coined by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Wigan vs Southampton: FA Cup team news, kick-off time, line-ups

Show/hide article…

Ahead of the FA Cup quarter-finals action, Sportsmail will be providing you with team news, betting odds and Opta stats. Here is all you need to know as Wigan go up against Southampton.

Wigan’s Nick Powell has been ruled out after limping off in the midweek victory at Bradford with a recurrence of a hamstring injury. Devante Cole, James Vaughan and Donervon Daniels are all cup-tied.

Will Grigg, the competition’s leading scorer with seven goals already, including the winner against City in the last round, is available to lead the line.

Southampton remain without the injured Charlie Austin and Steven Davis for Sunday’s FA Cup quarter-final at Wigan.

They will miss new manager Mark Hughes’ first match in charge due to hamstring injuries.

Hughes has spoken of the need to get his new team scoring goals regularly, so is expected to consider recalling forward Manolo Gabbiadini.

This is only the fourth ever meeting between Wigan and Southampton and the second in the FA Cup – the Saints won 3-0 in a fourth round match in January 1986, with current Wigan boss Paul Cook playing for Wigan that day.

Southampton are playing in their first FA Cup quarter-final since 2004/05, when they lost to Manchester United. They reached the final the last time they progressed beyond the quarter-final stage, doing so in 2002/03.

The Latics have already eliminated three top-flight teams this season (Bournemouth, West Ham and Man City) – the last team from outside the top-flight to eliminate four in a season were West Ham in 1979/80, with the Hammers winning the FA Cup that year.

Saints have progressed from 18 of their last 19 FA Cup ties against sides from a lower division – their only defeat in that run was against Bristol Rovers in February 2008.

Wigan have reached the FA Cup quarter-final three times previously and progressed twice, eliminating Premier League teams both times (Everton in 2012/13 and Man City in 2013/14).

Will Grigg has scored more goals than any other player in the FA Cup this season (7), including four goals against Premier League opposition.

Since they were relegated from the Premier League in 2012/13, Wigan have won six FA Cup ties against Premier League opposition, double the total of any other non-Premier League side in that time.

Indeed, those six Wigan eliminations of Premier League opposition make up 22% (6 of 27) of the total wins by non-Premier League sides against Premier League opposition since the 2013/14 season.

...safely put together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Saints’ trip to Arsenal gets another new date

Show/hide article…

Saints’ game at Arsenal has moved dates – again.

The match was switched to Monday, April 9, at 8pm to be televised by Sky. The game could not take place on the original date on Saturday due to Arsenal’s progress in the Europa League.

However, as the Gunners now face a taxing trip to Russia for the second leg on the Thursday after, the Saints game has been moved again, this time to Sunday, April 8, with a 2.15pm kick-off.

...stickily cobbled together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

BIG INTERVIEW: Hughes speaks for the first time as Saints boss

Show/hide article…

MARK Hughes has spoken for the first time since he replaced Mauricio Pellegrino as manager of Saints this week.

In his first press conference he talked very directly about his task at St Mary’s and admitted he isn’t scared to ‘step on people’s toes’ and ‘upset people’ to keep the club in the Premier League.

The 54-year-old also revealed he had been encouraged by what he’s seen on the training ground at Staplewood in his first two sessions at Staplewood.

Here is the first part of the transcript from his conference which will be followed by the second tomorrow…

Mark, was it an easy decision to return to Saints?

"It was a decision that I felt I wanted to take in terms of being a positive one.

"This is a club I know and clearly it has changed beyond all recognition in comparison to when I was first here as a player.

"From my point of view it was important that when I did come back in it was at a club I felt it could move forward.

"This is different to normal circumstances. It is a short contract and for me and from myself and my staff that allows us to focus on the job in hand.

“We have to use every minute of every day that we are here to make sure we get the right results that the team and the club needs.”

Target has to be a quick impact. Does that mean you have to change your management style at all?

"When you’ve got the luxury of a little bit more time you can build relationships and that takes time.

"Sometimes you have to step on people’s toes and we are probably in that situation.

"We got no time to wait. We have eight weeks and we have to get on with it. If we upset people along the way they will have to accept it.

"It’s about the end game and making sure we are successful when we look back on this period.

“There’s a willingness in the two days we have been here, a real energy to the club which I’ve liked and everybody is pushing in the right direction but we have to keep that going by winning football matches, and that is the hard bit.”

You’ve signed a short-term contract, but could you see yourself staying beyond this season if things go well?

"I would like to think we will do the job here and fulfil our remit then maybe there would be discussions about it.

"That is not pressure I am trying to put on anybody else but it would be the consequence of whether we are successful in this short period.

“I am not concentrating on that, it’s about the here and now and getting on with the job in hand.”

What do make of the situation the club find themselves in?

"It’s difficult. The Premier League is difficult and tests you almost every week.

"Different tests, different opposition and different qualities of players you have to the answers for when you go up against them.

"I have been working with the group for two days now and I am encouraged by what I’ve seen in terms of their quality and their application.

"They have been first class and that encourages me as a manager and a coach.

"I know we have the talent to get the job done and that is encouraging.

"Sometimes when you walk into a club, given the circumstances we find ourselves in, you are worried about what you are stepping into.

“Very early on I have understood we have a good group that need maybe a little bit more direction and detail to their work and then we will be fine.”

Are the signs positive from what you’ve seen of the squad so far?

"It’s the impression I have got. I work in a certain way and with certain levels of training intensity I am looking for.

"I have seen that in the last two days, the levels that I demand I have seen.

"It’s fair to say the feedback from people in and around the club is that maybe that intensity hasn’t been there before but for me it’s the norm because that’s the level I work.

“Maybe that can help the guys given in the games we have got ahead of us.”

Can you talk about your experience as a Premier League manager?

"I have been in the Premier League for a long time now.

"I have garnered quite an amount of Premier League points as well so clearly when the circumstances are right and you have the tools to do the job I can win Premier League games.

“I feel the quality we have here, we have a good group, good players technically, and with only a few omissions we have a healthy squad which will be important for us from now until the end of the season.”

How important is it to getting the goals flowing at the right end?

"I would like to think I have an insight into how you can improve forward play.

"We have good quality players here who have decent records in terms of their playing career scoring wise.

"We have got to bring out the best elements of their play, the most effective elements of their attacking play, and make sure the team as a whole benefits from good creativity and movement in the final third and the team itself understands when the ball comes in and we are attacking that we have to have certain numbers and to get into good areas.

"These are fundamentals from my point of view and that is the focus leading into the first game at the weekend.

“We need to create chances. We are in a situation we need to win games and draws and clearly losses are not going to be enough.”

Is the FA Cup a priority considering the situation in the league?

"We are not going to demean the competition by not focussing on the FA Cup.

"It’s a competition that has been good to me during my career. I was fortunate to win it on quite a few occasions and it figured highly for me in my playing career and I have a great deal of affection and emotion for it.

"I would never demean the competition by not focussing as strongly as we need to.

"We are up against a good team, Wigan are playing well, playing with confidence and I’m sure they will fancy their chances.

“They have beaten three Premier League teams and we have to make sure it isn’t a fourth one.”

How does this challenge at Saints compare to the other challenges you’ve faced in your career?

"Every club and situation is different but it’s making sure at the end of my stay here we are as successful in that period for however long it is.

“We are looking solely to the end of the season and we want to be a Premier League club and win the FA Cup.”

Is your arrival a clean slate for some of those players who haven’t been involved?

"There’s an argument for that.

"Players when they see a change in management, maybe any disappointment they have felt or any grievances they had with previous incumbents, it lightens their load so to speak from their frustrations.

"When a new manager comes in, and I have been through the process as myself as a player, they react a certain way and maybe they feel their options are better once the change has been made.

"I can only go on what I have seen from afar.

"I have been an opposition manager against good Southampton teams in the past and I know a great deal about the players I have come in to work with.

"The key is that if you perform well you keep the shirt but the level is really high.

“We are playing in the hardest league in the world and the standard needs to be high to keep in the team.”

How important will the fans be in this period?

"We are going to take over 4,000 to Wigan which is a huge effort and we need to give them something to grab onto and grasp.

"It’s been a difficult period for everybody connected with Southampton and fans are paramount in that.

"Whenever we get in this situation as football people there is a little bit of negativity that needs to be dissipated.

“If we can do that at the weekend hopefully everybody can get on board and be in a positive frame of mind going forward because clearly we need everybody.”

What is the injury situation and how important can Charlie Austin be for you?

"Speaking with Charlie the last two days he is really encouraged by how it’s going.

"He won’t be involved this weekend and the international break is coming up and we feel we have a chance to integrate him for short periods next week and we could get game time with him on the grass with him and if we can do that we can speed up his progress.

“I don’t want to put too much pressure on Charlie and his situation but if we can get him ready for West Ham then clearly it’s a massive positive for us.”

What have you found in this first few days working with the players?

"Everybody works in a different way and there’s no right or wrong way. The only right way is to win football matches.

"I work a certain way and I like a certain level on a daily basis and I’ve seen that and I can only judge them on what I’ve seen in the two days I’ve been with them and I’ve been pleased with that.

"When you walk into a club you are apprehensive as to what you will find – are they disenfranchised, are they fragmented as a group, are their levels too low that you don’t have the time to bring them up? I haven’t found that which is encouraging.

“I have got a good group, a willing group that is ready to work to make sure we are successful from until the end of the season.”

...exactingly synergised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 16/03/2018 22:47:14

| | Saints rumoured to be interested in Paris forwardREADSOUTHAMPTON |
| | Hughes eager to leave his mark at SaintsSPORTSMOLE |
| | Hughes discusses whether or not he will stay at Saints beyond this seasonREADSOUTHAMPTON |
|

| Southampton and Stoke monitoring 17-year-old forward, ‘appreciated’ what they sawSPORTWITNESS |

...acerbically brought into being by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#SaintsFCU18s coach Danny Butterfield previews tomorrow’s #U18PL clash with #ReadingFC: http://sfcne.ws/U18Preview

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 0

...consolingly made by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Le Tissier backs his Great Escape teammate to keep Saints up

Show/hide article…

MATT Le Tissier is backing Mark Hughes, his former Saints teammate, to keep the club in the Premier League – 19 years after they helped pull off the Great Escape.

Le Tissier’s heroics in the 2-0 win against Wimbledon at Selhurst Park on the penultimate day of the 1998-99 season – when he came off the bench to inspire a 2-0 win in front of 12,000 away fans – kept Saints in the Premier League for another season.

Now Le Tissier is backing Hughes, who played the last 12 matches of that season, to oversee another survival story.

He told Radio Solent: “The situation we’re in at the moment doesn’t call for someone without any Premier League experience.

“With over 400 games, Mark’s got plenty of that. Hopefully he can fire up the players more than appeared to be the case at Newcastle last week.

“Clubs have sacked managers later in the season than this - Lawrie Sanchez came in [at Fulham] with four to go and saved them [in 2007].

“But it’s going to be tough. With five away games, three at home and five or six against teams in the top half, it’s certainly not an easy run-in.

“But there aren’t games we aren’t capable of picking up points from and hopefully we can get enough to stay up.”

Le Tissier added: “I think it’s a pretty good appointment. Mark fits in with the club’s way of thinking.

“I don’t think he’s been down this end of the table too many times in his career. Obviously, he wasn’t having a great season at Stoke this year.

“But as far as I can remember it was the first time he had a team really struggling against relegation.

“He’s managed some big teams and was a fantastic player himself, I played with him for a couple of seasons.

“He’s got knowledge of the club, even it was a different stadium back then, but we keep our fingers crossed he can keep us up this season first and foremost and then kick on again next season.”

...flounderingly fitted together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

PL Cup: Saints vs Leicester

Show/hide article…

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

...beatifically given rise to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 16/03/2018 23:47:28

| | Willingness to extend Newcastle deal would be good news for fans | | Where football transfer rumours fly or die!THETRANSFERTAVERN |
| | FOUR IN FOCUS: SOUTHAMPTON FCWIGANATHLETICAFC |
| | Reflect on the last time Southampton took the trip to WiganREADSOUTHAMPTON |
| | Report discloses the price Newcastle seek to sanction 26-year-old’s exit | | Where football transfer rumours fly or die!THETRANSFERTAVERN |
| | Southampton must re-sign £22.5m-rated midfielder if they avoid relegation this season | | Where football transfer …THETRANSFERTAVERN |

...reinforcingly created by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!