OptiNews - Friday 16 to Thursday 22 March 2018

Sourced from BBC article

FA Cup quarter-finals: How to follow all the action on

Show/hide article…

The FA Cup reaches the quarter-final stage this weekend and you can follow all the action on BBC Sport.

League One Wigan host Southampton (Sunday, 13:30 GMT) while Leicester face Chelsea (Sunday, 16:30) with both games on BBC One.

You can also watch every goal on BBC Sport’s website and app, as well as a highlights shows on BBC One on Saturday (23:20).

BBC Radio 5 live will provide commentary of all four ties.

The other two games are Swansea at home to Tottenham (Saturday, 12:15) while Brighton are at Manchester United (Saturday, 19:45).

Mark Chapman will present the BBC One coverage from the DW Stadium as Wigan go in search of a fourth Premier League scalp having already beaten Bournemouth, West Ham and Manchester City.

Gary Lineker will present the BBC One coverage from Leicester.

The draw for the FA Cup semi-final will take be live on BBC One following Leicester’s game with Chelsea.

It will be conducted by Gianfranco Zola, who won the FA Cup with Chelsea in 1997 and 2000, and Petr Cech, the Arsenal goalkeeper with five winners’ medals to his name.

The highlights show on Saturday will be presented by Dan Walker who will be joined by three-time FA Cup winner Martin Keown and former Manchester City keeper Shay Given.

There will be live commentary of all four quarter-finals on BBC Radio 5 live, while there will be live text updates on the BBC Sport website.

Go to the original article…

...daffily generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:calendar:

#SaintsFC’s trip to face #Arsenal will now take place on Sunday 8th April (2:15pm BST). Full details: http://sfcne.ws/ArsenalMoved

Retweets: 3

Favourites: 11

...crossingly given birth to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Missed #SaintsFC boss Mark Hughes’s first press conference?

Catch up on the key points with our :six::zero:-second roun… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/974703377073385473

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 7

...finickingly conceived by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 16/03/2018 17:46:07

| | It’s Cup Time Again For Wigan Athletic, Saints Or Sinner?VITALFOOTBALL |
| | Phil Thompson predicts Southampton to get relegated | SportslensSPORTSLENS |
| | THESACKRACE |

...conscientiously given birth to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Austin targeting West Ham return

Show/hide article…

Skipper Davis has not played for five weeks, while Austin has been sidelined since December with a hamstring injury.

But the new boss is hopeful the striker could play some part in Saints’ next Premier League outing at West Ham on March 31st.

“We’ve been speaking to Charlie over the last two days and he’s really encouraged by how it’s going,” said Hughes of Austin’s recovery.

“He’s not going to be involved this weekend, but we feel we’ve got a chance of integrating him for short periods next week. If we can do that, we can speed up his progress.

“With a bit of luck, if we can get him ready for West Ham that’s a massive positive.”

Hughes believes his appointment offers hope to those players who have not enjoyed as much game time as they would have liked of late.

“When players see a change in management, it maybe lightens the load on their frustration and any disappointment they’ve felt,” he explained.

“I’ve been through that process myself as a player and I’m sure they react in a certain way, and maybe feel their options are better after a change is made.

“I can only go on what I’ve seen from afar. I know a great deal about the players I’ve come here to work with.

“The key is if you perform well, you keep the shirt. We’re playing in the hardest league in world football and the standards need to be high to stay in the team.”

...carefully pieced together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 16/03/2018 18:46:20

| | TRAVEL INFORMATION AHEAD OF LATICS’ EMIRATES FA CUP QUARTER-FINAL WITH SOUTHAMPTON ON SUNDAYWIGANATHLETICAFC |

...evocatively generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Hughes discusses whether or not he will stay at Saints beyond this season | Mark Hughes signed a contract to become Southampton’s first-team manager on Wednesday but has admitted that he’d be … 16-03-2018 |
| Reflect on the last time Southampton took the trip to Wigan | Southampton travel to Wigan this weekend in what will be Mark Hughes’ first game in charge of the Saints. Hughes and … 16-03-2018 |

Older content…

| Saints forward set for return to action18 hours ago |
| England call up, Hughes reaction and more: Southampton news round-up18 hours ago |
| Quiz - How well do you know new Southampton boss Mark Hughes?2 days ago |
| Chris Sutton highlights what Southampton’s board have done wrong this season2 days ago |
| Mark Hughes makes promise to Southampton fans2 days ago |
| Four reasons why Mark Hughes will lead Saints to survival2 days ago |
| Saints defender named in England squad2 days ago |
| Southampton defender expecting to leave and Stoke interest in Saints shot-stopper, and more: Southampton news round-up2 days ago |

...shiftingly whittled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

Wigan Athletic v Southampton

Show/hide article…

Wigan’s Nick Powell has been ruled out after limping off in the midweek victory at Bradford with a recurrence of a hamstring injury.

Devante Cole, James Vaughan and Donervon Daniels are all cup-tied.

Southampton remain without Charlie Austin and Steven Davis as the pair continue to recover from hamstring issues.

Maya Yoshida may return to the squad after missing the last seven weeks with a knee injury.

Steve Wilson: "I have no doubt at all that Wigan boss Paul Cook is cursing his luck that Southampton sacked Mauricio Pellegrino just before this FA Cup quarter-final.

"If Southampton played at Wigan with the same lack of courage they showed at Newcastle I’m fairly sure Cook would have strongly fancied his side to bridge the supposed gap in quality - now it’s all changed.

"Mark Hughes is as hard as nails - he was as a player, and he is as a manager. In the short time he has had with Southampton’s underachieving squad he will have made it very clear that the time for messing about has gone.

“If the players’ response is to get that sloppiness out of their game immediately, Southampton should have enough to reach their first FA Cup semi-final since 2003.”

Wigan manager Paul Cook: "In our dressing room we’re fully aware what we’re about to engage with. We’ve had a great cup run. The Bournemouth home game, the draw at Bournemouth was fantastic, the West Ham game was a great game for us, the Man City game purely on the result takes all the limelight.

“And now we go into a game on Sunday where people are actually saying to us it’s a 50-50 game. And as a manager, and a football fan for a long time, I don’t see it as a 50-50 game. I’d love to tell everyone I do, but I don’t see it as that at all.”

Southampton manager Mark Hughes: "We’ve been working for two days and I’ve been encouraged by what I’ve seen. I know we’ve got the talent here to get the job done.

"I’ve been in the Premier League a long time and won a lot of points. We’re looking short term for now and that allows us to focus on the job at hand.

“There’s a real energy to the club, which I like. We’re all pushing in the right direction and we need to confirm that by winning football matches.”

As well as Wigan have done to reach this stage, I think this is where their FA Cup adventure ends this season.

That is not all bad news because it means they can turn their attention to getting promotion out of League One, because before they beat Bradford with a late goal on Wednesday, their form had just started to dip a bit.

...ruefully instituted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Saints contract pleases Hughes

Show/hide article…

New manager Mark Hughes says his deal to stay at Southampton until the end of the season will allow him to get on with the job in hand.

...emphatically instigated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

GOAL: #SaintsFCU23s 0-1 #LCFC U23s (Josh Gordon 11)

The visitors edge in front as Gordon squeezes his header home.

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 4

...lousily engineered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Mark Hughes not afraid to upset Southampton stars to secure safety

Show/hide article…

Mark Hughes has warned Southampton’s struggling stars that he is not afraid to upset anyone or step on any toes in their bid to avoid dropping down to the Championship.

Hughes, who has singed a short-term deal which will expire at the end of the season, has spent two days with the squad and demanded they up their intensity in training.

Southampton are hovering above the bottom three in the Premier League and Hughes had strong words for his new players at his first press conference on Friday.

‘When you’ve got the luxury of a bit more time, you build relationships,’ Hughes said. 'That takes time. Sometimes you have to step on people’s toes. We’re probably in that situation.

'We’ve got no time to wait if I’m honest. We’ve got eight weeks. We’ve got to get on with it. If we upset people along the way then people will just have to accept it.

'It’s about the end game from our point of view. It’s about making sure we are successful when we look back on this period. I think there is a willingness.

‘There has been a real energy to the club which I’ve liked. And everybody is pushing in the right direction but we’ve got to keep that going by winning football matches.’

First up for Sparky and Southampton is a trip to Wigan in the FA Cup quarter-final on Sunday.

Hughes sees it as a helpful distraction. ‘I’ve always used cup runs as a real positive,’ he said. 'They can help your form if you’re struggling for a bit of form.

‘That confidence can bleed into your league form as well. I don’t see a game against Wigan in a quarterfinal as a hindrance. I see it as a real positive, one that I can use to good affect.’

...genteelly modelled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

20: #SaintsFC’s youngsters search for a route back in to the game, as @Callumslattery8’s delivery is met by… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/974728859202420737

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 2

...unassumingly originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Will Grigg gets his own ‘hot and fiery’ pie after FA Cup heroics

Show/hide article…

Wigan’s success in the FA Cup is being celebrated with a fiery Will Grigg pie.

The striker, who scored the only goal in the Latics’ sensational fifth-round upset of Manchester City, is well known throughout the country and beyond for the catchy ‘Will Grigg’s on fire’ chant.

And The Rolling Pin Bakery in Wigan has created a special spicy chicken, chorizo and onion pie for the occasion, which will be sold before the quarter-final against Southampton on Sunday afternoon, complete with FA Cup trophy on its crust.

Dave and Sue Shaw, owners of The Rolling Pin Bakery, said: 'Reaching the quarter-finals has created a real atmosphere in the town and is also expected to provide local businesses like ours with a massive boost.

‘We’re expecting a bumper trade this weekend. As a way of celebrating the cup run and saying thank you to the club, players and fans, we worked with the FA to create this hot and fiery pie that reflects Will Grigg’s performances in the competition.’

It is the third time in six seasons Wigan have made it to the last eight of the competition, with Roberto Martinez’s side famously beating City to win the trophy in 2013.

The League One side’s earnings from this year’s tournament will top £1million irrespective of the result against Southampton.

...well-timedly forged by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 16/03/2018 19:46:33

|

| Soccer: New boss Hughes hopeful of Southampton’s top-flight survivalREUTERS |
| | SPORTSKEEDA |
| | Hughes: 'Saints players have clean slate’SPORTSMOLE |
| | EMIRATES FA CUP PREVIEW: WIGAN ATHLETIC V SOUTHAMPTONWIGANATHLETICAFC |
| | PAUL COOK ON THE ‘UNBELIEVABLE’ INCENTIVE IN THE EMIRATES FA CUP AGAINST SOUTHAMPTONWIGANATHLETICAFC |
| | Saints forward set for return to actionREADSOUTHAMPTON |

...blasphemously made by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Saints rumoured to be interested in Paris forward | Southampton are reportedly keeping a close eye on Paris FC youngster Ruben Kokolo. It’s claimed by French media … 16-03-2018 |

Older content…

| Hughes discusses whether or not he will stay at Saints beyond this season19 hours ago |
| Reflect on the last time Southampton took the trip to Wigan19 hours ago |
| Saints forward set for return to action19 hours ago |
| England call up, Hughes reaction and more: Southampton news round-up19 hours ago |
| Quiz - How well do you know new Southampton boss Mark Hughes?2 days ago |
| Chris Sutton highlights what Southampton’s board have done wrong this season2 days ago |
| Mark Hughes makes promise to Southampton fans2 days ago |
| Four reasons why Mark Hughes will lead Saints to survival2 days ago |
| Saints defender named in England squad2 days ago |

...inattentively hatched by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Reuters.co.uk article

New boss Hughes hopeful of Southampton’s top-flight survival

Show/hide article…

(Reuters) - Southampton’s new manager Mark Hughes is confident that his team can avoid relegation this season, saying that he had already seen positive signs in his first few training sessions in charge of the Premier League club.

Former Stoke City boss Hughes was appointed at Southampton on Wednesday, following the sacking of Mauricio Pellegrino earlier in the week, with Saints a point and a place above the drop zone with eight league games remaining.

Hughes will take charge of his first match when Southampton travel to Wigan Athletic in Sunday’s FA Cup quarter-final tie.

“I’ve been encouraged, working with the group in terms of quality and application, I know we have the talent to get the job done…,” Hughes told a news conference.

“I’ve been in the Premier League a long time and won a lot of points. We’re looking short term for now and that allows us to focus on the job at hand.

“There’s a real energy to the club, which I like. We’re all pushing in the right direction and we need to confirm that by winning football matches.”

Hughes, who was sacked by Stoke shortly after their FA Cup third round exit to Coventry City in January, believes the trip to Wigan is the perfect opportunity to lift fans’ spirits following a dismal league run.

“The FA Cup has been very good to me and has always figured highly in my career. I have a great affinity with the competition,” Hughes said.

“I think we are taking over 4000 to Wigan, and we need to give them something to cheer for, something to get behind.”

The 54-year-old, who played for Southampton from 1998 to 2000, believes he has bought a new level of intensity upon his return and hopes his players will benefit from it.

“I work in a certain way and I train at certain levels of intensity which I’m looking for from the players and I’ve seen that in the past few days,” Hughes added.

“…Maybe the intensity wasn’t that way before, but that’s the way I work and hopefully that can hold us in good stead.”

Southampton will be without injured striker Charlie Austin and midfielder Steven Davis for Sunday’s match, with the duo sidelined with hamstring injuries sustained in December and February respectively.

...charily originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Wigan v Southampton preview: Mark Hughes to take charge of first Saints game

Show/hide article…

Mark Hughes will take charge of his first game as Southampton manager on Sunday when the Saints travel to Wigan in the FA Cup quarter-finals.

The Welshman was appointed as Mauricio Pellegrino’s replacement on Wednesday, and his first task will be to navigate past the Sky Bet League One side - who knocked out Manchester City in the last round.

Hughes says he is only looking at the short-term goals at the club after signing a deal until the end of the season, and hopes that it can keep the team focused.

“I’d like to think that if we do the job here and we fulfil our remit then maybe there would be discussions about that [a longer deal], but that’s not any pressure I am trying to put on anyone else,” he said.

“I just think that will be a consequence of whether or not we’re successful in this short period so I’m not concentrating on that. It’s just about the here and now and getting on with the job in hand.”

Alongside the scalp of Man City, Wigan have also seen off other Premier League opposition in Bournemouth and West Ham, and manager Paul Cook thinks the Latics are being shown too much respect ahead of their FA Cup quarter-final.

“One of my pals texted me yesterday to say, ‘I won’t be able to come across for this one but I’ll get to the semi-final’. And I just looked at the text as if to say, ‘What planet is he on?’,” he said.

"When you’ve knocked teams out like we have, there is a little bit of that. It’s like people aren’t disrespecting us enough now and respecting Southampton enough.

“In our dressing room we’re fully aware what we’re about to engage with. We’ve had a great cup run… and now we go into a game on Sunday where people are actually saying to us it’s a 50-50 game. And as a manager, and a football fan for a long time, I don’t see it as a 50-50 game. I’d love to tell everyone I do, but I don’t see it as that at all.”

Hughes will only have two players unavailable for the trip to the DW Stadium, with Steven Davis and Charlie Austin both remaining sidelined.

Davis has not played in five weeks due to injury while striker Austin has been out of action since December with a hamstring strain.

Wigan will be without influential forward Nick Powell, who sustained a hamstring injury in the league victory over Bradford on Wednesday.

But in Will Grigg they have the competition’s leading scorer with seven goals already, including the winner against City in the last round.

Southampton are playing in their first FA Cup quarter-final since 2004/05, when they lost to Manchester United. They reached the final the last time they progressed beyond the quarter-final stage, doing so in 2002/03.

The Latics have already eliminated three top-flight teams this season (Bournemouth, West Ham and Man City) - the last team from outside the top-flight to eliminate four in a season were West Ham in 1979/80, with the Hammers winning the FA Cup that year.

Saints have progressed from 18 of their last 19 FA Cup ties against sides from a lower division - their only defeat in that run was against Bristol Rovers in February 2008.

Will Grigg has scored more goals than any other player in the FA Cup this season (7), including four goals against Premier League opposition.

Wigan got a huge result in midweek at Bradford - if they’d have lost that they wouldn’t have needed this game. They’ve got enough games in hand in the league as it is, so to fall another game behind while playing in the cup after not winning would not have been ideal. I can understand Mark Hughes’ appointment at Southampton, he played there. He’s the kind of manager that can get several wins on the spin and I think the Mark Hughes factor will be telling in his first game in charge.

...aggravatingly forged by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Gallery: Saints prepare for Hughes’s first game

Show/hide article…

Our club photographer was on hand to capture the best of the images from Staplewood Campus, where Southampton continued their preparations for Sunday’s Emirates FA Cup tie at Wigan.

...whiningly engineered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

GOAL: #SaintsFCU23s 0-2 #LCFC U23s (Sam Hughes 45)

Hughes rises highest to a Dewsbury-Hall corner and doubles Leic… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/974735250675781632

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 7

...dividedly whittled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Arsenal fixture moved to Sunday

Show/hide article…

Southampton’s televised away trip to face Arsenal has been moved after the two clubs and the Premier League reached an agreement.

The meeting at the Emirates Stadium was originally scheduled to take place on Monday 9th April at 8pm BST after being selected for Sky Sports coverage, will now take place on Sunday 8th April with a kick-off time of 2.15pm.

Please note, all purchased tickets for this fixture are still valid and for anyone who can’t make the rearranged date can contact the ticket office for a refund.

...adversely sired by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!