🗓 On this date in history

2005:

For the first time, Saints wore shirts specially embroidered with poppies. These were later auctioned off to raise funds for the Royal British Legion following the 0-0 draw with Leicester.

1. Saints bet Stoke 3-2 at home, but for some reason it was a 7pm k.o. As it was my parents turn to host the local firework party, this 8 year old was not allowed to go to the game.

Cue an evening long sulk and a lifelong hatred of firewoks and bonfires.

1. Blackburn 2 Saints 1. “We hate Bailey!”

Osgood and Williams sent off. Osgood never played for us again and I got a kicking from the old bill for trying to get on the pitch at the ref.

6th November

45 (Forty Five) years ago!!!

1970:

Aerosmith performed their first ever gig when they played at Nipmuc Regional High School in Mendon, Massachusetts. Sometimes referred to as “The Bad Boys from Boston”, Aerosmith became the best-selling American rock band of all time, having sold more than 150 million albums worldwide. They also hold the record for the most gold and multi-platinum albums by an American group.

8th November

1987: Bomb kills 11 at Enniskillen.

A bomb has exploded during a Remembrance Day service at Enniskillen in County Fermanagh, killing 11 people.
It is the highest death toll in a terrorist attack in Northern Ireland for five years.

At least 63 people were injured in the blast, nine of them seriously.

The device went off without warning at 1045 GMT at the town’s cenotaph where people had gathered to pay their respects to the war dead.

Ken Dodd was born.

Le Tissier scored his first league goal in a 3-1 defeat a Hillsborough. He came off the bench to lob the keeper 3 minutes from time.

9th November

huge day in world history!

1989: Berliners celebrate the fall of the Wall.
The Berlin Wall has been breached after nearly three decades keeping East and West Berliners apart.
At midnight East Germany’s Communist rulers gave permission for gates along the Wall to be opened after hundreds of people converged on crossing points.

They surged through cheering and shouting and were be met by jubilant West Berliners on the other side.

Ecstatic crowds immediately began to clamber on top of the Wall and hack large chunks out of the 28-mile (45-kilometre) barrier.

1 Like

10th November 1969…Fleetwood Mac were at No.2 in the charts…

1 Like

10th November.

1980: Michael Foot is new Labour leader.

The Labour Party has chosen the outspoken left-wing MP Michael Foot as its new leader.
In the second round of voting by party MPs Mr Foot defeated his main rival Denis Healey by 139 votes to 129 - an unexpectedly large margin.

The result has surprised political commentators who had predicted Mr Healey would win.

1975:

David Bowie was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘Space Oddity’ the track was first released in 1969 to tie in with the Apollo 11 moon landing. Rick Wakeman (former keyboard player with Yes) provided synthesizer backing. Bowie would later revisit his Major Tom character in the songs ‘Ashes to Ashes’ and ‘Hallo Spaceboy’.

1943 -My old man was born

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

Ah, very nice.

Did he ever say “be a Pompey fan”?

1. Saints beat European Champions, Nottingham Forest 4-1. Brilliant performance with Phil Boyer getting 2.
1 Like

Nope he was/is West Ham…Ahrrr.

Originally posted by @pap

Ah, very nice.

Did he ever say “be a Pompey fan”?

Nope he was/is West Ham…Ahrrr.

You see, I think my old man has. Technically.

Assuming he has sung that beautifully succinct song at least once, those words have actually left his gob. Sure, you have to take the bloke out of context like Cameron on Corbyn at a party conference, but I for one feel it is better to be safe than sorry, even if it results in a dry slap at a future family conference.

Fuck off dad, you’re a cunt*

*(not that the lazy bollix can be found on the Internet much these days, least of all here)

12th November 1977. Saints 2 Blackpool 0.

Making his debut that day was my good mate, Graham Baker. Whilst I was explaining to the blokes next to me on the Milton Terrace, who he was, he only went and scored after 50 seconds.

And it was on MOTD!

12th November

1984 - notes out - pound coins in
The English pound note is to disappear after more than 150 years.
News of the familiar green £1 note’s withdrawal came when Chancellor Nigel Lawson made his autumn statement in parliament on Monday.

Mr Lawson said the note - popularly known as a “quid” - would be phased out and replaced by coins which were introduced last April.

saints beat Villa 3-1 to go 3rd in the table. But this was our last win for 17 games, until Neil ruddock scored from the spot in the last minute of our home game with Newcastle (April 1st).

Ron Davies failed to become the first saints player to score in 11 consecutive games. He did go on to score in the next 3 games after. Vardy who?

1 Like

1850 - Robert Louis (pronounced Lewis) Stevenson was born, however today is and is not his birthday

He gifted his birthday to someone. While he was living in the South Seas – where he would die in 1894 – Stevenson discovered that the 12-year-old daughter of Henry Clay Ide, the US Commissioner to Samoa, had her birthday on Christmas Day and disliked this. All her friends had a birthday _and _Christmas Day (and so two lots of presents!), whereas she had to make do with one special day each year. Stevenson nobly signed away all ‘rights’ to his birthday to the girl, as a letter of 1891 makes clear: ‘I … Have transferred, and do hereby transfer to the said A. H. Ide, All and Whole of my rights and privileges in the 13th day of November, formerly my birthday, now, hereby, and henceforth, the birthday of the said A. H. Ide, to have, hold, exercise and enjoy the same in the customary manner, by the sporting of fine raiment, eating of rich meats and receipt of gifts, compliments and copies of verse, according to the manner of our ancestors.’ What a nice man!

1 Like