OptiNews - Friday 13 to Thursday 19 October 2017

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

The Ugly Inside News for Southampton

New content from (- The Ugly Inside News for Southampton)

| Shane Long Passes Muster For Sunday | Saints have a virtual clean bill of health for the game against Newcastle United with Shane Long fit after his … 13-10-2017 |

Older content…

| Saints Planning Barcelona Swoop In January !15 hours ago |
| The Ugly Inside TV ! Saints V Newcastle United Preview15 hours ago |
| Football Italian Style ! Palermo V Parma2 days ago |
| Saints V Newcastle United Dan’s Preview2 days ago |
| The Ugly Inside TV ! Saints V Newcastle Opposition View With Newcastle Fans TV2 days ago |
| Premier League Hint At Christmas Eve TV Fixture2 days ago |
| Shane Long A Doubt For Visit Of Newcastle2 days ago |
| Liverpool Release Glossary Of What Virgil Van Dijk Really Means !7 days ago |
| Saints Help Scupper Big Six Greed Plan8 days ago |
| Rickie Lambert Retires10 days ago |

...effortlessly designed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Press Conference (Part One): Pellegrino on Newcastle

Show/hide article…

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

Go to the original article…

...chastely manufactured by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 13/10/2017 16:05:23

| | NUFCBLOG |
| | Lawrenson, Owen and Merson: Pundits predict Newcastle to have tough time against SouthamptonCHRONICLELIVENEWS |
| | Saints interested in PSV youngster Steven BergwijnREADSOUTHAMPTON |
| | Rafa Benitez press conference LIVECHRONICLELIVENEWS |
| | Paul Merson predicts the result of the Southampton versus Newcastle United clash | FutnSoccerFUTNSOCCER |

...observantly spawned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

Southampton v Newcastle United

Show/hide article…

Southampton expect Shane Long to be fit to play despite the forward missing the Republic of Ireland’s win against Wales on Monday because of a hip injury.

Saints have reported no other new injury concerns.

Newcastle’s Jonjo Shelvey could play wearing a special cast, having broken a finger while trying to break up a training ground row a week ago.

Wingers Matt Ritchie and Christian Atsu are set to feature despite withdrawing from international duty.

Simon Brotherton: "Newcastle’s record at Southampton in the Premier League is a pretty miserable one that has seen them win on only one of the previous 16 visits.

"They’ll head south on a better recent run of results than their opponents though, with three wins from the last five matches.

"The only defeat in that run was along the coast in Brighton three weeks ago.

"Southampton’s biggest problem continues to be in front of goal. They’ve now failed to score in eight of the last nine at home in the Premier League.

“Wins over West Ham and Crystal Palace have kept them in the middle of the pack for the time being, but they’ve not been a big enough threat going forward.”

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino on Rafael Benitez: "He gave me the opportunity to work in professional football as his assistant [at Valencia] and to be in contact with the Premier League and with this wonderful team.

"I will always be grateful with Rafa, not just on the professional side, but he is a good example to me as a person, too.

"I am now in a situation where I play against him… we need to get a result because we deserved more from the last two matches.

“We played better than Stoke and we did not deserve to lose against Manchester United at home, so the game on Sunday will be important for us.”

"It was part of a small training game and there was a fight [between Jamaal Lascelles and Mo Diame]. Jonjo was in the middle so he was making peace and everything was fine.

"After the incident, they apologised to each other. Maybe they will buy lunch for everyone - it was Mo’s idea to take the team out to lunch.

"I have seen worse than that over the years. When you are in the middle of a game, and you are losing or winning, players can react in different ways.

“It is nothing… later on they were fine, and they have been training fine without anything special since.”

Southampton are a team that have been short of goals but they deserved to get something against Stoke in their last game, and I think they will edge this one.

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Liverpool that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

...aggrievedly fashioned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Premier League - Official Site article

DEFAULTVideo: Three key points: Southampton v Newcastle

Pellegrino’s team news update

Show/hide article…

Long missed Republic of Ireland’s crucial World Cup qualifying win over Wales on Monday, after picking up a hip injury in the victory at home to Georgia last Friday.

However, he has returned to training with Saints this week and looks set to be available when the Magpies visit St Mary’s on Sunday afternoon.

Pellegrino said in his pre-match press conference: “He was training today 100 per cent, he is much better, and I think he will be ready.”

The Saints boss also said that there were no other concerns following a busy week of international action for his players.

“All of them are ok,” he said. “Most of them didn’t play the second game – Maya, Mario, Fraser, Ryan, Shane, Davo. All of them more or less have had time to recover properly and I think they will be ready, most of them.”

Despite that positive news, though, Pellegrino says managers must always consider what being away with their national teams has taken out of players.

“Yes, it’s true, it’s a fact,” he said. "When you go to international senior teams and you are playing important games you have to be there focused, 100 per cent, and when they come back you don’t know how they will react, but I have to know what is the evolution of them between the international break and a Premier League game.

“Not everybody reacts in the same way. But, in this situation and occasion, I think all of them are prepared.”

...obdurately fathered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Long fit to start

Show/hide article…

Shane Long will be fit enough to face Newcastle on Sunday after overcoming an injury.

The Saints striker looked to be a doubt for the game at St Mary’s after picking up an injury on international duty with the Republic of Ireland.

However, Saints boss Mauricio Pellegrino confirmed that Long has been able to train at full tilt with the rest of the squad, and is available for selection.

Pellegrino said: “I think so. He was training today 100 per cent. He is much better.

“I think he will be ready.”

The manager has a clean bill of health for Newcastle with his 12 first team players that were away on international duty all returning fit and healthy.

“All of them are ok,” said a relieved Pellegrino.

“Most of them didn’t play the second game – Mario, Fraser, Ryan, Shane, Davis, the second game were more or less had time to recover properly and I think they will be ready, most of them.

“When you go to international senior teams and you are playing important games it is something you have to be there focussed 100 per cent and when they come back you don’t know how they will react.

“The conclusion for me is that I have to know how is the evolution of them between the international break and a Premier League game and not everybody reacts in the same way.

“Not everybody reacts in the same way and some are more prepared to play more games.

“In this situation I think all of them are prepared.”

...aesthetically hewn by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 13/10/2017 17:05:36

| | ‘They need to entertain’ … Sky Sports pundit delivers verdict on Southampton vs NewcastleFOOTBALLFANCAST |
| | Southampton scouting reportCHRONICLELIVENEWS |
| | Rafa Benitez Southampton press conference: Lascelles/Diame to buy lunch and no throw-ins for Shelvey | NUFCTHEMAG |
| | Wenger preparing to lock horns with Conte over Man Utd youngster, Southampton and Watford all keenTHEGOONER |

...talentedly begot by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Southampton Predicted XI: Newcastle (H) | Southampton will look to get back to winning ways on Sunday when they welcome Newcastle United to St Mary’s. The … 13-10-2017 |

Older content…

| Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur want to sign Steven Bergwijn from PSV17 hours ago |
| Southampton express interest in United youngster17 hours ago |
| Saints midfielder discusses new system under Pellegrino2 days ago |
| Barcelona transfer list Alcacer2 days ago |
| Southampton consider move for Hand2 days ago |
| Southampton star hopes to end 1000 minute goal drought3 days ago |
| Southampton striker suffers blow on international duty4 days ago |
| Southampton target confirms offer but says he doesn’t want to leave in January5 days ago |
| Which striker should start against Newcastle?6 days ago |

...comatosely invented by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

Mauricio in a Minute! :alarm_clock:

Catch up on the best of the #SaintsFC manager’s pre-#NUFC press conference in just 60 seco… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/918886559327440896

Retweets: 5

Favourites: 6

...lightheartedly coined by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Pellegrino on legal action reports

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino has refused to comment further on reports he is taking legal action against his former club Alaves over unpaid bonuses.

It has been reported that Pellegrino feels he is owed as much as €500,000 by the Spanish club, who refute the claims.

Pellegrino insisted the matter is in the hands of his lawyers.

He said: “It is something that my lawyer is managing.

“I don’t want to discuss this publically in the press.

“It is a sad moment for me but I have to do because I represent people who work there. I have to put my name there.”

Alaves have issued a statement on the issue which reads: "Ahead of the information being published that speaks of details of bonuses paid to Mauricio Pellegrino and the coaching staff, Deportivo Alaves says: 1. The amounts of bonuses reflected in the contract of Mauricio Pellegrino have been completely paid.

The bonuses considered are, among other things: survival in the league, Copa del Rey and final league position.

Mauricio Pellegrino, through his representatives, claims an additional bonus not reflected in his contract, alleging that he is owed part of the agreed bonuses for the players.

“Deportivo Alaves concludes that it has completed its contract with Mauricio Pellegrino and the coaching staff in its totality. It believes that it need not pay twice for the same thing.”

...suffocatingly cobbled together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 13/10/2017 18:05:50

|

| Southampton: Pellegrino confirms Long fitness ahead of NewcastleFANSIDEDSAINTSMARCHING |
| | Rafa Benitez reveals the ‘advantage’ Southampton have over NewcastleTHESHIELDSGAZETTE |
| | Predicted XI: Southampton (A)READNEWCASTLE |
| | Marching on to the SaintsNUFC |
| | Van Dijk, Walcott, Coutinho: Gone in Jan?UNDERTHECOSH |

...jointly formulated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Southampton v Newcastle preview: Struggling Saints hoping to get back on track

Show/hide article…

Southampton’s Mauricio Pellegrino will hope to relieve the pressure on his job with victory over Newcastle on Super Sunday.

The Saints have endured an underwhelming start to their 2017/18 Premier League campaign as they sit 12th in the Premier League table, scoring just five goals in the league this season.

Pellegrino’s side have failed to score in eight of their last nine home league matches. However, a win against Rafa Benitez’s Newcastle could see the south coast club leapfrog their opponents this weekend and possibly move into the top half of the table.

Southampton have lost their last two league matches against Stoke and Manchester United and will want to record their second home win of the season this weekend.

Before the international break, Newcastle impressively secured a 1-1 draw against Liverpool at St James’ Park. Benitez will want his team to carry that momentum into the weekend’s clash.

Shane Long will be fit for Southampton after missing the Republic of Ireland’s World Cup qualifier against Wales with a hip injury, but is available for Mauricio Pellegrino on Sunday.

The Saints manager also revealed there were no fresh injury concerns following the international break.

Jonjo Shelvey will be available for selection despite breaking a finger as he intervened in a training ground bust-up.

Shelvey was hurt as he stepped in between skipper Jamaal Lascelles and Mohamed Diame as tempers flared during the international break, but will play wearing a special cast if called upon.

Benitez otherwise has no fresh injuries with only Paul Dummett (hamstring) and Massadio Haidara (knee) still missing.

Southampton have won more Premier League games in total (15) and at home (12) against Newcastle than they have against any other side in the competition.

Newcastle have failed to keep an away clean sheet against Southampton in the top-flight in each of their last 26 games, since a 0-0 draw in February 1969.

The Magpies have won just five points from their last 42 available on the road in the Premier League (W1 D2 L11), with that win coming at Swansea last month.

Saints have failed to score in eight of their last nine home Premier League matches, with the exception being a 3-2 win against West Ham in August.

Newcastle have averaged the youngest starting line-up in the Premier League this season (25 years, 211 days). Indeed, five of the 10 youngest starting XI’s this term have been named by Rafael Benitez.

Since the start of last season, Charlie Austin is Southampton’s top scorer at home in the Premier League despite playing just 12 times (five goals).

Southampton are a funny team who don’t score enough goals. I know people will be surprised that I’d say they will win this 2-0 but I just think sooner or later something has to happen and they need to start entertaining otherwise Mauricio Pellegrino is going to be in trouble.

They sacked the last manager because he was not entertaining enough and the new manager is no different so far. Newcastle had a good result against Liverpool but I also look at their last away game when they lost at Brighton.

...ingenuously manufactured by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Rafa Benitez plays down Jamaal Lascelles and Mo Diame ‘fight’ at Newcastle training ground

Show/hide article…

Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez has played down the training ground bust-up that occurred between Jamaal Lascelles and Mo Diame during the international break.

Benitez - speaking ahead of the Super Sunday game with Southampton, live on Sky Sports - admitted the two had to be separated by Jonjo Shelvey, who broke his finger during the incident, but insisted he was not unduly concerned by their coming together.

“It was a surprise, it was part of a small football competition. [There was] a fight, everybody knows there was a fight,” he said.

"Jonjo was in the middle, he was making peace, and everything was fine.

"After the incident they apologised to each other and they will maybe pay for lunch for everyone. That was Mo’s idea.

"I’ve seen worse than that, so many players, so many years.

“It was a normal thing that sometimes happens when you are challenging for something or in the middle of a game. It was nothing.”

Benitez, who confirmed Shelvey will be fit for the trip to St Mary’s, will go up against old friend and colleague Mauricio Pellegrino on the south coast, with the Southampton manager having worked as a player under him at Valencia and Liverpool, before joining his coaching staff at Anfield and then moving with him to Inter Milan.

While admitting he is looking forward to pitting his wits against Pellegrino, Benitez conceded he and his opposite number will know each other’s tactics inside out.

“He was my player in Valencia for two years, where we won the league and the UEFA Cup,” added Benitez.

"After I came here [England] I needed someone to manage the defence a little. His English was not amazing so it was not easy for him.

"He was my player at Liverpool and after, my assistant in Italy. I obviously have a very good relationship with him.

"He is someone who works hard and he is very focused. He likes to study and he likes to learn. He is already a good manager but I think he will be even better.

“He knows everything about me because he was my player for years and afterwards, my assistant. He has an advantage but at the same time, we know him really well, so we will see.”

Despite losing three out of their last four Premier League games and scoring only five goals in seven top-flight games this season, Benitez remains hopeful Southampton will improve - after they meet at the weekend.

“They are a good team but maybe they are not so lucky because they are playing well but they are not scoring too many goals,” he said.

“Hopefully they will continue like that this week and after they will do well!”

Watch Southampton v Newcastle on Super Sunday. Coverage begins on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Premier League from 3:30pm.

...eloquently given life to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#SaintsFC’s @OriolRomeu is our latest cover star for Sunday’s programme against #NUFC!

Retweets: 4

Favourites: 21

...complementarily thrown together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Southampton’s Mauricio Pellegrino ‘grateful’ to former boss Rafa Benitez

Show/hide article…

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino has revealed he “will always be grateful” to his former manager Rafa Benitez ahead of the meeting between their sides this weekend.

Benitez’s Newcastle travel to St Mary’s on Sunday to play Southampton as they look to get back to winning ways in the Premier League, live on Sky Sports.

Pellegrino played under Benitez at Valencia and Liverpool, he went on to return to Anfield in 2008 as part of the Spaniard’s coaching staff.

And the 46-year-old has hailed the influence Benitez had on him “personally and professionally”.

“I will always be grateful to Rafa because he’s a good example for me both personally and professionally,” Pellegrino told reporters.

"First of all he was a really important team-mate because we were working together in Valencia as a player and after in Liverpool.

"He gave me the opportunity to work in professional football as an assistant (manager). "

Southampton striker Shane Long missed the Republic of Ireland’s 1-0 victory over Wales on Monday with a hip injury but Pellegrino confirmed Long would be “ready” for the Newcastle game.

When asked about Long’s availability, he said: “I think so. He was training today, he is one-hundred per cent and feeling much better - I think he will be ready.”

...vauntingly begot by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:eyes:

#SaintsFC fans can take a sneak peek at what’s inside our latest edition of SAINTS for the visit of #NUFC: http://bit.ly/ProgNU

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 1

...understatedly conceived by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Ticket Information: Saints vs Newcastle

Show/hide article…

Saints face Newcastle in the Premier League on Sunday 15th October (4pm). Ticket information is as follows:

Become an Official Member and get priority access on tickets to each and every home match. Adult Members will also now benefit from £5 off two Premier League fixtures whilst Junior Members will receive enhanced Welcome Packs with free gifts. Find out more about Official Membership here.

For certain fixtures, groups of 20 or more can make savings. Find out more and enquire here.

Making a weekend of it? Book your ticket and hotel break via Thomas Cook Sport. Find out more and book online at thomascooksport.com

Tickets are restricted to one per Supporter Number. Fans can purchase more than one ticket in each transaction by linking other eligible accounts with theirs using our friends and family function.

...foresakenly instigated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 13/10/2017 19:06:05

| | Shane Long Passes Muster For Sunday - Southampton NewsTHEUGLYINSIDE |
| | Long set for Saints startCLUBCALL |

...histrionically generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Long passed fit to face Newcastle | Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino has confirmed that Shane Long is fit ahead of the club’s clash with … 13-10-2017 |
| Southampton vs Newcastle United: Match Preview | Southampton host Newcastle on Sunday afternoon as they go in search of just their third victory of the season … 13-10-2017 |

Older content…

| Southampton Predicted XI: Newcastle (H)19 hours ago |
| Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur want to sign Steven Bergwijn from PSV19 hours ago |
| Southampton express interest in United youngster19 hours ago |
| Saints midfielder discusses new system under Pellegrino2 days ago |
| Barcelona transfer list Alcacer2 days ago |
| Southampton consider move for Hand2 days ago |
| Southampton star hopes to end 1000 minute goal drought3 days ago |
| Southampton striker suffers blow on international duty4 days ago |

...irenically bred by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!